Like Tree15Likes
  • 9 Post By jimrebello
  • 3 Post By greydarrah
  • 1 Post By frenziedfemale
  • 1 Post By TheSkinturd
  • 1 Post By Rizy7
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Screen scratched without doing anything?

So I had just started using my Nexus 4 in the past week and I only had it in my pocket with my keys in it and I scratched it somehow. I had my Samsung Transform Ultra on Boost for over a year and I never had a scratch on it without a screen protector. Is this a problem or am I just stupid?

Default Re: Screen scratched without doing anything?

Are you seriously saying you had it in your pocket with your keys and you don't know how it got scratched?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by 2:
    yfan, chubb, quicksilver53 and 6 others like this.

Gorilla Glass is scratch resistant, not scratch proof. If you're going to carry it around in your pocket with keys, it's probably going to get scratched. It's like a watch that is water resistant...if you swim a lot with it on, at some point it will likely get water inside.

I'm not going to say that you're stupid (like you asked), only because it would likely get myself more points docked against me, but I would not consider what you did overflowing with intelligence.
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/
    Thanked by:
    mdcraig, Josphe72 and NexusGirlX like this.

Screen protector
    Josphe72 likes this.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Yeah, thanks. I just don't understand how it never happened to my old phone but whatever. Thanks for telling me stuff that I already know.
    quicksilver53 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jimrebello View Post
    Are you seriously saying you had it in your pocket with your keys and you don't know how it got scratched?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by greydarrah View Post
    Gorilla Glass is scratch resistant, not scratch proof. If you're going to carry it around in your pocket with keys, it's probably going to get scratched. It's like a watch that is water resistant...if you swim a lot with it on, at some point it will likely get water inside.

I'm not going to say that you're stupid (like you asked), only because it would likely get myself more points docked against me, but I would not consider what you did overflowing with intelligence.
    Keys do not scratch gorilla glass! You can watch hundreds of videos on YouTube showing this if you don't believe me.

Now sand on the other hand is everywhere and will scratch gorilla glass

Sent from my Note 2

There need not be keys involved.
    Just imagine you got your hands dirty and put them into your pockets. That way you may have introduced some piece of small rock, grain or mineral to it.
    Its crystal edges might easily scratch your Gorilla glass screen, especially if backed by solid metal keys..

Quote Originally Posted by So Cold View Post
    Keys do not scratch gorilla glass! You can watch hundreds of videos on YouTube showing this if you don't believe me.
    I scratched mine with the stupid little metal pocket clip on a plastic pen pen.

I laid the phone down on table. I then dropped a pen onto the table and it bounced once and landed on the phone. The plastic pen's metal pocket clip managed to scratch the glass.

I say BS when people that say metal objects like keys "do not scratch" gorilla glass. Perhaps "sometimes" or "rarely" but it can happen. There are hundreds of videos of bigfoot, and ghosts, and of bigfoot's ghost on youtube, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Nonymous666 View Post
    I scratched mine with the stupid little metal pocket clip on a plastic pen pen.

I laid the phone down on table. I then dropped a pen onto the table and it bounced once and landed on the phone. The plastic pen's metal pocket clip managed to scratch the glass.

I say BS when people that say metal objects like keys "do not scratch" gorilla glass. Perhaps "sometimes" or "rarely" but it can happen. There are hundreds of videos of bigfoot, and ghosts, and of bigfoot's ghost on youtube, too.
    Quite the scientific argument there. You do realize that there are knowns and facts behind material science. It isn't just "well stuff that's kind of hard might scratch the glass sometimes..."

And no I don't believe that a bouncing pen scratched any gorilla glass screen. Even with something that is hard enough to scratch the glass you do need some force

Sent from my Note 2

ROM
    LiquidSmooth

So Cold likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nonymous666 View Post
    Google should have used Bigfoot Glass.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

While I'm here, ever since I got my phone, if I shake it I hear a rattling sound. Is this supposed to happen?

Quote Originally Posted by TheSkinturd View Post
    While I'm here, ever since I got my phone, if I shake it I hear a rattling sound. Is this supposed to happen?
    The rattling has been reported by others. Seems like a minor build quality defect.

Sent from my Huawei Ascend P1

ROM
    Stock Xoom, Nexus 4 AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by TheSkinturd View Post
    It's the camera. Just about all of them have the rattling, it is normal. Some of the rattle may be the cameras auto focus, and the volume button rattles as well. Try holding the volume button and shake it, mine still has a slight rattle, so I believe the XDA threads that say it is the autofocus. Apperantly the iPod touch, iP5, and many other phones do as well. Here is a thread on AC about it.

Nexus 4 rattle & autofocus issues

ROM
    Stock Xoom, Nexus 4 AOKP

I have scratched gorilla glass with pocket dirt already. It is scratch resistant, not scratch proof, big difference. And I don't put a lot of faith in youtube videos. Rule of thumb, if you keep your phone in your pocket, keep it by itself. No change, keys, lighters and such in the same pocket, same goes for purses. I have also read that it is the coating, to help cutback on fingerprints and oil, that Corning puts on the glass that scratches not the glass itself. Here is post I found quick from , which are not scratch resistant or proof. At the end of the day, use a screen protector or you will have scratches eventually.

Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    ROM
    KitKat 4.4 Stock Android

Quote Originally Posted by Rizy7 View Post
    I would watch that but then I saw it was that "her". I can't stand her videos she drones on and on before getting the point. What should be a 2-5 minute video (tops) is a 16 minute video.

Quote Originally Posted by Goodeye View Post
    I would watch that but then I saw it was that "her". I can't stand her videos she drones on and on before getting the point. What should be a 2-5 minute video (tops) is a 16 minute video.
    You might learn something

Sent from my Note 2

Only suggestion would just to be aware of what your screen may be pressed up against. In a pocket with your keys one small move may rub the phone the wrong way :/

Global Posts
    49 Global Posts

Unfortunately, you have to use a screen protector or be very careful with your phone if you want it to remain scratch free. I use Ghost Armor. It cost $25 installed with a lifetime warranty.