1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Nexus 4 blue tooth connection problems.

Hi folks

Just made the switch from iphone 4 (which worked perfectly for all basic functions). I wanted to try something different and bought the hyped nexus 4. i'm very pleased with its functions but some basic stuff is doing my head in. see the problems listed below. any suggestions welcome.

ps i'm running llama and juice defender.

1) pairs with my 3 series bmw but no audio. calls can be initiated from the steering wheel controls but audio is from the handset only. the blue tooth icon turns blue for 3 or 4 4 seconds and then turns grey when the devices first connect. Why is this not working !!! so basic.

2) my ring tone can be selected but changes back to 'none' randomly so keep missing calls.

Can anyone help.

Greg
    Last edited by gmtooke; 03-26-2013 at 06:17 PM.

Global Posts
    612 Global Posts

Default Re: Nexus 4 blue tooth connection problems.

Bluetooth is problematic for a lot of people. One issue that people were having is they couldn't get bluetooth to work when they also had their N4's wifi enabled. They either had to reboot or turn off wifi (maybe both) to connect properly with their bluetooth device. You could try it, but I am not sure that would fix the audio problem, but it is the only solution I know of when bluetooth doesn't function correctly.

I don't know about ringtone problem. Does it happen if you leave the ringtone on default? It sounds to me like some app you have on it is hijacking your ringtone and turning it off.

You could always try uninstalling and reinstalling apps, or doing a factory reset of your phone. It only takes me about 10 -15 minutes to factory reset my phone, but you lose all your data.

Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (soon to be PA3)

The Bluetooth problem is somewhat well known and is most likely some software bug. It doesn't happen to my mom (I don't use Bluetooth, but she does), so it may affect only some people. A reboot should fix this, at least temporarily.

As for the ringtone problem, I don't know of anybody else who has experienced this problem. Try rebooting the phone for that, too. If that doesn't work you might have to factory reset it as jdbii suggested.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Thanks for your responses. Tried your suggestions except for the factory reset which I'll look into further before trying. I do wonder if its the antique nature of my car that may be causing incompatibility issues. The ring tone problem seems to be fixed. Perhaps the new android update will fix it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Definitely could be the old bluetooth stack in your car - one would think legacy stuff should be covered, but alas....

My Bluetooth does the same. it connects fora few seconds then the icon goes grey. On iphone 4 works flawlessly. HOping there is a fix, hard to answer calls and use hands free whilst driving!
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Hi shihali

Yep so frustrating . I've now performed a factory reset which admittedly was done easily and well. impressive. Shame that simple functions don't work !! Will need to sit tight for an update as my return period has expired !

Good luck. If you find a solution please let me know. I've tried downloading various apps from play store which claim to fix this problem but have not worked for Me.

For a technology that was invented almost 15 years ago and so widely deployed, it's amazing how buggy and useless it is.

Quote Originally Posted by CoMoNexus View Post
    For a technology that was invented almost 15 years ago and so widely deployed, it's amazing how buggy and useless it is.
    For some things, bluetooth always works great with zero problems. I have a McBook with a bluetooth keyboard and magic trackpad. They never fail to connect and work every single day that I have had them and it's been several years.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

I've never had a problem with Bluetooth until this latest nexus 4 device. I vaquely recall pairing phones and cars 10 yrs ago on a 'brick' without issue. Has anyone ever said, "they don't make things like they used to!" about the most advanced modern technology we have. Somehow doesn't make sense but no idea why nexux/android has screwed up the basic of basics ?

I have the same issues with my Phone. I had iphone4S, Never had any issues. but N4 connects to the bluetooth, also I get calls, it rings in the phone but can't speak... So frustrating.

I may check if I can return the phone...

- - - Updated - - -

I have the same issues with my Phone. I had iphone4S, Never had any issues. but N4 connects to the bluetooth, also I get calls, it rings in the phone but can't speak... So frustrating.

I may check if I can return the phone...

Week old Nexus 4, and have had some problems pairing with my heart rate monitor which uses bluetooth. A reboot of the phone fixes it every time.

Global Posts
    31 Global Posts

I would recommend trying to keep wifi completely off and see if that helps. I've also found if you can use the 5ghz wifi band that is good too.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2