Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

View Poll Results: What phone storage do you have?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • 8GB

1 7.69%
  • 16GB

12 92.31%
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Greg C
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Storage Wise - 8 or 16GB

I have a 16GB GNex now (unlocked, not the versions that are screwed over a.k.a. Verizon (although I tip my hat to the recent update, just a tip, not a cheer)) but I'm not interested in a N4 just yet.

Who here uses the 8GB version or the 16GB version? How much data, before you add any apps or music or whatever, do you actually get for the 8GB version? Is the 16GB a good choice just because it's there when you need it?

Global Posts
    1,747 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 4.4.2

Default Re: Storage Wise - 8 or 16GB

16gb for sure... more would've been nice.
    If my post helped you out...PLEASE be kind and hit the THANKS button.
    planoman likes this.

I have the 16GB version, and available space is 12.92GB, so about 3GB is dedicated for the OS. It is my understanding that things are similar with the 8GB version, so you would end up with roughly 5GB available.

At some point I had about a giga left of storage space. Now I have about 4GB because I removed my games like Asphalt 7 which takes quite a bit of space. This is how I use up my storage space:
    • Google play music: 6GB (I save lots of playlists on the device)
    • All other apps: 700MB (I don't have any more games)
    • All my pictures are on google photos, and this is synced with my gallery. So photos take about 500MB on my device, because I suppose that some of the pictures are offline.
    • Cached data: 800MB. And this grows up quite fast, because I unlocked my phone only two or three weeks ago, which errased all the data.
    • Podcasts: 500MB

For $50 you can double your storage...that's a great deal. I don't doubt that you can get by with 8gb, some do just fine, but if you want to have some stuff stored on your phone, you need the 16. As an example, a few 3 to 5 minute videos can take up a ton of space, and if your in an area that has little to no data (camping/hunting/fishing/kids playing sports in tim-buk-tu) there is no where to offload that data and make room for more.
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/