Do I really need a file extremely app?

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm a little unsure why everyone says file explore apps are so good to have on your phone. I'm not rooted or anything and am honestly afraid to dig too much in the phones files just in case I remove or mess with something important.

So, what does a file manager app like solid explorer or astro give you?

wildmangk

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
At least for me...it gives me the option to move my pictures and music around with ease without having to plug it into my laptop to do it. Convenience.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Exactly what the name implies: it lets you manage your files on the sdcard partition. Instead of having to plug your phone into your computer to find and delete files to free up space, open a file you downloaded, etc., you can do it right from your phone.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Algus

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I like having it. I'm not really a power user or anything but it is nice to have full control over my downloaded content. I've found that some apps that do screenshots require me to move the screenshots from an app specific folder to get it into my gallery. I've also had other needs, mostly involving moving downloaded content around so various apps could recognize or view said content. And since most of them pretty much work the same way folders do on computer OSes, they are pretty easy to learn.

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm still worried I might accidently mess my phone up by digging into it using the file explorer. Even if I'm not rooted, can I benefit from a file explorer?

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm still worried I might accidently mess my phone up by digging into it using the file explorer. Even if I'm not rooted, can I benefit from a file explorer?

No need to worry - if you're not ROOTed you won't have access to folders that could irreparably mess your device up.

I personally just use it to move media around.
For example if I take a picture I don't necessarily want it to be stuck in the "Camera" folder so I move it to a more appropriately named folder I created - all using a File Explorer App.

I use "Bluetooth File Transfer"--> https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...details?id=it.medieval.blueftp&token=LI3SDcwW
It's not pretty but gets the job done & I initially got it years ago to get around a problem I was having with my Nexus S. I keep it even though there's newer Apps simply because while I don't need the Bluetooth functionality anymore its File Explorer functionality works fine & I paid to remove ads so don't feel like paying again just for a nicer interface or a couple bells & whistles. They all pretty much do the same at least for my uses.

Last edited:

ohyeahar

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Let?s say you want to attach a PDF file, a Word file, and a photo file to a Gmail message. This is impossible without a file explorer.

Some file explorers such as ES File Explorer and Solid Explorer allows access to your cloud storage accounts (e.g. Dropbox, Drive, etc). This means you can easily move files back and forth.

Just be smart and you won?t mess anything up. If you go about deleting random stuff and moving things around that you don?t know anything about, then of course, you?ll encounter problems.

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Ok guys, tell me I didn't mess anything up in my phobe:

I was messing with the hotel editor because I wasn't sure what it was. I deleted some of the code, but didn't tell it to save or anything. But the app crashed when I did this. Now, would even doing this mess anything up?

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
I don't think I was messing with any android system stuff though, I think I was just in the kindle app HTML code or something.

So, I literaly cant get to any vital stuff to accidental mess up unless I'm rooted, right? Sorry, I'm just anxious about all this openness because I came from ios before this :p so I'm worried about unintentionally doing someone bad to my phone

Rizy7

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I don't think I was messing with any android system stuff though, I think I was just in the kindle app HTML code or something.

So, I literaly cant get to any vital stuff to accidental mess up unless I'm rooted, right? Sorry, I'm just anxious about all this openness because I came from ios before this :p so I'm worried about unintentionally doing someone bad to my phone

You got to be smart about what you do, many apps will have some kind of folder in your sd card for setting or data or something. Messing around with them will cause data loss. Generally only mess around with files that you can identify such as your pictures, music etc.

wunderbar

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
I have one installed on all of my devices, and the times I need them it is super handy. Don't need it often, truly only about once or twice a month, but I'd be lost those times without it.

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
You got to be smart about what you do, many apps will have some kind of folder in your sd card for setting or data or something. Messing around with them will cause data loss. Generally only mess around with files that you can identify such as your pictures, music etc.

Right.

But messing around with that app data stuff would only effect that app, and not everything else with the phone, right? Like performance and etc?

iaminflames

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Like someone else already said you can't mess up your android system from a file manager unless you're rooted. Deleting stuff from your SD card might mess up some apps but won't hurt your system at all.

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Like someone else already said you can't mess up your android system from a file manager unless you're rooted. Deleting stuff from your SD card might mess up some apps but won't hurt your system at all.

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

How come you can edit the html of an app anyway?

Rizy7

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
You wont be able to mess up the system at all.. Only your own files and app data.. Basically youll have access to everything you have access to when you have your phone plugged into a computer.

Tronstar

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I use ES and love it. I use it to rename photos I take and move downloaded file to desired locations. As stated, without root privileges, you can't edit system files.