Nexus 4 Purchase Tmobile vs. Google play

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I was just in a T-Mobile store last week looking at the Nexus 4. I asked if a Nexus 4 bought from Google Play would work the same as a T-Mobile Nexus 4. He said that the Nexus bought from Google would only operate on 2G speed and not 4G like the one from T-Mobile. He said that any unlocked phone that works on GSM would only work at 2G speed. It sounds like salesman BS, but I have no idea. Thoughts?

The salesman was incorrect. I have a Nexus 4 purchased from Google and use it with T-Mobile. It works fine with their HSPA+ network (what TMO markets as their 4G network).

While some unlocked GSM phones are not compatible with T-Mobile's 3G/4G service, the Nexus 4 supports the required frequencies.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

olgeezer44

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
We currently have the old flip phones with prepaid plans on ATT & Verizon. We would like to switch to Nexus 4. We have a Nexus 10 tablet and like it so we are thinking that Nexus 4 would sync without problems--we hope. Looks like Google Play has the best price for Nexus 4's at $349. We do not have any T Mobile stores here although Walmart and Office Depot are shown as retail outlets. If we buy the Nexus 4's from Google, what do we have to do to the phones to get them to work on a T-Mobile monthly plan?

Also, will we be able to sync our Google calendar to our phones, PC's, and Tablet? Thanks for any ideas, comments, etc..

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
We currently have the old flip phones with prepaid plans on ATT & Verizon. We would like to switch to Nexus 4. We have a Nexus 10 tablet and like it so we are thinking that Nexus 4 would sync without problems--we hope. Looks like Google Play has the best price for Nexus 4's at $349. We do not have any T Mobile stores here although Walmart and Office Depot are shown as retail outlets. If we buy the Nexus 4's from Google, what do we have to do to the phones to get them to work on a T-Mobile monthly plan?

Also, will we be able to sync our Google calendar to our phones, PC's, and Tablet? Thanks for any ideas, comments, etc..

just go to ATT store and get the micro SIM from ATT and ask them to activate it.
insert the sim on your N4.

btw, verizon wont work with N4.

and Yes, your Google calendar will be synced to your phones

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

You could get a Micro-SIM from T-Mo online... Unlocked iPhone and GSM Phone Sim Card Plans | BYOD | T-Mobile

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Is there any benefit either way of purchasing the Nexus 4 through Tmobile or through Google play directly? It's more expensive to go through tmobile. Any more or less bloatware? Maybe wifi calling not available through google? Not really into paying extra to get one branded with a tmobile logo if it's no different otherwise.

Yes, it is more expensive through T-Mobile. But not by a lot ($427 at T-Mobile Vs $387 at Play).

T-Mobile will finance you on it (and it is 0% interest, though the total cost is more). Google Play will not.

No branding. No Bloatware. My Nexus was T-Mobile free. T-Mobile does appear as the carrier on the bottom of the notification bar, but thats it.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I agree that there is no reason to buy the N4 from tmobile unless you just don't have $350.00 to spend upfront.

snookasnoo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Exactly what 6tr6tr said, T-Mobile no longer has on-contract plans. So there is literally no advantage in buying from T-Mobile.

That's not true and they are no longer allowed to say that in at least one state. If you buy a phone from them and pay monthly on it with a penalty if you stop that's a contract.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
That's not true and they are no longer allowed to say that in at least one state. If you buy a phone from them and pay monthly on it with a penalty if you stop that's a contract.

No, it means paying for your phone. It's not considered a contract. You can't possibly expect to get away with a free high-end phone on T-Mobile or any other carrier.

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
TMobile doesn't have contracts anymore.

Yes they do.

Try buying the phone on that new plan and deciding you don't want the service after 2 months and tell me how much you owe them.

And they will not take payments after you cancel.

It's the same thing, yet they are upfront about the subsidy and have a sneakier way of charging a higher ETF

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

olgeezer44

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site

Thanks! I thought I read somewhere that you have to do something to the phone if you get it from Google Play before you add the t-mobile sim card, but I don't remember what it is?

Someone said the phone is $374, but I checked today and it's $349 for 16gb model. The process doesn't seem to bad, but we have to figure out how we can keep out same numbers if possible.

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Yes they do.

Try buying the phone on that new plan and deciding you don't want the service after 2 months and tell me how much you owe them.

And they will not take payments after you cancel.

It's the same thing, yet they are upfront about the subsidy and have a sneakier way of charging a higher ETF

You're confusing a service contract and financing the hardware.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Thanks! I thought I read somewhere that you have to do something to the phone if you get it from Google Play before you add the t-mobile sim card, but I don't remember what it is?

Someone said the phone is $374, but I checked today and it's $349 for 16gb model. The process doesn't seem to bad, but we have to figure out how we can keep out same numbers if possible.

Its 373.52 after taxes and shipping, I just checked.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-05-28 at 4.24.17 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-05-28 at 4.24.17 PM.png
    25.1 KB · Views: 108

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
You're confusing a service contract and financing the hardware.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Either way it's still a contract.

If it was truly no contract but financing hardware, you'd be able to keep making the payments if you decided to stop using the service.

It's a sneaky way to circumvent rules dictating the most a carrier can charge as an ETF.

Semantics.

Like I said, if it were no contract, you'd still be able to make payments on the device even after dropping the service

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

T-Mobile will port your numbers over for you. It's right on the Activation page. Activate Your Prepaid Phone | Prepaid Activation Guide | T-Mobile

Since there is no T-Mo store in your area you will most likely have to rely on the website. They do have live chat techs there to help and the toll free number. It may take up to 24 hours to get your number ported over....

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guylenn49