1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    8 Global Posts

Question How do you stop all data transfer except wifi?

Here it is if you go on vacation and dont want to get charged for roaming, but you do want to have the phone on in case of emergency from back home, for example, and you want to take advantage of wifi if there is one available? But definitely NO any other data transfer.
    Thanks

Default Re: How do you stop all data transfer except wifi?

I think the trick is turn on airplane mode and then turn on only wifi manually. But verify before you go!

ROM
    Super Beans n Kernels

^^^THIS. Turn on airplane mode, then turn on WiFi (GPS will work this way too).

Disable Nexus 4 Cell Phone without removing SIM

I use an app called connection mode toggle. Allows me to turn data off. But you would still need to make sure that roaming is not enabled in settings>more> mobile networks. The default, no check mark is no roaming I believe.

the OP wants to be able to have the phone ring, so airplane mode won't work.

Just go to settings-->data usage--> 3 dot menu--> make sure data roaming is unchecked. I've travelled many times and nave never had any data while roaming.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    8 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wunderbar View Post
    the OP wants to be able to have the phone ring, so airplane mode won't work.

Just go to settings-->data usage--> 3 dot menu--> make sure data roaming is unchecked. I've travelled many times and nave never had any data while roaming.
    Thanks everyone, and yes this is exactly what I need. So, even if some apps are set to auto-synch, or have push notifications, it'll work only on wifi, right? Perfect

ROM
    LiquidSmooth

You can find many mobile data toggles.. Just switch the toggle to off and your mobile data will never be used.

Quote Originally Posted by divandan View Post
    Thanks everyone, and yes this is exactly what I need. So, even if some apps are set to auto-synch, or have push notifications, it'll work only on wifi, right? Perfect
    That's correct. The phone knows when you are roaming and if you telling not to use data when roaming, it won't. I spend a couple weeks every year out of country and have never paid a dime for roaming data.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

ROM
    CM10

All the solutions presented so far seem overly complicated. Isn't this the toggle the OP is looking for?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How do you stop all data transfer except wifi?-picsay-1363227315.jpg