Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By briankariu
  • 1 Post By ohyeahar
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Some N4 niggles

Been using the N4 for about a week, and I got some niggles.
    1. Anyone notice that NFC is a hit and miss when you have the bumper case on?without the bumper case it works flawlessly, but with the bumper case, thats a whole different story

2. Very rarely when moving from very resource intensive applications the phone freezes. It just freezes and you have to hard restart it. It has happened twice to me, dunno if anyone out there has experienced something similar

3. The notification LED is not as big as I thought it would be

Otherwise its a pretty awesome device. Am actually able to use it one handed.
    P.S it fell and guess what, the screen did not shatter

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:
    Patrick Schroedl likes this.

Default Re: Some N4 niggles

1. nfc range is very short. thats why N4 official case dont have a back protection. people look for thinner case for nfc. its a known fact.
    2. havent happened to me at all. check if that app has some known issues.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Am using the official play store bumper.
    And the freeze happened on two completely unrelated apps

Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (soon to be PA3)

Quote Originally Posted by briankariu View Post
    Been using the N4 for about a week, and I got some niggles.
    1. Anyone notice that NFC is a hit and miss when you have the bumper case on?without the bumper case it works flawlessly, but with the bumper case, thats a whole different story
    You do realize that isn't because of the bumper, right? There is no way that something covering the side of the phone could interfere with something being transmitted through the back of the phone.

2. Very rarely when moving from very resource intensive applications the phone freezes. It just freezes and you have to hard restart it. It has happened twice to me, dunno if anyone out there has experienced something similar
    Never happened to me. You might want to try a factory reset. Also, I'm not sure what you mean by "hard restart". Could you clarify?

3. The notification LED is not as big as I thought it would be

Otherwise its a pretty awesome device. Am actually able to use it one handed.
    Yup, it's awesome

Same here, and no case

You can use superbeam to transfer files. It gives you the option to use a QR code and scan it instead of lining up the backs of your devices. I love it, super easy and quick. Free on the playstore, you need it on both devices

Quote Originally Posted by return_0 View Post
    You do realize that isn't because of the bumper, right?
    Doesn't the bumper raise the back of the phone somewhat meaning it can no longer directly contact the other device? Nfc has a very small distance it can communicate over and works best when the devices are touching. I can imagine the bumper DOES prevent this.

Quote Originally Posted by briankariu View Post
    They must've given you the military version by mistake, personally I got nervous when a fly landed on the screen once. As there was another fly buzzing around it I figured the phone was being exposed to a very high risk so I stowed it in the triple-padded gun carrying case I purchased to put the phone in when I need to move it.

Seriously, this phone is far above average in the prone-to-shatter department, its use should be restricted to people who don't carry their phone on them but simply move it from home to office and back, tucking it into a thick casing during the journey.

I've gone naked since getting it in December so NFC isn't a problem however agree with the other 2 especially the size of the LED indicator wishing it was bigger like on the GNex.

Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    ROM
    KitKat 4.4 Stock Android

Quote Originally Posted by JK McKnight View Post
    They must've given you the military version by mistake, personally I got nervous when a fly landed on the screen once. As there was another fly buzzing around it I figured the phone was being exposed to a very high risk so I stowed it in the triple-padded gun carrying case I purchased to put the phone in when I need to move it.

Seriously, this phone is far above average in the prone-to-shatter department, its use should be restricted to people who don't carry their phone on them but simply move it from home to office and back, tucking it into a thick casing during the journey.
    We get it you think the screen is too prone to shatter.

You don't need to make the same statement in a bunch of threads
    Last edited by Goodeye; 04-07-2013 at 04:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Goodeye View Post
    We get it you think the screen is too prone to shatter.

You don't need to make the same statement in a bunch of threads
    Your lack of humor is not amusing.

sent from my Nexus 4 // GeekSquad FT ARA // NYLI
    PAST PHONES: iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, Atrix 4G, HTC One X, Samsung S3, Nexus 4, Blackberry Z10, iPhone 5
    CURRENT PHONE: Motorola Moto X
    OTHER DEVICES: Nexus 7, MacBook Pro (2008), Asus Win8 Laptop, ASUS Iconia Tab, Microsoft Surface RT, Custom Desktop Win7

ROM
    CM10

Regarding the NFC issue, itís probably just like what the others have posted. That is, the bumper is causing you to position your N4 in a less than ideal position for NFC to work.

Regarding the freezing, what are the problematic apps? Perhaps some of us can try to replicate it? Iíd say that the issue is with the app and not the N4.

As an aside, there are several ways a device can be restarted and the terms used to describe them are very specific in their definition. I notice that a lot of people often use them incorrectly.
    A restart can be described as hard or soft.
    A hard restart means a data wipe or factory reset. (This is often confused with a cold restart)
    A soft restart just means a reboot and can be described as warm or cold.
    A warm restart means a reboot without powering down.
    A cold restart means you removed power to force a shutdown and then booted up again.

Regarding the notification LED, itís definitely smaller and not as bright as the one on the Galaxy Nexus. Is it for better or for worse? Meh.

Because of NFC's short-range limitations, it's also very dependent on positioning. With a case (or raised bumper) on a phone like the Nexus 4, you'll need to make sure you line up the NFC antennae more accurately in order for Android Beam to trigger.

I was using a Galaxy Nexus as my personal phone before the Nexus 4, and so I know what you mean by the LED seeming small. I've gotten used to it though, and I'm fairly good at noticing it in my peripheral vision at this point.

Edit: what ohyeahar said. ^

Global Posts
    256 Global Posts

I've had freezing issues with Google earth multiple times. It really sucks when your showing off your phone and it happens. When I do show it off, I have to remind myself " FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! DONT ROTATE THE MAP WHILE ZOOMING IN!!!
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Am too afraid to use it naked considering that it took me about 4 months to get it :-) so am being super careful