Nexus 4 + Chrome/General Overheat

Jacob29

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Hi there, I've had my Nexus 4 for quite a while now but I've started noticing something.

Whenever I use Chrome for quite a while, or any app (but this isn't usually much of an issue in apps) my phone gets hot. REAL hot. SystemTuner widget sometimes reports 72*C

lefnkvg.png

To get this I merely went onto DeviantArt and looked at a picture. Scrolling throughout the page.

I was even charging my phone via USB during this, and the battery went DOWN from 17% to 13% even WHILE charging. Granted USB is much slower than Plug but even when I have just been browsing my phone it will charge 0% from USB and merely stay at the same level.

Does anyone else have this type of problem with their phone or should I consider invoking the warranty for faulty hardware?

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Have you tried a different browser?

You also might try clearing the cache for Chrome.

- - - Updated - - -

Have you tried a different browser?

You also might try clearing the cache for Chrome.

Jacob29

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Do you know of any browsers that let me login with my google account and copy over my bookmarks?

It's one of the only reasons I dont use a different one.

I haven't tried the cache actually but will report back after clearing it.

Edit: Clearing it did nothing to help.

Last edited:

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
2 easy things to try, if you haven't already, are to reboot the phone, and to uninstall/reinstall Chrome. Also, is it a particular site that you are going to that causes the heat? If so, maybe it has some scripting or something else going on in the background that is running the **** out of the processor.

Jacob29

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
It's been like this for a while, since many a reboot.

I haven't rooted my phone so I can unintsall Chrome, but I did reinstall all updates which haven't changed anything.

I tried using Firefox on the same website + picture and it didn't get to 70*C but did get around 60*C, so still uncomfortably warm.

TheLegoman

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
My phone also gets really hot when I browse the internet with it plugged in. My only suggestion would be to not browse the internet or do anything that would tax the processor with the phone plugged in.

TvTechGuru

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
I had a problem where my battery started to rapidly discharge and the phone got very hot! It wasn't while web browsing like you so I can't attest to that. But I will say that the fix for me was doing a master phone reset. After that it's been great. Like a new phone. If you don't mind going through the process of backing up anything from the internal storage and then resetting and resynchronizing your Google account. That might fix it. I don't know for sure just throwing it out there.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums