Idle Time Killing My Batt (Nexus 4) - Help

Nat D

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
When I go to sleep at a full charge and wake up i lose about 15-25% of battery on just idle time. Brand new phone, just got it last Sunday. Tried to download Juice Defender but honestly it's confusing. All I want to do is have the phone disable data when not in use after a period of time, about 30min or an hour. I would hate to do this manually all the time.
I also tried a battery saver app which seemed to work but disabled it completely after my batt was down to 10%.
I need to receive emails all the time so i wouldnt want to disable it completely when idle.

is there an easier way to tackle this? my battery shouldn't by dying so quickly with a brand new phone, when not in use especially when idle and having a task killer for running apps.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
If you downloaded a task killer, that is likely the main part of your battery problem. I would uninstall whatever it is. These are old apps for old OS's. If you installed JuiceDefender, instead of trying to configure things manually, just go with the default settings and see how it does.

Tidey_

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
My nexus 4 battery used to be pretty bad when I first got it, but for me after I'd had it a few weeks my battery life improved loads. Don't install any app killers as in my opinion it just messes with the system and is actually worse than just leaving them.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Nat D

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
Uninstalled... I'll see how it does.. thanks!

My nexus 4 battery used to be pretty bad when I first got it, but for me after I'd had it a few weeks my battery life improved loads. Don't install any app killers as in my opinion it just messes with the system and is actually worse than just leaving them.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Juice defender is pretty simple. You can use the predefined profiles. It will cut your connections off for certain periods of time that vary by the profile. Works pretty well.

The below app also works pretty well. It's not just about radios and data connection but more about control background when the phone is idle. I tried it and it worked well.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...=com.rootuninstaller.batrsaver&token=Gpw4FD-3

These are both pretty good apps if you tweak the settings for your needs. I will say that I am now not running any of these apps and getting better battery life then these ever provided. This is because my device is rooted and I can control CPU settings. I simply underclocked by a little on normal operation and set to underclock to the minimum when my screen is off and the battery life is unbelievable. And these is with wifi and data always on. It made me realize that battery drain has a lot to do with the CPU always running at full power when we don't need it. In any event, the above are great for non root users but if you ever root look into some apps that can tinker the CPU. SetCPU is a good one.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Tasks aren't the issue....wakelocks are. After your phone had been off for a while, go check you battery stat screen... go to the summary screen and look at the time it was awake when your screen was off. I am betting the phone is showing as awake most of the time. A process is keeping your phone from going dormant (locking it awake - wakelock).... find those processes, find your battery drain. Things like background data, android location service, they will do your battery in.

There is an awesome post over at XDA about wakelocks and how to minimize them. Don't have the link handy at the moment.

This issue has been a pet project of mine recently, and I've just about solved it on my phone ... I was going to post some pointers at some point. I never knew what wakelocks were until I started locking into why my phone would suck the battery dry when I had the damn thing idle. Then I was amazed at how inefficient these thing can get if you don't manage them right.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djaa7