Has N4 quality improved or diminished with time?

gemst10

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Got my N4 around Christmas. However it's been having a charging issue for some time so I got an RMA to replace it. I was wondering if anyone has noticed that the quality of the phones has improved or diminished since the first or second round of devices that were sent out? Kind of wondering if it's worth replacing or if I should learn to live with the charging issue.

Last edited:

minnemike

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Improved for me - no more battery issues. Not sure what did it though - toss up between 4.2.2 update and/or battery settling in after some steady usage.

celliott96

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I've had a weird battery problem where the battery stops charging between 65-82% and then cycles between charging and not charging. So I plug my phone at night, but when I wake up my phone is only 65-82% charged. On the lockscreen it will say "Charging - 65%" for a second then that will go away, only to appear a few seconds later. Should I try to get an RMA?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

gemst10

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
I've had a weird battery problem where the battery stops charging between 65-82% and then cycles between charging and not charging. So I plug my phone at night, but when I wake up my phone is only 65-82% charged. On the lockscreen it will say "Charging - 65%" for a second then that will go away, only to appear a few seconds later. Should I try to get an RMA?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

That's basically what mine does. I plug it in at night and sometimes it cycles between charging and not charging for hours. Other times it just stops charging halfway through the night. Other times I take it off the charger and it stills shows that it's plugged in. I figure it's better to get an RMA now than wait for it to get worse.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
My N4 was purchased on the first day of January sales (the 29th) and was manufactured in December (being approximately the 350,000th device made). It's working perfectly with no software or hardware problems.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I have one Nexus 4 from near-launch ordering via Google, one from late January via T-Mobile, and two from February orders (one Google, one T-Mo). I haven't noticed any differences in performance, reliability, battery life, etc. but I also haven't been paying meticulous attention to it.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Mine is from late Nov and it has always run perfectly. If I had problems getting it to charge, and I had tried a different charger (don't we all have a few laying around?) with no better results, I'd RMA it.

Clone9

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Mine has gotten better. The battery life has improved....not sure if it is due to something I did or 4.2.2, but is has improved without me taking away significant functionality. I got it at launch so it was the first batch....

celliott96

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Are you guys using stock chargers? Had to ask.

Yeah, I have been using the stock charger. Interestingly enough, last night I tried using my Nexus 7's charger, and I didn't have any problems. Maybe the N4's charger doesn't supply my Nexus 4 with enough amps of power? That's the only difference between the two chargers.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

josegb2011

May 2, 2012
Visit site
I actually just gave google a call for a rma but they seem to have confused my 16gb nexus with an 8gb . now i have to call them again.

whitespace

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
Here:s what last night's charging history looked like.

What app is that? :)

This charging issue almost sounds like a physical connecting problem with the USB socket?! Have you tried sucking it out, in case anything is preventing a good connection?!

EDIT: How are you charging the phone? Over USB to a PC or AC Mains? Your charging seems quite slow... from 75% to 100% in 3 hours? I'm charging my phone at the moment on AC power (and using it at the same time)... from 15% I'm fully charged in about 2.5 hours.

Last edited:

gemst10

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
What app is that? :)

This charging issue almost sounds like a physical connecting problem with the USB socket?! Have you tried sucking it out, in case anything is preventing a good connection?!

EDIT: How are you charging the phone? Over USB to a PC or AC Mains? Your charging seems quite slow... from 75% to 100% in 3 hours? I'm charging my phone at the moment on AC power (and using it at the same time)... from 15% I'm fully charged in about 2.5 hours.

The app is Battery Widget Reborn

I've tried blowing out the port but I really can't see anything in there that would be preventing a good connection. Also, it's plugged directly into AC power with the stock charger. Last night it again took 3 hours to go from 75% to fully charged.

Michael Morris2

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
I also bought my N4 around christmas, battery life seems to have improved, I fear for the headphone jack and feel like it eventually might loose connection, but thats what bluetooth headphones are for. Aside from that I feel the quality has improved