- 41 Posts
my avast security tells me it can't run a firewall as my nexus 4 isn't rooted. don't mobiles need firewalls? my desktop security runs a firewall. is it worth rooting the phone? How? i'm not very techie.
also i don't like the thought of all the permissions for various apps that i have apparently agreed to eg directly call phone numbers at my cost,edit my text messages,send SMS,access and modify my contacts,prevent phone from sleeping etc, etc
- 03-29-2013, 03:07 AM #2
I don't think there is any reason to have security software installed. At this point I think they are gimmicks, don't really provide any protection, and they are notorious for false positives. Now this I don't know, but I think they also drain your battery and slow down the overall performance of your phone. If you are worried, just stick to the stock android and the only downloads apps from Google Play. I can understand not wanting to give every single app permission to use data on your phone, but the only way you are going to get around that is by not downloading any apps. I think the largest security threat you have is actually losing your phone, or somebody looking over your shoulder as you type in your bank's password. And of course unsecure public wifi is not all that safe. To answer your question, do I think it is worth it to root your phone so you can install avast firewall -- no I don't.
- 03-29-2013, 11:06 AM #3
- 03-29-2013, 11:25 AM #4
- By ram_sg in forum Android AppsReplies: 5Last Post: 12-30-2009, 01:29 PM
- By overshard in forum General Help and How ToReplies: 2Last Post: 11-25-2009, 11:01 AM
- By Ignitros in forum General Help and How ToReplies: 3Last Post: 11-15-2009, 11:03 AM
- By xr4racer in forum Motorola DroidReplies: 0Last Post: 11-06-2009, 01:37 PM
- By Flexilis in forum Android AppsReplies: 9Last Post: 10-20-2009, 12:38 AM