Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default T-Mobile + LTE

Dose anyone know if T-Mobile has any official plans to activate LTE on the N4 when they launch their LTE service, or will we all have to root our N4s to get it?

Default Re: T-Mobile + LTE

Not going to happen... the N4 does not technically support LTE (even though the chipset or whatever is built in)

I wouldn't count on an OTA update for two reasons: 1. The N4's software is not managed by T-Mobile because it's an unbranded Nexus device; therefore software is managed by Google. 2. T-Mobile will have to get the N4 certified by the FCC to work with LTE on the AWS band.

If we see the FCC certification then maybe but i wouldn't hold you're breath.

I'd like to see something official (e.g., documentation on the FCC website) that proves the commission didn't approve the LTE aspect of the N4.

Global Posts
    606 Global Posts
    ROM
    CodeName 3.3

People are saying they haven't seen the official FCC paperwork regarding the Note 2 yet. We also need to remember that T-mobile could do provisioning for LTE which means they could see your using an N4 and lock you out of LTE.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    1,168 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 4.4.2

Really... you need proof that the FCC didn't approve LTE for the Nexus 4? Really? Me too. I think Google, AT&T and T-Mobile... along with ALL the reviews have lied about this.
    If my post helped you out...please be kind and hit the "THANKS BUTTON."

When the N4 debuted, I remember lots of reviewers knocking it for not having LTE. Then someone bothered to look beyond the published specs and found that its chipset supports LTE.

Considering how much it costs to add LTE to a chipset, and considering how handset vendors scrutinize every penny, I doubt that LG and Google spent the money to put it in there if they didn't have plans to activate it at some point.

Of course, this debate could be easily resolved by simply providing a link to an FCC Web page showing that LTE wasn't approved.

TMobile is soon turning on LTE on other phones, so the N4 could certainly be one of them.

But the Z10 isnt the only 4G LTE phone in T-Mobiles arsenal, as in preparation for the big switch on, its sending out a software update which will enable 4G LTE connectivity in its Samsung Galaxy Note 2 devices. Not everyone will see such an update though, as itll only show up if you live in an area where T-Mobile will offer 4G LTE. According to eWeek, the Nokia 810 will also be getting a similar update in the near future.

Sure as heck I'm going to flash the N4 to re-enable the LTE antenna and test it once LTE is available around NYC, I don't give a damn what anyone says about it being possible or not.

tested with a Nexus 4...
    WHITE 32GB NEXUS 5
    ConTejas and minnemike like this.

Quote Originally Posted by CoMoNexus View Post
    When the N4 debuted, I remember lots of reviewers knocking it for not having LTE. Then someone bothered to look beyond the published specs and found that its chipset supports LTE.

Considering how much it costs to add LTE to a chipset, and considering how handset vendors scrutinize every penny, I doubt that LG and Google spent the money to put it in there if they didn't have plans to activate it at some point.

Of course, this debate could be easily resolved by simply providing a link to an FCC Web page showing that LTE wasn't approved.
    Actually - as a standard with electronics, it is more often more cost effective to disable features, than to custom build something with a variety of features. Once you have a mold, it often costs more to create another one than to simply turn off a switch for features and charge accordingly. If I remember right, the OPtimus G is basically the same phone apart from LTE, which would lend to the idea of it being cheaper to simply disable instead of make a completely different design.

Quote Originally Posted by andr0idralphie View Post
    Sure as heck I'm going to flash the N4 to re-enable the LTE antenna and test it once LTE is available around NYC, I don't give a damn what anyone says about it being possible or not.

tested with a Nexus 4...
    Very interested to see the results with the quality of reception and battery drain.

ROM
    Stock Xoom, Nexus 4 AOKP

I'd like to see something official (e.g., documentation on the FCC website) that proves the commission didn't approve the LTE aspect of the N4.
    Ok, was a little bored sitting here at home. So here ya go.

LTE iPhone 5 link, scrool towards the bottome and you will see the LTE tests.

LTE Samsung Galaxy S3 for T-mobile, you will see the LTE tests.

Samsung Galaxy Camara with Verizon LTE, you will see the LTE tests.

'

LG Nexus 4, no LTE tests were done.

So will this now end the debate on LTE with the nexus?

Quote Originally Posted by minnemike View Post
    Actually - as a standard with electronics, it is more often more cost effective to disable features, than to custom build something with a variety of features. Once you have a mold, it often costs more to create another one than to simply turn off a switch for features and charge accordingly.
    But there are plenty of HSPA/UMTS/EDGE/GPRS/GSM chipsets to choose from, so it wouldn't have been a custom build. Instead, LG and Google chose an LTE/HSPA/UMTS/EDGE/GPRS/GSM chipset.

Depending on how many chipsets a vendor orders, the addition of LTE commands a premium of at least $40.

ROM
    Stock Xoom, Nexus 4 AOKP

But there are plenty of HSPA/UMTS/EDGE/GPRS/GSM chipsets to choose from, so it wouldn't have been a custom build. Instead, LG and Google chose an LTE/HSPA/UMTS/EDGE/GPRS/GSM chipset.

Depending on how many chipsets a vendor orders, the addition of LTE commands a premium of at least $40.
    My guess is the got a better deal ordering millions of the chipsets to use in both phones, rather then buy two chipsets. Google probably didn't anticipate the huge demand of the Nexus 4, since the previous Nexus phones were never big sellers, and seen it would be cheaper to use the same as the Optimus phone. Can't get much of a deal if your only ordering a few hundred thousand compared to a couple a million.

Quote Originally Posted by andr0idralphie View Post
    I don't give a damn what anyone says

(after all, it is a free country, no?)

LG made both the Optimus G and the N4 - same processor that shares the built in LTE components in both. It was cost effective to use the same one in both no matter the slight difference in price - doing so would call for a whole cascade of extra design/programming jobs to account for the differences. Parts are not the biggest investment in making these things - it's more about design, development and mass production.
    ConTejas likes this.

Global Posts
    1,168 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 4.4.2

Quote Originally Posted by chubb View Post
    Ok, was a little bored sitting here at home. So here ya go.

LTE iPhone 5 link, scrool towards the bottome and you will see the LTE tests.

LTE Samsung Galaxy S3 for T-mobile, you will see the LTE tests.

Samsung Galaxy Camara with Verizon LTE, you will see the LTE tests.

'

LG Nexus 4, no LTE tests were done.

So will this now end the debate on LTE with the nexus?

Lmao..... You the man Chubb!
    If my post helped you out...please be kind and hit the "THANKS BUTTON."

What a shame. If I were on t mobile would be beyond pissed if I had a N4 on that network and they could not enable LTE on it even those it was there before the 4.2.2 update.

Where has common sense gone? Is everyone going to have to get a new phone for LTE? Except the Note 2?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317
    Lumia 925 w/Black, Nexus 5 (32GB), Moto X (32GB), Lumia 1020, Google Edition S4, Galaxy S4 (32GB), S4 Active, Nexus 4, Note 2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note (ATT), Galaxy Note Intl., Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, Nexus S, Atrix 2, Atrix, Galaxy S1 Captivate, Nexus 7 (32GB), iPad 4, Dell Venue Pro 8
    and yes...an iPhone 5 too...

Quote Originally Posted by planoman View Post
    What a shame. If I were on t mobile would be beyond pissed if I had a N4 on that network and they could not enable LTE on it even those it was there before the 4.2.2 update.

Where has common sense gone? Is everyone going to have to get a new phone for LTE? Except the Note 2?

You can still enable it. It just isn't Google sanctioned or Google enabled. Many other Tmo phones are getting the LTE update. My guess is LG has a deal with Google not to kill the value of the Optimus G by having the Nexus be so much cheaper as the only difference.

The cost of LTE is not "slight." An HSPA chipset with 3G/2.5G/2G fallback costs about $50. An LTE chipset that includes HSPA and 3G/2.5G/2G fallback goes for about $100.

In any smartphone, the chipset typically is the largest part of the BOM cost, followed by the display.

Quote Originally Posted by minnemike View Post
    You can still enable it. It just isn't Google sanctioned or Google enabled. Many other Tmo phones are getting the LTE update. My guess is LG has a deal with Google not to kill the value of the Optimus G by having the Nexus be so much cheaper as the only difference.
    Do you mean by hacking the old radio? Not sure why I thought they would just need to update the N4 to use LTE. They are after all selling the phone as they launch their LTE network.

I knew I would never get it on att, but I have a new sealed N4 for my wife on t mobile that I was going to give her when the LTE network hit DFW...she did not want to give up her S3.

Oh well...I guess it is off to craigslist with her N4...

Lumia 925 w/Black, Nexus 5 (32GB), Moto X (32GB), Lumia 1020, Google Edition S4, Galaxy S4 (32GB), S4 Active, Nexus 4, Note 2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note (ATT), Galaxy Note Intl., Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, Nexus S, Atrix 2, Atrix, Galaxy S1 Captivate, Nexus 7 (32GB), iPad 4, Dell Venue Pro 8
    and yes...an iPhone 5 too...

ROM
    Stock Xoom, Nexus 4 AOKP

Do you mean by hacking the old radio? Not sure why I thought they would just need to update the N4 to use LTE. They are after all selling the phone as they launch their LTE network.

I knew I would never get it on att, but I have a new sealed N4 for my wife on t mobile that I was going to give her when the LTE network hit DFW...she did not want to give up her S3.

Oh well...I guess it is off to craigslist with her N4...

I wouldn't count on an update to get LTE, since they would have to send it to the FCC to get it certified. Plus many software tweaks would have to be done. If Google won't do it, I don't see LG or T-Mobile doing it.

ROM
    Stock Xoom, Nexus 4 AOKP

Why? They phone was never sold as a LTE phone nor a promise ever made to enable it.
    ConTejas and josegb2011 like this.

No no no no no... you guys have it all WRONG!

All you need is one of these* babies, and you can get full LTE functionality out of any chipset...

* NOTE: This is also one of the reasons I really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really... and I do mean really hate the new Dr. Who series with a passion.
    Thanked by:
    josegb2011 and Chetan Takyar like this.

Quote Originally Posted by dsneedmd View Post
    Dose anyone know if T-Mobile has any official plans to activate LTE on the N4 when they launch their LTE service, or will we all have to root our N4s to get it?
    I think what's going to happen is that Google will introduce an lte version of the nexus 4 or introduce a more advanced nexus phone with the latest lte.

Sent from the Beast that is Galaxy Note 2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast