Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Unicorn Rancher
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Has N4 quality improved or diminished with time?

Got my N4 around Christmas. However it's been having a charging issue for some time so I got an RMA to replace it. I was wondering if anyone has noticed that the quality of the phones has improved or diminished since the first or second round of devices that were sent out? Kind of wondering if it's worth replacing or if I should learn to live with the charging issue.
    Last edited by gemst10; 03-27-2013 at 09:55 AM.

Default Re: Has N4 quality improved or diminished with time?

Improved for me - no more battery issues. Not sure what did it though - toss up between 4.2.2 update and/or battery settling in after some steady usage.

ROM
    LiquidSmooth

The rev 11 late december/early january builds were the best in my opinion

I've had a weird battery problem where the battery stops charging between 65-82% and then cycles between charging and not charging. So I plug my phone at night, but when I wake up my phone is only 65-82% charged. On the lockscreen it will say "Charging - 65%" for a second then that will go away, only to appear a few seconds later. Should I try to get an RMA?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    - Motorola Atrix 2 - Nexus 7 - Nexus 4
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by celliott96 View Post
    I've had a weird battery problem where the battery stops charging between 65-82% and then cycles between charging and not charging. So I plug my phone at night, but when I wake up my phone is only 65-82% charged. On the lockscreen it will say "Charging - 65%" for a second then that will go away, only to appear a few seconds later. Should I try to get an RMA?

That's basically what mine does. I plug it in at night and sometimes it cycles between charging and not charging for hours. Other times it just stops charging halfway through the night. Other times I take it off the charger and it stills shows that it's plugged in. I figure it's better to get an RMA now than wait for it to get worse.

Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (soon to be PA3)

My N4 was purchased on the first day of January sales (the 29th) and was manufactured in December (being approximately the 350,000th device made). It's working perfectly with no software or hardware problems.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Here:s what last night's charging history looked like.

Has N4 quality improved or diminished with time?-uploadfromtaptalk1364322603105.jpg

Are you guys using stock chargers? Had to ask.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by minnemike View Post
    I am indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Rizy7 View Post
    The rev 11 late december/early january builds were the best in my opinion
    Spring Festival strikes again?

I have one Nexus 4 from near-launch ordering via Google, one from late January via T-Mobile, and two from February orders (one Google, one T-Mo). I haven't noticed any differences in performance, reliability, battery life, etc. but I also haven't been paying meticulous attention to it.

Just because it's called Nexus 4 doesn't mean you had to buy four of them.

Mine is from late Nov and it has always run perfectly. If I had problems getting it to charge, and I had tried a different charger (don't we all have a few laying around?) with no better results, I'd RMA it.
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Unicorn Rancher View Post
    Just because it's called Nexus 4 doesn't mean you had to buy four of them.
    I use one as a personal device; the other three are for Android development purposes.

Mine has gotten better. The battery life has improved....not sure if it is due to something I did or 4.2.2, but is has improved without me taking away significant functionality. I got it at launch so it was the first batch....

Quote Originally Posted by minnemike View Post
    Yeah, I have been using the stock charger. Interestingly enough, last night I tried using my Nexus 7's charger, and I didn't have any problems. Maybe the N4's charger doesn't supply my Nexus 4 with enough amps of power? That's the only difference between the two chargers.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    - Motorola Atrix 2 - Nexus 7 - Nexus 4

I actually just gave google a call for a rma but they seem to have confused my 16gb nexus with an 8gb . now i have to call them again.

Quote Originally Posted by gemst10 View Post
    Here:s what last night's charging history looked like.
    What app is that?

This charging issue almost sounds like a physical connecting problem with the USB socket?! Have you tried sucking it out, in case anything is preventing a good connection?!

EDIT: How are you charging the phone? Over USB to a PC or AC Mains? Your charging seems quite slow... from 75% to 100% in 3 hours? I'm charging my phone at the moment on AC power (and using it at the same time)... from 15% I'm fully charged in about 2.5 hours.
    Last edited by whitespace; 03-27-2013 at 05:49 AM.
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

Quote Originally Posted by whitespace View Post
    What app is that?

This charging issue almost sounds like a physical connecting problem with the USB socket?! Have you tried sucking it out, in case anything is preventing a good connection?!

EDIT: How are you charging the phone? Over USB to a PC or AC Mains? Your charging seems quite slow... from 75% to 100% in 3 hours? I'm charging my phone at the moment on AC power (and using it at the same time)... from 15% I'm fully charged in about 2.5 hours.
    The app is Battery Widget Reborn

I've tried blowing out the port but I really can't see anything in there that would be preventing a good connection. Also, it's plugged directly into AC power with the stock charger. Last night it again took 3 hours to go from 75% to fully charged.
    Thanked by:

I also bought my N4 around christmas, battery life seems to have improved, I fear for the headphone jack and feel like it eventually might loose connection, but thats what bluetooth headphones are for. Aside from that I feel the quality has improved
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

I was mainly wondering if there is any opinion if the phones that are being sold now are of better build quality than the ones that were being sold months ago. Not if you feel your phone has improved with time. I'm assuming they've dialed in the manufacturing by this point but wanted to make sure the opposite wasn't true.
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

Check this out. I unplugged it 2 hours ago but my phone still thinks it's on the charger.

Has N4 quality improved or diminished with time?-uploadfromtaptalk1364487157386.jpg

Stock charger and possibly the cable that came with it sucks, I had all kind of issues with it. Plugging in overnight would sometimes result in a dead phone in the morning, random switching between charging and not charging, it would constantly switch to USB mode instead of AC after a few minute resulted in a slower charging rate, and sometimes phone would get really hot and the battery would drain for no reason and you have to unplug it and retry. I fixed all that by using a GS3 OEM charger and cable and threw that LG crap away.
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

I was wondering the same thing. Unfortunately I don't have another USB charger laying around with sufficient amperage. The google support person said they won't replace the charger alone though. You have to get a whole new phone to get a new charger.

At any rate my RMA is already processed. It shipped today. I guess it'll be nice to get a new phone, but it's going to be a pain to set it all up again.

Quote Originally Posted by bobafuzz View Post
    Stock charger and possibly the cable that came with it sucks, I had all kind of issues with it. Plugging in overnight would sometimes result in a dead phone in the morning, random switching between charging and not charging, it would constantly switch to USB mode instead of AC after a few minute resulted in a slower charging rate, and sometimes phone would get really hot and the battery would drain for no reason and you have to unplug it and retry. I fixed all that by using a GS3 OEM charger and cable and threw that LG crap away.
    Is there any harm in using my Nexus 7 charger for both devices when I get my Nexus 4 next month?