Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rizy7
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default can't copy files to Nexus 4?????

Hi everyone. This is my first post. I am new to the forum. I am also relatively new to smart phones, so I would appreciate it if you could keep the answers in simple terms.

Anyway, I bought a new Nexus 4 and was very happy with the specs and the price ... until ... I got it and realized I couldn't copy any files to it!

I hope this hasn't been answered somewhere else a hundred times, but I did a search and couldn't find this question already addressed.

Here is what I want to do:

A) I want to backup my data from my old smartphone (Galaxy S 4G, the WORST phone ever created) to my Nexus. I want to backup my SMS messages to a file, as well as my notes on the ColorNote app, and other app settings, copy them to the Nexus, and transfer all that information to the Nexus 4.

B)I also want to copy a number of files to the Nexus 4 so I can view them on there. There are a number of websites that I read frequently and/or want to have ready access to, which I downloaded off the internet (i.e., I downloaded the entire website with a special program that copies all the files on the site and edits the internal links so that you can view the website off-line just as if it were online, because internal links bring you to the relevant page on your hard drive). I want to copy the folders containing those websites to the phone so I can refer to them even when the phone is not connected to the internet (that happens frequently with me, so this is a big deal).

BUT ... the problem is that I can't seem to copy any files to my Nexus 4. With my Galaxy S 4G, I could plug it into the computer and it would function the same as a USB flash drive just drag and drop whatever you wanted to copy. But this won't connect to my computer. At all. I run Windows XP, and supposedly you're supposed to be able to copy at least media files to it through the USB connection, but when I tried to do that Windows XP said it wanted to install the software for my phone, and wasn't able to find the right drivers, so I didn't get any access to the phone at all.

I am at my wit's end. I can't believe anyone would make a phone that you can't copy files to (well, maybe Alexander Graham Bell did that, but we can cut him some slack because he lived 100 years ago) ... but there it is. If I can't copy my data over to the new phone, I probably will have to get something else, which I really don't want to do.

I already tried copying these files to my phone through the internet using Google Drive or Dropbox tedious as that is but Google Drive could not copy folders to my phone, only individual files, which is useless because the websites I want to copy to my phone have hundreds of separate files in dozens of different folders. Dropbox wouldn't let me copy the data to my phone at all.

Please help me. Thanks again for all your help. You guys are the best!!!!!

Default Re: can't copy files to Nexus 4?????

You can copy folders and files from computer to Nexus 4, if you have Windows 7 or 8 as operating system.
    I have Windows XP professional 64 bit, and cannot transfer files and folders.
    I read that Windows XP causes problem with transfer of files because it does not recognize Nexus 4 as a Flash Drive.
    This is because Nexus for is a computer in itself.
    Try to read about MTP as explanation of technical detail of the problem.
    But if you could find a Interface or Driver, I will be thankful to know where and how.
    At present I take my Nexus to **** Smith shop and connect to the Demo computer with Windows 8.
    The staff are kind.
    Funny, a new phone and such cliches with file transfer.

[email address removed by moderator]
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 03-26-2013 at 07:33 AM.

Windows XP (not the 64bit abomination of XP) can copy files to the N4 just fine, you just need to have MTP enabled(which it is as long as Windows Media Player is installed). You *may* need to get the LG drivers for the phone, which you can grab from a quick google search, shouldn't be that hard to find, and that will let the phone work. When I had to attach my N4 to an XP machine to toss some files onto the computer from the phone it took all of about 3 minutes to get it up and running.

Nexus devices don't appear as mass storage, because they actually don't have a storage partition that Windows can natively read. They are formatted as ext3. MTP is a way of getting windows to be able to read the storage on a Nexus device, or any device that doesn't run on FAT or NTFS. It leads to a much more stable file system on the phone, but can cause problems the first time you want to connect if you're unaware.

However, what you're trying to do doesn't quite fit with what you actually can accomplish with just straight copy/paste, especailly for things like SMS messages and app settings. They don;t just live in a folder on the phone. You'll need an app that will back them up first.

You also can very easily use a cloud solution to copy it. Sure the native Google drive app may only support one file at a time, but there are a ton of file managers that can connect to cloud services. the one I personally use is ES File Explorer. Others will have other recommendations.

Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (soon to be PA3)

This isn't Google's fault and you have to calm down. It's probably, as others have stated, something extra you have to configure because you're using XP. I have no problem transferring files on Windows 7 and Mac OS X computers.

Also, if this doesn't work, you may want to try AirDroid. It's an app that allows you to wirelessly transfer files between any smartphone and any computer with a web browser. You simply download the app on your phone, open the website on your computer, and enter the code shown on your phone onto your computer.

For windows xp, ensure usb debugging is off on your phone, make sure your pc has service pack 3 installed and windows media player 11.
    Thanked by 2:

ROM
    LiquidSmooth

If you are really stuck, I would recommend using AirDroid
    f150fan likes this.

Hi there, I am using Windows 7 home premium and I can see the folders but that is about it. I can't create new folder or save any file on it.

What does disabling usb debugging do?

Would someone kindly provide an URL to that LG driver? Why doesn't Windows 7 recognize the need for that driver?

Looking forward to more feedback on this.

Thanks in advance.

Tim

Global Posts
    286 Global Posts

For WINXP:

Try mighty text app or you can save all of the msgs to the sd card

heloo... even i'm new to smartphones... m using a LG Google nexus 4.. I encounterd this problem... i was sending an app from my friend's cell on my nexus device... but it was straight away showing sending failed... i tried sending other apps ... but same was the problem... however media files were transferred easily with no problem... please help me with this...

Quote Originally Posted by Piyush Girade View Post
    heloo... even i'm new to smartphones... m using a LG Google nexus 4.. I encounterd this problem... i was sending an app from my friend's cell on my nexus device... but it was straight away showing sending failed... i tried sending other apps ... but same was the problem... however media files were transferred easily with no problem... please help me with this...
    how were u sending the app? apk?

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by mattatwar1 View Post
    how were u sending the app? apk?

Posted via Android Central App
    yes sir..i had same prob..sendn apk file. and i also want to know where do the files go or store when sent from other device to mine via bluetooth?

MyPhoneExplorer will do all this for you (and lots more) and is a free app.

i will get a warning like your device might not be able to view or play this file while copying mp3 files from pc with windows 7 os to nexus 4
    but my phone plays files that i received via bluetooth..
    what should i do???

Global Posts
    286 Global Posts

I think you are using PTP, change to MTP mode (from notifications) .

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Take a look at MyPhoneExplorer which has a great tool to back up files, SMS and other things onto your PC.

Quote Originally Posted by parsi sahithi View Post
    i will get a warning like your device might not be able to view or play this file while copying mp3 files from pc with windows 7 os to nexus 4
    but my phone plays files that i received via bluetooth..
    what should i do???
    Ignore the warning, go ahead and copy the files. They'll work.