At&t shut my Nexus down

tmx31415

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Bill paid in full. Cannot make or receive calls. Called at&t and they told me that they recognized a foreign device that they don't support and shut down service. This is simply terrible. I cannot use a clearly better device because of Big Brother.
Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Bill paid in full. Cannot make or receive calls. Called at&t and they told me that they recognized a foreign device that they don't support and shut down service. This is simply terrible. I cannot use a clearly better device because of Big Brother.

That makes no sense. A ton of us on this forum use AT&T post-paid. Why would they care? What made them look at your account? Were you still under contract for another phone?

idaute

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
I'm guessing a smart phone without a smart phone data plan.

Am I close?

I think you hit the nail on the head. Its quite obvious what some people will do to avoid paying their fair share (free data plans for the masses - let the rich pay for or internet - sounds like something out of our illustrious leader).

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

BadHead1970

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I have to say, speaking fro the UK, this sounds so spooky and creepy. That a phone company could remotely shut down a phone sounds very Orwellian.

Home of the free - not if you own a smartphone and are with AT&T, apparently. :)

Hope you get this nonsense sorted out and kick AT&T up the arse!

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I think you hit the nail on the head. Its quite obvious what some people will do to avoid paying their fair share (free data plans for the masses - let the rich pay for or internet - sounds like something out of our illustrious leader).

How did you come up with that assumption? He WOULD HAVE HAD a smartphone data plan!!!

idaute

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
How did you come up with that assumption? He WOULD HAVE HAD a smartphone data plan!!!

Hey Greg, if he had had a data plan, his Nexus phone would not have been an unsupported apparatus. The OP does not even insinuate that he had a data plan.

Verdes8891

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Even after having worked for AT&T for over 4 years that makes no sense. I saw customers left and right with unlocked phones they bought online from over seas. Including nexus devices. Only thing that I ever really saw become a consistant issue was not every phone bought unlocked will work. But those that do work just fine and you still have to get a data plan with those. Even if they are unlocked. Never saw one just shutdown because of that.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Hey Greg, if he had had a data plan, his Nexus phone would not have been an unsupported apparatus. The OP does not even insinuate that he had a data plan.

Yes it would. AT&T does not support the Nexus 4. Their system does not recognize the IMEI. AT&T considers it an unsupported device. I know this because I took mine to the AT&T Store to get it activated. Idk why his phone was shut off, but it wasn't because of no data plan. AT&T would have automatically enrolled him in one.

Last edited by a moderator:

idaute

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site

Explain then Greg, if you could not get your Nexus activated by ATT, how did the OP do that? Answer that and you will know exactly why they terminated his service.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I guess we need to OP to check back in and tell us about his plan (or the absence of it) before some of you guys end up killing one another.

Either way, I still say at&t SUCKS! :cool:

idaute

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
I guess we need to OP to check back in and tell us about his plan (or the absence of it) before some of you guys end up killing one another.

Either way, I still say at&t SUCKS! :cool:

Greydarrah, would you possibly extend an explanation of just what ATT sucks? And, just how do they suck it?

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Greydarrah, would you possibly extend an explanation of just what ATT sucks? And, just how do they suck it?

If you're serious, while they provide a decent service (fair coverage over the US), they are a way-to-big monopoly, to such an extent that in my opinion, couldn't care less about the satisfaction of their customers, nor supporting their customers request or problems..they SUCK!!! And they do so completely...home based internet, phone lines and cell service.

But if you want to argue that point with me, I'm not participating further than this response. I believe that everyone is entitled to their opinion, even if it's wrong. I doubt the OP wanted a thread filled with a bunch of off subject arguments...he/she just wants some help.

idaute

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
If you're serious, while they provide a decent service (fair coverage over the US), they are a way-to-big monopoly, to such an extent that in my opinion, couldn't care less about the satisfaction of their customers, nor supporting their customers request or problems..they SUCK!!!

But if you want to argue that point with me, I'm not participating further than this response. I believe that everyone is entitled to their opinion, even it's wrong. I doubt the OP wanted a thread filled with a bunch of off subject arguments...he/she just wants some help.

Now, greydarrah, could you possibly give us an explanation of just what does ATT have a monopoly on? Your the one accusing them. Don't just make accusations, please articulate just why you think that ATT is a way-to-big monopoly. I have never heard just what a way-to-big a monopoly is.

tmx31415

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
To respond, unlimited data grandfathered in. Not sure why this happened but it did. The issue is fixed for now. All of the other posters should ask why first instead of assuming other scenarios. This forum is to assist not judge. Maybe you should spend more time on yourselves and not crucify others.