How to send and recieve mms without manually turning on mobile data everytime

DJjames2

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
I think the question was posed wrong. I have the same issue now that I have an S3. On my old HTC Legend my mobile internet would automatically turn on to download picks sent, them shut off when finished. How can I get my S3 to do that? I don't see a setting and don't want to physically turn on my mobile or wi-fi everytime.

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Unless there is an app that will let you do that, I think you're out of luck. My Rezound would do it, but my S3 would not (can't find anything in settings to allow it) and my Nexus 5 won't. I think it was just an HTC thing and not sure they do it any more.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Nate Fitzgerald

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Running HTC One unlocked edition on ATT, Android 4.4.2. When I receive an MMS with mobile data disabled, mobile data will turn automatically long enough to get the MMS, then it turns back off. This occurs even when connected to wifi. When this happens, the ATT 3G microcell that I'm using will drop calls.

Bambii68

May 10, 2014
Visit site
I have that same problem. I want to be able to send and receive MMS but not use my mobile data why can't it just work over wifi? By the way I'm on a galaxy s5 on AT&T. I am your stand turning it on to send and receive for now but I don't want to have to use my data plan, that's stupid!!!

ceeck

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
I also have this problem. You asked, These two words suggests additional possibilities of inquisition, including "why is my mobil data being turned off regularly", Cant figure this out. Help.

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Just a too little too late reply - pre Lollipop on Verizon - SMS apps were permitted to turn cellular data on and off in the background. Chomp was one SMS app that would do this - just received an update which informed users that the Lollipop OS would not allow this - the setting was deep in preferences

spoutinwyze

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
If you're at the house, just turn on WiFi and turn off data...

Sent from my Verizon Droid DNA

Youd certainly expect so. I suppose in the end the reason is because when you send information to a telephone it is sent via your carrier. Whereas data otherwise sent over tcp/ip can remain through wifi routers.
I know that voip allows the ability to send tcp/ip data to a carrier however i havent found any decent programs (as a canadian) to send mms to my phone friends.
Android could certainly implement a patch to allow for this but at current date it is not possible.

spoutinwyze

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
Android needs an uodate. Its not pissible because the devs decided uou shouldnt have this feature. Its stupid i know. All it requires is a simple voip program.

Brandon Near

Jan 28, 2017
Visit site
I know it's an old post but I'll jump all over this and say that I did not need to have my data enabled when sending and receiving MMS messages while using my Windows based Nokia Lumia 920 on the Bell Canada mobile network. My Data was always switched to off because I am not on a plan and using data will cost a fortune. My plan is a $25 per month (non contract) pay as you go type of plan that provides 200 minutes anytime calling, unlimited night time and weekend calling, unlimited text and MMS and Data usages charged per use to the tune of about $1 per MB used. On the Nokia phone I am able to disable Data but still send and receive MMS but on my LG G4 using the same SIM card I am only able to send and receive MMS with Data turned on.

Brandon Near

Jan 28, 2017
Visit site
Also I would like to add that, on my LG G4, wi-fi on, data off = no MMS. wi-fi off and data off = no MMS, data on and wi-fi in both its states = MMS.

For some reason my LG G4 requires Data to be on, that really and truly sucks

LanaLee poirier

Feb 10, 2017
Visit site
I understand your pain. I have a 200mb plan with AT&T. So I always leave data off. I would never receive any MMS notification. People would have to tell me in advance to turn on my data so they can send me a picture. Fun, eh?

Posted from my Nexus 4 via Android Central App

Well, when I had limited data, this was a problème for me also, but I soon realised that my carrier has a separate calculation for pic send via text msg. Now with unlimited data (which is limited at 12g) has unlimited pic and video msg on text message with in my country. When I am in another country, I have to purcahse a data plan, that doesn't include any pic on sms. And pic sent would be an extra charge. It would be nice to be able to send PICs on sms with wifi such as the other ugly rotten fruits so called phones. So the way around it for now, is to send PICs with wifi on an app. Such as bbm or Facebook also Textplus works great and even for calls over wifi. There are other apps for that but don't remember the names of the apps.
So hope this helps, unlike other condescending replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000