Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 89
Like Tree67Likes
  1. #26  
    chubb's Avatar

    Posts
    874 Posts
    ROM
    Stock Xoom, Nexus 4 AOKP

    Default Re: At&t shut my Nexus down

    Quote Originally Posted by idaute View Post
    Greydarrah, would you possibly extend an explanation of just what ATT sucks? And, just how do they suck it?

    Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD
    Don't think that would be appropriate

    Quote Originally Posted by Greg C View Post
    AT&T does not support the Nexus 4. Their system does not recognize the IMEI. AT&T considers it an unsupported device. I know this because I took mine to the AT&T Store to get it activated.
    Don't believe what the reps said. They told me something similar too. All you do is activate it online and your good to go. My girlfriends nexus has been perfect for the last two and a half months.
  2. #27  

    Default Re: At&t shut my Nexus down

    There is no reason for AT&T to do this that is consistent with logic. The support any supportable device. They allow MVNOs to lease time and sell SIM cards to them to sell to their customers. The reps you are talking to are full of it.
  3. #28  

    Default Re: At&t shut my Nexus down

    Quote Originally Posted by Tall Mike 2145 View Post
    There is no reason for AT&T to do this that is consistent with logic. The support any supportable device. They allow MVNOs to lease time and sell SIM cards to them to sell to their customers. The reps you are talking to are full of it.
    The only reason the phone companies accept MVNO is because lawmakers forced them too. I can't call up any phone company and tell them I only want internet. Despite your logic, they would rather not have my money. The only power a consumer has lays in their choice to do business. When that choice is removed it becomes something closer to government. The 3-4 choices we have for service in this country do in fact do everything within their ability to prevent you from using a device bought without them.
    m0mcat likes this.
  4. #29  

    Default Re: At&t shut my Nexus down

    Quote Originally Posted by greydarrah View Post
    at&t is by far the worst customer support company I have ever dealt with. They are why I moved to tmo.
    Most people who move to T mobile are pissed at AT&T, at least in my extended family. To each their own, it is, after all their money. I have been with AT&T in some form since 1996 and see no reason to switch. I pay the bill each month, they provide me with service. Pissed my wife off when I did not move with her to t mobile. I told her "dear, do not come between a man and his unlimited data!"
    Lumia 925 w/Black, Nexus 5 (32GB), Moto X (32GB), Lumia 1020, Google Edition S4, Galaxy S4 (32GB), S4 Active, Nexus 4, Note 2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note (ATT), Galaxy Note Intl., Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, Nexus S, Atrix 2, Atrix, Galaxy S1 Captivate, Nexus 7 (32GB), iPad 4, Dell Venue Pro 8
    and yes...an iPhone 5 too...
  5. #30  

    Default Re: At&t shut my Nexus down

    Quote Originally Posted by llamainmypocket View Post
    The only reason the phone companies accept MVNO is because lawmakers forced them too. I can't call up any phone company and tell them I only want internet. Despite your logic, they would rather not have my money. The only power a consumer has lays in their choice to do business. When that choice is removed it becomes something closer to government. The 3-4 choices we have for service in this country do in fact do everything within their ability to prevent you from using a device bought without them.
    That is just partially correct. There are ways to get only data sims and use them in your phone. I was able to successfully do just that and with AT&T to be precise.
  6. #31  

    Default Re: At&t shut my Nexus down

    Quote Originally Posted by darkoman4 View Post
    That is just partially correct. There are ways to get only data sims and use them in your phone. I was able to successfully do just that and with AT&T to be precise.
    How?
    I voided my warranty.
  7. #32  

    Default Re: At&t shut my Nexus down

    Did the OP ever fully explain the situation?
    Thanked by:
  8. #33  

    Default Re: At&t shut my Nexus down

    Quote Originally Posted by Greg C View Post
    AT&T does not support the Nexus 4. Their system does not recognize the IMEI. AT&T considers it an unsupported device. I know this because I took mine to the AT&T Store to get it activated.
    This was the case for the first month or two after the Nexus 4 was released but AT&T has since fixed that issue.
  9. #34  
    Darth Spock's Avatar

    Posts
    5,733 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,772 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

    Default Re: At&t shut my Nexus down

    Quote Originally Posted by pontiac005 View Post
    Did the OP ever fully explain the situation?
    0% logical explanation. I believe they got annoyed at how ridiculous everyone got when they went into attack mode. There are only 3 explanations possible: AT&T made a mistake, OP did something dishonest and was caught, AT&T did something dishonest and was caught.
    ConTejas and adriandb like this.
  10. #35  

    Default Re: At&t shut my Nexus down

    Quote Originally Posted by tmx31415 View Post
    To respond, unlimited data grandfathered in. Not sure why this happened but it did. The issue is fixed for now.
    I am still not understanding what happened. So you have unlimited data on AT&T and all of a sudden AT&T stopped allowing you to make voice calls?
    I voided my warranty.
  11. #36  
    Greg C's Avatar

    Posts
    1,158 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,168 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 4.4.2

    Default Re: At&t shut my Nexus down

    Quote Originally Posted by Nonymous666 View Post
    This was the case for the first month or two after the Nexus 4 was released but AT&T has since fixed that issue.

    Yeah... I did get it activated at the AT&T Store... just had to here the spiel about not being supported, may not work as well.... blah.. blah.. blah.
    If my post helped you out...please be kind and hit the "THANKS BUTTON."
  12. #37  

    Default Re: At&t shut my Nexus down

    Quote Originally Posted by llamainmypocket View Post
    The only reason the phone companies accept MVNO is because lawmakers forced them too. ... The 3-4 choices we have for service in this country do in fact do everything within their ability to prevent you from using a device bought without them.
    No business (well, generally speaking, anyhow) wants competition. In general, they all want to be monopolies. The only reason we have more than one phone company (and for all practical purposes multiple players in the big industries) in this country is due to government action, specifically the Sherman and Clayton anti-trust acts (and others here and there) and the executive branch activism of Teddy Roosevelt and others.

    I can't call up any phone company and tell them I only want internet. Despite your logic, they would rather not have my money. The only power a consumer has lays in their choice to do business. When that choice is removed it becomes something closer to government.
    There is no solidarity among consumers; if there were, we would not have these sort of problems. Those of us who choose not to go along with the status quo simply drop off the radar, not just of businesses, but evidently of our fellow man as well.
    Kamin likes this.
  13. #38  

    Default Re: At&t shut my Nexus down

    Quote Originally Posted by Tall Mike 2145 View Post
    No business (well, generally speaking, anyhow) wants competition. In general, they all want to be monopolies. The only reason we have more than one phone company (and for all practical purposes multiple players in the big industries) in this country is due to government action, specifically the Sherman and Clayton anti-trust acts (and others here and there) and the executive branch activism of Teddy Roosevelt and others.
    Ah. So that's why Samsung and LG and HTC and Sony haven't all merged.
  14. #39  

    Default Re: At&t shut my Nexus down

    Quote Originally Posted by Tall Mike 2145 View Post
    No business (well, generally speaking, anyhow) wants competition. In general, they all want to be monopolies. The only reason we have more than one phone company (and for all practical purposes multiple players in the big industries) in this country is due to government action, specifically the Sherman and Clayton anti-trust acts (and others here and there) and the executive branch activism of Teddy Roosevelt and others.


    There is no solidarity among consumers; if there were, we would not have these sort of problems. Those of us who choose not to go along with the status quo simply drop off the radar, not just of businesses, but evidently of our fellow man as well.
    An odd position to take considering that the phone system in this country started with a congressional act that monopolized the system under Bell. It was only significant later that it was broken into pieces by congress. As we can see now it is nearly a monopoly again. Stating it is the governments responsibility to ensure a free market within a system created by the government to be a monopoly seems to defy common sense. However, I have found that socialists commonly do defy common sense in economics.
  15. #40  

    Default Re: At&t shut my Nexus down

    Quote Originally Posted by androidluvr2 View Post
    How?
    I bought Att HTC Jetstream on ebay. Activated $30 3 GB plan, sold Jetstream for the same money, used SIM in my Nexus 4 with no problem. Was making and receiving calls and texts using google voice and Talkaton application.

    Sent from my MB865 using Android Central Forums
  16. #41  

    Default Re: At&t shut my Nexus down

    Quote Originally Posted by darkoman4 View Post
    I bought Att HTC Jetstream on ebay. Activated $30 3 GB plan, sold Jetstream for the same money, used SIM in my Nexus 4 with no problem. Was making and receiving calls and texts using google voice and Talkaton application.

    Sent from my MB865 using Android Central Forums
    Another alternative is to just use a hotspot. Verizon and AT&T are $50 for 5GB while T-Mobile is 2GB for $30 I think.

    You can always take your chance with Sim card swapping but you need to keep an eye on your account for they do add payed features to your phone such as a voice plan. You can reduce or eliminate those risks by using an mnvo service which is prepaid.

    I'm still waiting to find prepaid mnvo plans for mifi devices.
  17. #42  

    Default Re: At&t shut my Nexus down

    Using my Nexus 4 for awhile now on AT&T contract, no problems at all. And they know I have a Nexus 4 with my IMEI number.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
  18. #43  
    apalm8's Avatar

    Posts
    76 Posts
    Global Posts
    260 Global Posts

    Default Re: At&t shut my Nexus down

    Was it Nudie Magazine day and you were looking at them on your phone? lol

    If you don't like what the ATT rep told you just keep calling back until you get someone who will help you or else keep asking for supervisors.
  19. #44  
    chubb's Avatar

    Posts
    874 Posts
    ROM
    Stock Xoom, Nexus 4 AOKP

    Default Re: At&t shut my Nexus down

    Quote Originally Posted by NothingIsTrue View Post
    0% logical explanation. I believe they got annoyed at how ridiculous everyone got when they went into attack mode. There are only 3 explanations possible: AT&T made a mistake, OP did something dishonest and was caught, AT&T did something dishonest and was caught.
    Well you know #1 and 3 would never happen so..........

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:
    idaute 
  20. #45  

    Default Re: At&t shut my Nexus down

    AT&T not recognizing the Nexus 4's IMEI is simply not true.
    Darth Spock and aensinger like this.
  21. #46  

    Default Re: At&t shut my Nexus down

    Quote Originally Posted by darkoman4 View Post
    I bought Att HTC Jetstream on ebay. Activated $30 3 GB plan, sold Jetstream for the same money, used SIM in my Nexus 4 with no problem. Was making and receiving calls and texts using google voice and Talkaton application.

    Sent from my MB865 using Android Central Forums
    Nice, that's a slick trick
  22. #47  

    Default Re: At&t shut my Nexus down

    That's ridiculous. Find another carrier, write a formal complaint to the FCC and FTC, start a petition to guarantee service for unlocked devices on the White House web site, write to your Senators and Representatives, and get an attorney.


    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    androidluvr2 likes this.
  23. #48  

    Default Re: At&t shut my Nexus down

    Quote Originally Posted by Unicorn Rancher View Post
    Ah. So that's why Samsung and LG and HTC and Sony haven't all merged.
    Honestly, that is probably a part of why. Public companies (which every company you mentioned is) main responsibility is to make their share holders money. Merging would do that, but would never be approved.
  24. #49  

    Default Re: At&t shut my Nexus down

    Quote Originally Posted by llamainmypocket View Post
    An odd position to take considering that the phone system in this country started with a congressional act that monopolized the system under Bell. It was only significant later that it was broken into pieces by congress. As we can see now it is nearly a monopoly again. Stating it is the governments responsibility to ensure a free market within a system created by the government to be a monopoly seems to defy common sense.
    Well, a lot of things that have been done by our government do well and truly defy common sense, so...

    However, I have found that socialists commonly do defy common sense in economics.
    I couldn't agree more.
  25. #50  
    goelz83's Avatar

    Posts
    133 Posts
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts

    Default Re: At&t shut my Nexus down

    Quote Originally Posted by darkoman4 View Post
    That is just partially correct. There are ways to get only data sims and use them in your phone. I was able to successfully do just that and with AT&T to be precise.
    Quote Originally Posted by androidluvr2 View Post
    How?
    Mobile Share Data: Also, effective March 22, Mobile Share Data plans (i.e., no talk and text) are available for businesses and consumers with shared data buckets ranging from 4 GB to 50 GB and prices ranging from $30 to $335 per month. Mobile Share Data plans are only available for tablets, laptops and other connected devices.

    Technically smartphones are not supported, but I would imagine that getting it to work should be as simple as an APN change.
    Last edited by goelz83; 03-27-2013 at 01:13 PM.
    Thanked by:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Why is my Nexus 4 faster on AT&T than my Galaxy Nexus?
    By worknman in forum Google Nexus 4
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-10-2013, 10:56 PM
  2. Pickup my Nexus 7 at Staples but no free stuff
    By jabwtv in forum Google Nexus 7 Tablet (2012)
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 07-24-2012, 11:05 PM
  3. Using my Nexus at the Olympics (London)
    By clarker07 in forum Verizon Galaxy Nexus
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-31-2012, 03:53 PM
  4. WIFI tether on unlocked Galaxy Nexus with AT&T?
    By hexproject in forum Google / Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-10-2012, 06:20 PM
  5. My nexus will not shut up
    By jorGeorge in forum Verizon Galaxy Nexus
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 12-28-2011, 03:06 PM

Posting Permissions

B