T-Mobile + LTE

dsneedmd

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Dose anyone know if T-Mobile has any official plans to activate LTE on the N4 when they launch their LTE service, or will we all have to root our N4s to get it?

Jaysus

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Not going to happen... the N4 does not technically support LTE (even though the chipset or whatever is built in)

paral3ellum

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't count on an OTA update for two reasons: 1. The N4's software is not managed by T-Mobile because it's an unbranded Nexus device; therefore software is managed by Google. 2. T-Mobile will have to get the N4 certified by the FCC to work with LTE on the AWS band.

If we see the FCC certification then maybe but i wouldn't hold you're breath.

CoMoNexus

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
I'd like to see something official (e.g., documentation on the FCC website) that proves the commission didn't approve the LTE aspect of the N4.

PWC Realtor

May 17, 2010
Visit site
People are saying they haven't seen the official FCC paperwork regarding the Note 2 yet. We also need to remember that T-mobile could do provisioning for LTE which means they could see your using an N4 and lock you out of LTE.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Really... you need proof that the FCC didn't approve LTE for the Nexus 4? Really? Me too. I think Google, AT&T and T-Mobile... along with ALL the reviews have lied about this.

CoMoNexus

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
When the N4 debuted, I remember lots of reviewers knocking it for not having LTE. Then someone bothered to look beyond the published specs and found that its chipset supports LTE.

Considering how much it costs to add LTE to a chipset, and considering how handset vendors scrutinize every penny, I doubt that LG and Google spent the money to put it in there if they didn't have plans to activate it at some point.

Of course, this debate could be easily resolved by simply providing a link to an FCC Web page showing that LTE wasn't approved.

Bob Coxner

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
TMobile is soon turning on LTE on other phones, so the N4 could certainly be one of them.

T-Mobile rumored 4G LTE network ready for March 26 | Digital Trends

But the Z10 isn?t the only 4G LTE phone in T-Mobile?s arsenal, as in preparation for the big switch on, it?s sending out a software update which will enable 4G LTE connectivity in its Samsung Galaxy Note 2 devices. Not everyone will see such an update though, as it?ll only show up if you live in an area where T-Mobile will offer 4G LTE. According to eWeek, the Nokia 810 will also be getting a similar update in the near future.

minnemike

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
When the N4 debuted, I remember lots of reviewers knocking it for not having LTE. Then someone bothered to look beyond the published specs and found that its chipset supports LTE.

Considering how much it costs to add LTE to a chipset, and considering how handset vendors scrutinize every penny, I doubt that LG and Google spent the money to put it in there if they didn't have plans to activate it at some point.

Of course, this debate could be easily resolved by simply providing a link to an FCC Web page showing that LTE wasn't approved.

Actually - as a standard with electronics, it is more often more cost effective to disable features, than to custom build something with a variety of features. Once you have a mold, it often costs more to create another one than to simply turn off a switch for features and charge accordingly. If I remember right, the OPtimus G is basically the same phone apart from LTE, which would lend to the idea of it being cheaper to simply disable instead of make a completely different design.

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
I'd like to see something official (e.g., documentation on the FCC website) that proves the commission didn't approve the LTE aspect of the N4.

Ok, was a little bored sitting here at home. So here ya go.

LTE iPhone 5 link, scrool towards the bottome and you will see the LTE tests.

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/repo...ication_id=661877&typ=8374&fcc_id='BCG-E2599A

LTE Samsung Galaxy S3 for T-mobile, you will see the LTE tests.

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/repo...me=N&application_id=296235&fcc_id=A3LSGHT999L

Samsung Galaxy Camara with Verizon LTE, you will see the LTE tests.

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/repo...me=N&application_id=757014&fcc_id='A3LEKGC120'

LG Nexus 4, no LTE tests were done.

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/repo...lledFromFrame=N&application_id=876809&fcc_id=

So will this now end the debate on LTE with the nexus?

CoMoNexus

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
Actually - as a standard with electronics, it is more often more cost effective to disable features, than to custom build something with a variety of features. Once you have a mold, it often costs more to create another one than to simply turn off a switch for features and charge accordingly.

But there are plenty of HSPA/UMTS/EDGE/GPRS/GSM chipsets to choose from, so it wouldn't have been a custom build. Instead, LG and Google chose an LTE/HSPA/UMTS/EDGE/GPRS/GSM chipset.

Depending on how many chipsets a vendor orders, the addition of LTE commands a premium of at least $40.

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
But there are plenty of HSPA/UMTS/EDGE/GPRS/GSM chipsets to choose from, so it wouldn't have been a custom build. Instead, LG and Google chose an LTE/HSPA/UMTS/EDGE/GPRS/GSM chipset.

Depending on how many chipsets a vendor orders, the addition of LTE commands a premium of at least $40.

My guess is the got a better deal ordering millions of the chipsets to use in both phones, rather then buy two chipsets. Google probably didn't anticipate the huge demand of the Nexus 4, since the previous Nexus phones were never big sellers, and seen it would be cheaper to use the same as the Optimus phone. Can't get much of a deal if your only ordering a few hundred thousand compared to a couple a million.

Tall Mike 2145

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I don't give a damn what anyone says

SISYPHUS.GIF

(after all, it is a free country, no?)

minnemike

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site

LG made both the Optimus G and the N4 - same processor that shares the built in LTE components in both. It was cost effective to use the same one in both no matter the slight difference in price - doing so would call for a whole cascade of extra design/programming jobs to account for the differences. Parts are not the biggest investment in making these things - it's more about design, development and mass production.

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Ok, was a little bored sitting here at home. So here ya go.

LTE iPhone 5 link, scrool towards the bottome and you will see the LTE tests.

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/repo...ication_id=661877&typ=8374&fcc_id='BCG-E2599A

LTE Samsung Galaxy S3 for T-mobile, you will see the LTE tests.

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/repo...me=N&application_id=296235&fcc_id=A3LSGHT999L

Samsung Galaxy Camara with Verizon LTE, you will see the LTE tests.

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/repo...me=N&application_id=757014&fcc_id='A3LEKGC120'

LG Nexus 4, no LTE tests were done.

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/repo...lledFromFrame=N&application_id=876809&fcc_id=

So will this now end the debate on LTE with the nexus?

Lmao..... You the man Chubb!

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
What a shame. If I were on t mobile would be beyond pissed if I had a N4 on that network and they could not enable LTE on it even those it was there before the 4.2.2 update.

Where has common sense gone? Is everyone going to have to get a new phone for LTE? Except the Note 2?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317

minnemike

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
What a shame. If I were on t mobile would be beyond pissed if I had a N4 on that network and they could not enable LTE on it even those it was there before the 4.2.2 update.

Where has common sense gone? Is everyone going to have to get a new phone for LTE? Except the Note 2?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317

You can still enable it. It just isn't Google sanctioned or Google enabled. Many other Tmo phones are getting the LTE update. My guess is LG has a deal with Google not to kill the value of the Optimus G by having the Nexus be so much cheaper as the only difference.

CoMoNexus

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
The cost of LTE is not "slight." An HSPA chipset with 3G/2.5G/2G fallback costs about $50. An LTE chipset that includes HSPA and 3G/2.5G/2G fallback goes for about $100.

In any smartphone, the chipset typically is the largest part of the BOM cost, followed by the display.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae