Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    796 Global Posts

Default Battery suddenly bad :(

So I left my home today at 9:50 AM and the battery was 100% Charged. When i came home at 6:20 PM, there was only 10% left. I barely browsed on the internet or talked the whole time. Only used to listen to music. This is not what I expected from such a big battery. I recall that for some people, it lasts for the whole day or more.

Any battery saving tips?

Also, do you any of you turn your WiFi off once you head out to save some juice?

Default Re: Battery suddenly bad :(

Lots of threads that could give you some tips. These tips are transferable across Android devices for the most part. In addition you can try some of the battery saving apps and learn to install a custom kernel if you really want to get sick battery life.

Android Central Community Search | Android Central

I never turn anything off on my phone. It sounds like you just had a bad day. Most likely some app got stuck running in the background and drained your battery. You can download a battery monitoring app if it keeps happening that might show you what app is causing the trouble. If you haven't already rebooted the phone, I'd do that right away. It's the first thing I do if I notice I'm on some massive draining session, though that rarely happens. When we get more devices out there running JB, I think you'll see some apps getting cleaned up better.

There's a thread here about great battery life from using Juice Defender if you want to try that. My phone runs fine as is.
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/

Mine did the same thing today. It drained from 100% to 20% in an hour!

Something is seriously wrong! I haven't changed any of my behaviors or any new apps either.

Do I need to call Google for a return?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Nexus 4 (Feb 2013 - Present)
    Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket (2011-2013)
    Verizon OG Droid (2009 - 2011)
    ASUS Transformer Pad TF300 (May 2012 - Present)

Did you check to see what caused it? Even though you didn't change anything doesn't mean something didn't "turn on". Your best bet is to get a app like better battery stats and it will tell you which apps/processes are using the most power and then go from there. If it doesn't show anything glaring then it could be a problem with the phone. But I will also say rebooting the phone would help. I've hand experience on other phones and iPhone where it seemed the battery was draining crazy for a day and the device was running warm and I wasn't doing anything different. Rebooted and went back to normal. Odd but sometimes that's all you need to do.

I forgot to add that while it was draining so fast the phone got VERY hot. I did go into the stock battery menu and where it shows what app is using the % of the system. Oddly it showed Google Maps at 35%. I haven't used Google Maps in days. How the heck could that be draining it in the background? Why would it turn on by itself in the background? Kind of frustrating. I also uninstalled Battery Widget Reborn because I suspected that of causing fast drain. It would only drain faster than normal with that widget in use.

Anywho, I got so frustrated that earlier I just did a master reset of the phone and now it's plugged into the stock LG charger and I'm going to let it sit overnight. Then tomorrow I'll reload all of my info and settings. If that doesn't fix it, I'll be calling Google on Monday for a replacement. I'm suspecting it's a hardware malfunction.

Turn google location services and GPS radios off (if not already) when you don't need them. This will stop maps from performing any functions other than offline. Some google apps will start up based on settings and the radios that are enabled. Even by just opening a web page. Or opening facebook, then maps kick in to for location now that you can "check-in". Also to get a deeper look into your battery usage try better battery stats. The stats in the settings won't show hidden processes from system files that could also be contributing. For instance, it'll say "Android OS" and then no additional details. Better battery stats will get you those details. Also check all the accounts you have on the phone and look at their sync settings. I would say, try those things in addition to what you're doing and see what happens. Look into Juice defender as a good free app to help manage your connections when you're not using the phone. And if you're rooted, look into some apps in the market that will let you tinker with the CPU settings. Clocking your CPU down when the screen is off will save a lot of battery.

Heads up to those who are having the rapid drain problem! Back up your data and do a Master reset! That fixed my problem. Which proves it was something software related and not hardware like I had suspected.

After the master reset I powered the phone OFF and plugged it into the standard wall charger and left it go for 3 hours. It was back to normal after I powered it back up and reloaded all my info and downloaded all my apps. Just finished charging it back up full for the second time since the master reset and it's working fine.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums