Google going for the jugular.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Wait... wtf are you saying? That Microsoft was screwed by the government?

My point has nothing you do with if it was right or not. What I am saying is that Microsoft tried to leverage their OS dominance to get everyone to use their browser and it bit them in the ***.

My point is that if Google rolled out a dirt cheap high speed internet service nationwide, they run the risk of running afoul of regulators. It would be hard for them to argue that they weren't a monopoly.

Want internet? Here is the fastest one at a fraction of the cost. Need a tablet? Here is the best one that's also one of the least expensive. Our free browser also works great with all our free applications, like our word processor, etc. Get an android phone too and tie it all together.. you don't need to look anywhere else. Oh, and we are working on a new OS too, dirt cheap.

The govt has broken up companies for less.

Sent from my SCH-I200

llamainmypocket

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
As far as I'm concerned Google is doing god's work and making the world a better place. I have little doubt that some day it will be too much but as long as the original two founders are at the helm it is going to remain a wonderful company. The only people who don't like Google are paranoid but if Mark Zuckerberg Was welding the same information I promise you it would be broken up in a heart beat.

wildmangk

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Google needs to bring this to Lebanon, Pa damnit! I'm stuck on Verizons slow dsl (3.1-7 up and like .5-1 up) because it is fastest internet besides Comcast. I will not do business with comcast. They are terrible at customer service, and try to make you pay to fix your internet when it is their issue up on the poles, not in the house. I would go to Hughes net if I have to over Comcast! Although if Google fiber would make it to the east coast at least, it might start to make Comcast change their ways. Cable companies need some real internet competition and Google is the only one that is serious about giving them some, just very slowly.

So true! I hate comcast but thats all theres around Portland OR. Their stupid trying to charge me $50 to come check out why Im averaging 10mbps instead of the 30mbps Im supposed to have...ridiculous

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm all for Google bringing us more services but...
-building their own airport
-providing us TV service
-providing us Internet service
-hopefully soon providing us phone service if rumors are accurate
-self-driving cars

What don't they have their hands in, seriously...
...Skynet anyone?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
At this rate it'll be 2020 before they hit a dozen markets. Not exactly "going for the jugular" with that one...

EDIT: I'm wondering why Google Fiber is part of the Nexus 4 sub-forum?

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm all for Google bringing us more services but...
-building their own airport
-providing us TV service
-providing us Internet service
-hopefully soon providing us phone service if rumors are accurate
-self-driving cars

What don't they have their hands in, seriously...
...Skynet anyone?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
Google has an airport. Okay then. I say they partner with Virgin Corp and make our lives AWESOME!

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.

Unicorn Rancher

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Want internet? Here is the fastest one at a fraction of the cost. Need a tablet? Here is the best one that's also one of the least expensive. Our free browser also works great with all our free applications, like our word processor, etc. Get an android phone too and tie it all together.. you don't need to look anywhere else. Oh, and we are working on a new OS too, dirt cheap.
Not in the United States (yet) but Competitors launch European antitrust complaint against Google over mobile apps | Android Central

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Google fiber optic at the speed it's being rolled out is not "going for the jugular." Two cities in five years? More like a scratch.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
It looked to me like they were expanding in Kansas/ Missouri first, so it may take some time to reach Texas. Hope they bring it to san Antonio, though, because TWC sucks. Pay for 15mbs and rarely reach 4. Only options in my area were att and twc :-(

Sent from my Verizon Droid DNA

llamainmypocket

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
Google fiber optic at the speed it's being rolled out is not "going for the jugular." Two cities in five years? More like a scratch.

Lincoln city only rolled out fiber like 6-8 months ago. Besides, at&t seems to have been threatened as they've also announced a similar service in Austin about 24 hours after the official announcement.

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Lincoln city only rolled out fiber like 6-8 months ago. Besides, at&t seems to have been threatened as they've also announced a similar service in Austin about 24 hours after the official announcement.

You mean U-Verse? Because that launched around 7 years ago and has been expanding ever since. But what does Lincoln City have to do with anything?

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
KC is what I meant. I have no idea what u-verse is. Google Fiber launched a number of months ago. Not years.

Fiber debuted midsummer last year, and U-Verse is AT&T's fiber optic network that's been around, and expanding, since 2006. Not that it matters, but Verizon also has a fiber optic service label FiOS. Neither service are remotely as fast as Fiber, I'm merely pointing out Google was not first to the fiber optic network game. Furthermore, at this rate Google shouldn't be threatening anyone... One market per year isn't exactly record shattering growth.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site

Fiber debuted midsummer last year, and U-Verse is AT&T's fiber optic network that's been around, and expanding, since 2006. Not that it matters, but Verizon also has a fiber optic service label FiOS. Neither service are remotely as fast as Fiber, I'm merely pointing out Google was not first to the fiber optic network game. Furthermore, at this rate Google shouldn't be threatening anyone... One market per year isn't exactly record shattering growth.

I see the Google Fiber project having a much larger impact through its concept than it will through any sort of market penetration. As consumers and small/medium businesses start to become more aware of the advantages, opportunities, and convenience that comes with a truly fast and unrestricted service, and cable companies begin to feel pressure even in a small number of markets, the infamous service provided by ISPs in the United States such as Comcast will hopefully start to change.

Similar to how T-Mobile has changed to non-contractual mobile plans with the "uncarrier" branding. They're trying to capitalize on increasing consumer awareness and demand for less restricted mobile service with increased value. I can see the same thing happening as average people become more aware of initiatives like Google Fiber and Gigabit Squared on the Gigabit Seattle project.

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
I see the Google Fiber project having a much larger impact through its concept than it will through any sort of market penetration. As consumers and small/medium businesses start to become more aware of the advantages, opportunities, and convenience that comes with a truly fast and unrestricted service, and cable companies begin to feel pressure even in a small number of markets, the infamous service provided by ISPs in the United States such as Comcast will hopefully start to change.

Similar to how T-Mobile has changed to non-contractual mobile plans with the "uncarrier" branding. They're trying to capitalize on increasing consumer awareness and demand for less restricted mobile service with increased value. I can see the same thing happening as average people become more aware of initiatives like Google Fiber and Gigabit Squared on the Gigabit Seattle project.

I absolutely agree Fiber will be huge and pressure the big guys (ahem, Comcast), but I don't think Google is ready for that quite yet. Moving this slow through markets suggests Google is still developing the product and refining it; I fully would expect a huge, nationwide launch when Google deems the service ready for the masses.

All I've been saying in this thread, though, is that Google is definitely not "going for the jugular" by expanding to a whopping two markets.

llamainmypocket

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site

Give them a little time. Laying their network is very costly and nobody would jump in to that type of investment all at once. I'd imagine they will have every major city in the country covered in five to did years.

You're right that there are some fiber optics networks around and they quickly found out that it wasn't profitable because they refuse to provide a competitive service with each other. Strangely enough, its quickly become both inexpensive and profitable as soon as Google steps in.

Make no mistake, Google isn't doing this to rule the world. Its doing this because it needs a liberated internet. Cheap, fast, competitive. Cloud based computing won't ever work with 30 Mbps the way Google sees it working. If they happen to be a permanent broadband provider than its only because the crooked ones we have now deserve to get killed.

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Give them a little time. Laying their network is very costly and nobody would jump in to that type of investment all at once. I'd imagine they will have every major city in the country covered in five to did years.

You're right that there are some fiber optics networks around and they quickly found out that it wasn't profitable because they refuse to provide a competitive service with each other. Strangely enough, its quickly become both inexpensive and profitable as soon as Google steps in.

Make no mistake, Google isn't doing this to rule the world. Its doing this because it needs a liberated internet. Cheap, fast, competitive. Cloud based computing won't ever work with 30 Mbps the way Google sees it working. If they happen to be a permanent broadband provider than its only because the crooked ones we have now deserve to get killed.

Pretty much spot on. I don't see five years though. That's a lot of fiber and a lot of ground to cover in five years even ten. Not to mention the approvals, permits and government issues to get through first before the first line is laid.

I can see TW, Comcast, AT&T, and Verizon ganging up and trying to stop, or at the very least slow Google down, once the rollouts get bigger and faster.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Tall Mike 2145

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
AT&T and Verizon are the only two companies I see which could actually compete against Google, because AT&T is the one which owns and has laid most of the backbone in this country (and it's all fiber), and because Verizon has FIOS going on. Comcast and Time-Warner are somewhat behind the eight ball, but that being said, that doesn't mean I don't think they cannot catch up. They simply have to change over much of their infrastructure and what's called their "physical plant" to do so.

Nevertheless, I see all of these various companies definitely ganging up on Google. After all, if you can't beat them, sic the government on them. That's just how the game is played.

llamainmypocket

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
Pretty much spot on. I don't see five years though. That's a lot of fiber and a lot of ground to cover in five years even ten. Not to mention the approvals, permits and government issues to get through first before the first line is laid.

I can see TW, Comcast, AT&T, and Verizon ganging up and trying to stop, or at the very least slow Google down, once the rollouts get bigger and faster.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

They could only do so through regulation and as excited as the public is about the speeds and price Google is offering,I say, fat chance. The other alternative is offering a comparative speed and price as Google, in which case Google wins by liberating the internet.

The next big jump in technology isn't going to be smaller and more powerful devices. Its going to be a cloud based device that you are accessing remotely through the internet. It would be like running a super computer the size of a phone or tablet. You can't do that with the bandwidth we have now.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech