Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree21Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    89 Global Posts

Default Nexus 4 Purchase Tmobile vs. Google play

Is there any benefit either way of purchasing the Nexus 4 through Tmobile or through Google play directly? It's more expensive to go through tmobile. Any more or less bloatware? Maybe wifi calling not available through google? Not really into paying extra to get one branded with a tmobile logo if it's no different otherwise.

Default Re: Nexus 4 Purchase Tmobile vs. Google play

there is no difference except
    Price (Play store is cheaper)
    Delivery(play store takes 2 day for delivery)
    Thanked by 3:

Global Posts
    1,118 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 4.4.2

If you are going to use the Nexus 4 with T-Mobile on contract then buy from them.... it will be cheaper for you. If not, then definitely buy from the Play Store.
    If my post helped you out...please be kind and hit the "THANKS BUTTON."
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Greg C View Post
    If you are going to use the Nexus 4 with T-Mobile on contract then buy from them.... it will be cheaper for you. If not, then definitely buy from the Play Store.
    TMobile doesn't have contracts anymore.

Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (soon to be PA3)

Quote Originally Posted by Greg C View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    TMobile doesn't have contracts anymore.
    Exactly what 6tr6tr said, T-Mobile no longer has on-contract plans. So there is literally no advantage in buying from T-Mobile.

You can get the Nexus 4 by paying $49 down and then a payment each month for 24 months on top of your monthly bill on the T-Mobile site. This was over the weekend so it may have changed for this week.
    Thanked by:
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    89 Global Posts

Which comes out to something like $479 total over the 2 years when you can buy directly from google for $349. I guess if you don't have that kind of cash laying around it's worth it for a two year loan on a phone. Think I'm going direct to google.
    On another note, looks like you can still go through places like wirefly and best buy to get a contract but I'm avoiding that. May even go with Straight talk and save another $5 a month. Curious if you can still tether with Straight talk or do I loose that feature that Tmo offers as part of their plan. I know I could always root.

Global Posts
    606 Global Posts
    ROM
    CodeName 3.3

I've also heard that Nexus 4s purchased from T-mobile are more likely to be flagged for tethering without the appropriate plan since they have the IMEI on file.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by mwilkins View Post
    I've also heard that Nexus 4s purchased from T-mobile are more likely to be flagged for tethering without the appropriate plan since they have the IMEI on file.
    They might check up on you more often, but the method by which they catch you is the same for all phones not running a stock T-Mo ROM: they're snooping the user agent string from your web browser and blocking you if you get caught pulling http data through a desktop browser.

Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (soon to be PA3)

So the general consensus is that there is no advantage but there are lots of disadvantages for buying from T-Mo.

Thanked by:
    mcshaggin, ConTejas and runtmms like this.

The advantage is similar to buying a car outright vs. financing. It requires less upfront capital to finance it, but you pay back more than you would have if you just bought it.

I was just in a T-Mobile store last week looking at the Nexus 4. I asked if a Nexus 4 bought from Google Play would work the same as a T-Mobile Nexus 4. He said that the Nexus bought from Google would only operate on 2G speed and not 4G like the one from T-Mobile. He said that any unlocked phone that works on GSM would only work at 2G speed. It sounds like salesman BS, but I have no idea. Thoughts?
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Muzzyz 4.2.1 build

Quote Originally Posted by George Jetson1 View Post
    I was just in a T-Mobile store last week looking at the Nexus 4. I asked if a Nexus 4 bought from Google Play would work the same as a T-Mobile Nexus 4. He said that the Nexus bought from Google would only operate on 2G speed and not 4G like the one from T-Mobile. He said that any unlocked phone that works on GSM would only work at 2G speed. It sounds like salesman BS, but I have no idea. Thoughts?
    Salesman bs. They are the same phone.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.2 using Tapatalk 2
    ConTejas and runtmms like this.

An excellent example of a clueless employee.
    ConTejas likes this.

T-Mobile does have contracts and have been told they can no longer claim they don't. If you have to pay x amount of dollars every month for a phone or else pay the remainder if you leave that's a contract.

Washington Attorney General settles with T-Mobile over ad claims
    The Washington Attorney General recently announced a court-ordered agreement with T-Mobile over the company’s new advertising campaign. T-Mobile has been promoting a new service plan that offers “no restrictions,” “no annual contract,” and no requirement that customers “serve a two-year sentence.” The plan, however, does not include a phone. Instead, T-Mobile offers consumers an option to purchase a phone at a monthly rate over a two-year term. (They also offer other phone options.) Consumers who purchase a phone must pay the full cost of the phone if they cancel before the end of the two-year period.
    The Attorney General alleged that T-Mobile misled consumers by advertising the absence of restrictions, an “annual contract,” and a “two-year sentence,” without adequately disclosing that customers who terminate their service before a device is paid off will have to pay the balance due on the phone upon cancellation. In some cases, the cost is higher than the early termination fee charged by other carriers. According to the press release: “Instead of a ‘two-year sentence’ for wireless service, consumers face a different two-year ‘sentence’ to avoid a lump-sum balloon payment for the phone.”
    As part of the settlement, T-Mobile agreed to change the way it advertises the plan, to contact customers who purchased phones under the plan and advise them of their right to cancel and get a refund, and to pay attorney’s fees and costs.
    This settlement serves another reminder that companies need to clearly and conspicuously disclose the material terms of their offers. You can’t just highlight the benefits of a product or service, and bury the costs and restrictions in the fine print.
    iPhone 5s-Verizon
    Moto X Verizon
    Nexus 7 2013
    Nexus 10
    iPad Air-Verizon

Quote Originally Posted by snookasnoo View Post
    T-Mobile does have contracts and have been told they can no longer claim they don't. If you have to pay x amount of dollars every month for a phone or else pay the remainder if you leave that's a contract.

Washington Attorney General settles with T-Mobile over ad claims
    The Washington Attorney General recently announced a court-ordered agreement with T-Mobile over the company’s new advertising campaign. T-Mobile has been promoting a new service plan that offers “no restrictions,” “no annual contract,” and no requirement that customers “serve a two-year sentence.” The plan, however, does not include a phone. Instead, T-Mobile offers consumers an option to purchase a phone at a monthly rate over a two-year term. (They also offer other phone options.) Consumers who purchase a phone must pay the full cost of the phone if they cancel before the end of the two-year period.
    The Attorney General alleged that T-Mobile misled consumers by advertising the absence of restrictions, an “annual contract,” and a “two-year sentence,” without adequately disclosing that customers who terminate their service before a device is paid off will have to pay the balance due on the phone upon cancellation. In some cases, the cost is higher than the early termination fee charged by other carriers. According to the press release: “Instead of a ‘two-year sentence’ for wireless service, consumers face a different two-year ‘sentence’ to avoid a lump-sum balloon payment for the phone.”
    As part of the settlement, T-Mobile agreed to change the way it advertises the plan, to contact customers who purchased phones under the plan and advise them of their right to cancel and get a refund, and to pay attorney’s fees and costs.
    This settlement serves another reminder that companies need to clearly and conspicuously disclose the material terms of their offers. You can’t just highlight the benefits of a product or service, and bury the costs and restrictions in the fine print.
    Pretty sure everyone in the world understood that T-Mobile meant that you were no longer bound by contract to use their mobile services for an extended period of time

Thanked by 3:
    sos710m likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gone down south View Post
    Pretty sure everyone in the world understood that T-Mobile meant that you were no longer bound by contract to use their mobile services for an extended period of time

That's right. No matter what plan you choose or what phone you choose to use on their network, financed or not, you can cancel at anytime. T-Mobile was just tole to be more specific because some clueless people sometimes don't understand what that means.

>>>

Quote Originally Posted by Mellimel22 View Post
    Salesman bs. They are the same phone.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.2 using Tapatalk 2
    Quote Originally Posted by NexusGirlX View Post
    An excellent example of a clueless employee.
    Actually, there may be SOME truth to it. Obviously, they are the same phone, but T-mobile DOES do some sneaky stuff. For example, I am currently using an unlocked HTC that I got whilst living in Europe. I got 3G when I was abroad but never on the T-Mobile network in the US..only EDGE (2G) at best...

Quote Originally Posted by Milindian View Post
    Actually, there may be SOME truth to it. Obviously, they are the same phone, but T-mobile DOES do some sneaky stuff. For example, I am currently using an unlocked HTC that I got whilst living in Europe. I got 3G when I was abroad but never on the T-Mobile network in the US..only EDGE (2G) at best...
    That probably has more to do with the frequencies on the phone's 3G/H+ radio. In most markets, T-Mo is still using the 1700 MHz band for H+ and the majority of phones lack that frequency. The N4 from Play does have 1700 on the pentaband 3G radio. I'm using a Google Play purchased N4 on T-Mo and I have H+ with no complaints about data speed. Out of the 7 phones I currently own, only two have the 1700 MHz band. Both of those get H+ using my T-Mo SIM: Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 4. The other 5 have no 1700 band on board and only get EDGE: Motorola BackFlip, AT&T iPhone 3GS, Nokia E5-00, Palm Pre 2 and HP Veer. All of these phones are carrier unlocked and will accept any SIM... It's the radio that makes the difference. Once T-Mo finishes their refarm and shifts H+ to the 1900 MHz band they will probably get more aggressive about Bring Your Own Phone. Up till now the frequency they use has hampered that.
    Nokia Lumia 925: T-Mo Branded Windows Phone 8 Amber
    LG Nexus 4: Ubuntu Touch Pre-release Ubuntu-System Beta
    Asus Nexus 7: Pure Google Jelly Bean 4.3
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus: Open webOS Alpha 2
    Thanked by:
    Biggnaa20 likes this.

Global Posts
    11,757 Global Posts
    ROM
    GS3: CleanROM / N4: AOKP

The salesman was incorrect. I have a Nexus 4 purchased from Google and use it with T-Mobile. It works fine with their HSPA+ network (what TMO markets as their 4G network).

While some unlocked GSM phones are not compatible with T-Mobile's 3G/4G service, the Nexus 4 supports the required frequencies.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

We currently have the old flip phones with prepaid plans on ATT & Verizon. We would like to switch to Nexus 4. We have a Nexus 10 tablet and like it so we are thinking that Nexus 4 would sync without problems--we hope. Looks like Google Play has the best price for Nexus 4's at $349. We do not have any T Mobile stores here although Walmart and Office Depot are shown as retail outlets. If we buy the Nexus 4's from Google, what do we have to do to the phones to get them to work on a T-Mobile monthly plan?

Also, will we be able to sync our Google calendar to our phones, PC's, and Tablet? Thanks for any ideas, comments, etc..

Quote Originally Posted by olgeezer44 View Post
    We currently have the old flip phones with prepaid plans on ATT & Verizon. We would like to switch to Nexus 4. We have a Nexus 10 tablet and like it so we are thinking that Nexus 4 would sync without problems--we hope. Looks like Google Play has the best price for Nexus 4's at $349. We do not have any T Mobile stores here although Walmart and Office Depot are shown as retail outlets. If we buy the Nexus 4's from Google, what do we have to do to the phones to get them to work on a T-Mobile monthly plan?

Also, will we be able to sync our Google calendar to our phones, PC's, and Tablet? Thanks for any ideas, comments, etc..
    just go to ATT store and get the micro SIM from ATT and ask them to activate it.
    insert the sim on your N4.

btw, verizon wont work with N4.

and Yes, your Google calendar will be synced to your phones
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by olgeezer44 View Post

You could get a Micro-SIM from T-Mo online...
    Nokia Lumia 925: T-Mo Branded Windows Phone 8 Amber
    LG Nexus 4: Ubuntu Touch Pre-release Ubuntu-System Beta
    Asus Nexus 7: Pure Google Jelly Bean 4.3
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus: Open webOS Alpha 2
    Thanked by:

ROM
    Perma-rooted and unlocked

Quote Originally Posted by mcshaggin View Post
    Is there any benefit either way of purchasing the Nexus 4 through Tmobile or through Google play directly? It's more expensive to go through tmobile. Any more or less bloatware? Maybe wifi calling not available through google? Not really into paying extra to get one branded with a tmobile logo if it's no different otherwise.
    Yes, it is more expensive through T-Mobile. But not by a lot ($427 at T-Mobile Vs $387 at Play).

T-Mobile will finance you on it (and it is 0% interest, though the total cost is more). Google Play will not.

No branding. No Bloatware. My Nexus was T-Mobile free. T-Mobile does appear as the carrier on the bottom of the notification bar, but thats it.
    RumoredNow likes this.
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast