Some N4 niggles

briankariu

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Been using the N4 for about a week, and I got some niggles.
1. Anyone notice that NFC is a hit and miss when you have the bumper case on?without the bumper case it works flawlessly, but with the bumper case, thats a whole different story

2. Very rarely when moving from very resource intensive applications the phone freezes. It just freezes and you have to hard restart it. It has happened twice to me, dunno if anyone out there has experienced something similar

3. The notification LED is not as big as I thought it would be

Otherwise its a pretty awesome device. Am actually able to use it one handed.
P.S it fell and guess what, the screen did not shatter

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
1. nfc range is very short. thats why N4 official case dont have a back protection. people look for thinner case for nfc. its a known fact.
2. havent happened to me at all. check if that app has some known issues.

briankariu

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Am using the official play store bumper.
And the freeze happened on two completely unrelated apps

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Been using the N4 for about a week, and I got some niggles.
1. Anyone notice that NFC is a hit and miss when you have the bumper case on?without the bumper case it works flawlessly, but with the bumper case, thats a whole different story
You do realize that isn't because of the bumper, right? There is no way that something covering the side of the phone could interfere with something being transmitted through the back of the phone.

2. Very rarely when moving from very resource intensive applications the phone freezes. It just freezes and you have to hard restart it. It has happened twice to me, dunno if anyone out there has experienced something similar
Never happened to me. You might want to try a factory reset. Also, I'm not sure what you mean by "hard restart". Could you clarify?

3. The notification LED is not as big as I thought it would be

Otherwise its a pretty awesome device. Am actually able to use it one handed.
Yup, it's awesome :D

Same here, and no case

frenziedfemale

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
You can use superbeam to transfer files. It gives you the option to use a QR code and scan it instead of lining up the backs of your devices. I love it, super easy and quick. Free on the playstore, you need it on both devices

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
You do realize that isn't because of the bumper, right?

Doesn't the bumper raise the back of the phone somewhat meaning it can no longer directly contact the other device? Nfc has a very small distance it can communicate over and works best when the devices are touching. I can imagine the bumper DOES prevent this.

JK McKnight

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site

They must've given you the military version by mistake, personally I got nervous when a fly landed on the screen once. As there was another fly buzzing around it I figured the phone was being exposed to a very high risk so I stowed it in the triple-padded gun carrying case I purchased to put the phone in when I need to move it.

Seriously, this phone is far above average in the prone-to-shatter department, its use should be restricted to people who don't carry their phone on them but simply move it from home to office and back, tucking it into a thick casing during the journey.

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I've gone naked since getting it in December so NFC isn't a problem however agree with the other 2 especially the size of the LED indicator wishing it was bigger like on the GNex.

Goodeye

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
They must've given you the military version by mistake, personally I got nervous when a fly landed on the screen once. As there was another fly buzzing around it I figured the phone was being exposed to a very high risk so I stowed it in the triple-padded gun carrying case I purchased to put the phone in when I need to move it.

Seriously, this phone is far above average in the prone-to-shatter department, its use should be restricted to people who don't carry their phone on them but simply move it from home to office and back, tucking it into a thick casing during the journey.

We get it you think the screen is too prone to shatter.

You don't need to make the same statement in a bunch of threads

Last edited:

ohyeahar

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Regarding the NFC issue, it?s probably just like what the others have posted. That is, the bumper is causing you to position your N4 in a less than ideal position for NFC to work.

Regarding the freezing, what are the problematic apps? Perhaps some of us can try to replicate it? I?d say that the issue is with the app and not the N4.

As an aside, there are several ways a device can be restarted and the terms used to describe them are very specific in their definition. I notice that a lot of people often use them incorrectly.
A restart can be described as hard or soft.
A hard restart means a data wipe or factory reset. (This is often confused with a cold restart)
A soft restart just means a reboot and can be described as warm or cold.
A warm restart means a reboot without powering down.
A cold restart means you removed power to force a shutdown and then booted up again.

Regarding the notification LED, it?s definitely smaller and not as bright as the one on the Galaxy Nexus. Is it for better or for worse? Meh.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Because of NFC's short-range limitations, it's also very dependent on positioning. With a case (or raised bumper) on a phone like the Nexus 4, you'll need to make sure you line up the NFC antennae more accurately in order for Android Beam to trigger.

I was using a Galaxy Nexus as my personal phone before the Nexus 4, and so I know what you mean by the LED seeming small. I've gotten used to it though, and I'm fairly good at noticing it in my peripheral vision at this point.

Edit: what ohyeahar said. ^

jc0187

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
I've had freezing issues with Google earth multiple times. It really sucks when your showing off your phone and it happens. When I do show it off, I have to remind myself " FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! DONT ROTATE THE MAP WHILE ZOOMING IN!!!

JK McKnight

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Your lack of humor is not amusing.

sent from my Nexus 4 // GeekSquad FT ARA // NYLI

Goodeye's total miss on the light-hearted sarcasm factor was quite deplorable, wasn't it. And for the record, if ever he reads this post, I did not put it in many threads, just this one. I never copy and paste my own posts that's called spam.

Now the reason I post again in this old thread is to thank LG and Google for their great improvement of the glass used in second-generation Nexus 4's and the new Nexus 5. They will never admit the original glass was defective but fixing it pretty much amounts to an admission of responsibility for a shoddy yet essential part. I had bought a discounted Galaxy S3 to replace my cracked N4... and m niece dropped it the same evening, cracking the screen. I had thoughts of some forgotten centuries-old family curse that I may had inadvertently brought back to life during a recent visit to my ancestral homeland in Scotland. I remember I had farted in a church... had I offended a spirit?

Anyway the day after the Galaxy mishap I brought it to a cell where they fixed the glass for 60 bucks. I remarked to the clerk about the Nexus 4 and he informed me that LG had fixed the problem with new glass that was likely to be the toughest he had seen on a phone. Had he told me before fixing the S3 I would have saved $60 because now I wanted a new Nexus 4. I resisted my urge 2 whole weeks and then got one. Plenty of comments already on how better it handles than the earlier so I simply say I agree. And great news for those of you who still have old cracked N4's if get it fixed now you get the new glass/digitalizer combo, not the old shoddy one. I have dropped my new phone several times including on ceramic and concrete and have yet to see any damage.

Now I want a Nexus 5 :D

JK McKnight

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Am too afraid to use it naked considering that it took me about 4 months to get it :) so am being super careful

Based on the date you posted this you probably have the newer version which is far less prone to crack. Case is always a good idea but with a phone that looks this good it can be hard to resist showing it off lol

1210saad

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
My phone freezis all the time and randomly reboots. I hope 4.4.3 fixes this.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk