Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree67Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default At&t shut my Nexus down

Bill paid in full. Cannot make or receive calls. Called at&t and they told me that they recognized a foreign device that they don't support and shut down service. This is simply terrible. I cannot use a clearly better device because of Big Brother.
    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    axllebeer likes this.

Default Re: At&t shut my Nexus down

at&t is by far the worst customer support company I have ever dealt with. They are why I moved to tmo.
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/

Global Posts
    1,124 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 4.4.2

Quote Originally Posted by tmx31415 View Post
    Bill paid in full. Cannot make or receive calls. Called at&t and they told me that they recognized a foreign device that they don't support and shut down service. This is simply terrible. I cannot use a clearly better device because of Big Brother.
    That makes no sense. A ton of us on this forum use AT&T post-paid. Why would they care? What made them look at your account? Were you still under contract for another phone?
    If my post helped you out...please be kind and hit the "THANKS BUTTON."

I'm guessing a smart phone without a smart phone data plan.

Am I close?

Global Posts
    1,124 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 4.4.2

Quote Originally Posted by Unicorn Rancher View Post

Am I close?

No... he would've had a smartphone data plan on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Unicorn Rancher View Post

Am I close?
    I think you hit the nail on the head. Its quite obvious what some people will do to avoid paying their fair share (free data plans for the masses - let the rich pay for or internet - sounds like something out of our illustrious leader).

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD
    xdalaw and Golfdriver97 like this.

I have to say, speaking fro the UK, this sounds so spooky and creepy. That a phone company could remotely shut down a phone sounds very Orwellian.

Home of the free - not if you own a smartphone and are with AT&T, apparently.

Hope you get this nonsense sorted out and kick AT&T up the arse!

Global Posts
    1,124 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 4.4.2

Quote Originally Posted by idaute View Post
    I think you hit the nail on the head. Its quite obvious what some people will do to avoid paying their fair share (free data plans for the masses - let the rich pay for or internet - sounds like something out of our illustrious leader).

How did you come up with that assumption? He WOULD HAVE HAD a smartphone data plan!!!
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Greg C View Post
    How did you come up with that assumption? He WOULD HAVE HAD a smartphone data plan!!!
    Hey Greg, if he had had a data plan, his Nexus phone would not have been an unsupported apparatus. The OP does not even insinuate that he had a data plan.

Even after having worked for AT&T for over 4 years that makes no sense. I saw customers left and right with unlocked phones they bought online from over seas. Including nexus devices. Only thing that I ever really saw become a consistant issue was not every phone bought unlocked will work. But those that do work just fine and you still have to get a data plan with those. Even if they are unlocked. Never saw one just shutdown because of that.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Personal: Sprint Galaxy Nexus LTE, Nexus 7 16gb tablet

If i have helped you, please hit the Thanks or Like button below!
    Thanked by:
    hutgap 
    hutgap likes this.

Global Posts
    1,124 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 4.4.2

Hey Greg, if he had had a data plan, his Nexus phone would not have been an unsupported apparatus. The OP does not even insinuate that he had a data plan.

Yes it would. AT&T does not support the Nexus 4. Their system does not recognize the IMEI. AT&T considers it an unsupported device. I know this because I took mine to the AT&T Store to get it activated. Idk why his phone was shut off, but it wasn't because of no data plan. AT&T would have automatically enrolled him in one.
    Last edited by Patrick Schroedl; 03-26-2013 at 03:58 PM.

Global Posts
    1,124 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 4.4.2

It doesn't make sense why your phone would be shut off. AT&T was still making money.

Explain then Greg, if you could not get your Nexus activated by ATT, how did the OP do that? Answer that and you will know exactly why they terminated his service.

sounds perfectly fine to want phone service, no data and just use wifi. I don't see the issue.

I guess we need to OP to check back in and tell us about his plan (or the absence of it) before some of you guys end up killing one another.

Either way, I still say at&t SUCKS!
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!

Quote Originally Posted by greydarrah View Post
    I guess we need to OP to check back in and tell us about his plan (or the absence of it) before some of you guys end up killing one another.

Either way, I still say at&t SUCKS!
    Greydarrah, would you possibly extend an explanation of just what ATT sucks? And, just how do they suck it?

Greydarrah, would you possibly extend an explanation of just what ATT sucks? And, just how do they suck it?

If you're serious, while they provide a decent service (fair coverage over the US), they are a way-to-big monopoly, to such an extent that in my opinion, couldn't care less about the satisfaction of their customers, nor supporting their customers request or problems..they SUCK!!! And they do so completely...home based internet, phone lines and cell service.

But if you want to argue that point with me, I'm not participating further than this response. I believe that everyone is entitled to their opinion, even if it's wrong. I doubt the OP wanted a thread filled with a bunch of off subject arguments...he/she just wants some help.
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    Thanked by:
    efyoiphone likes this.

If you're serious, while they provide a decent service (fair coverage over the US), they are a way-to-big monopoly, to such an extent that in my opinion, couldn't care less about the satisfaction of their customers, nor supporting their customers request or problems..they SUCK!!!

But if you want to argue that point with me, I'm not participating further than this response. I believe that everyone is entitled to their opinion, even it's wrong. I doubt the OP wanted a thread filled with a bunch of off subject arguments...he/she just wants some help.
    Now, greydarrah, could you possibly give us an explanation of just what does ATT have a monopoly on? Your the one accusing them. Don't just make accusations, please articulate just why you think that ATT is a way-to-big monopoly. I have never heard just what a way-to-big a monopoly is.

19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

To respond, unlimited data grandfathered in. Not sure why this happened but it did. The issue is fixed for now. All of the other posters should ask why first instead of assuming other scenarios. This forum is to assist not judge. Maybe you should spend more time on yourselves and not crucify others.

they are a way-to-big monopoly
    wireless service in the US is an oligopoly. It sucks, but cable companies are worse because they typically have monopolies because DSL speeds can't compare to the cable speeds. The only company I hate more than Verizon is Comcast.
    I voided my warranty.
    gnr_2 and m0mcat like this.

ROM
    4.1.2 stock JB

Terrible! Tweet it make it viral! Post it on att official forum. Then tell em you're dropping att and going prepaid with other company

I hate AT&T as much as the next person but think they suck for different reasons (http://forums.androidcentral.com/sho...red a Nexus 4!).

Them shutting your phone off sounds really sketchy though. What're they doing to do to rectify the situation?

tmx, how was the problem fixed?
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3

Keep the politics out of this forum please.
    We have a place for that. Let's keep it there
    ಠ_ಠ
    제리
    Thanked by 12:
    + Show/Hide list of the thanked

Buy a Mifi device and go rogue. 50$ a month will get you 5GB and a 3$ Skype subscription will get you a new phone number an unlimited US calls. Mugen battery is strongly advised.

I simply don't allow the phone companies to have any access to my devices. They can't be trusted, as I think you've proven. Hypothetically, they could have bricked your phone.

P.S. punish them for their arrogance. Deny them access to your device and deny them from forcing you to pay for things you don't need.
    jmarkey77 likes this.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast