Nexus turns off while charging overnight

eronfaure

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
There have been a few posts about this issue but there is no clear, consolidated thread to talk about it. I'd like to start one where people have found their solutions to this problem.

I am 4.2.2., Action Launcher Pro, not rooted, using OEM charger and USB cable. I charge my phone overnight and rely on its alarm. I have had the phone since February and it has been running okay until 3 weeks ago when the phone is completely off after charging it overnight. When I try to wake the screen, I get a battery charging icon. I have to hold the power button for about 10 seconds to wake the phone up. When it does wake up, the phone is fully charged. No alarms/phone calls/notifications work when the phone is off in this state. This seems to only happen randomly.

Interestingly, last night I left the phone unplugged overnight because my battery was at 90ish%. I woke up this morning to find the phone completely off, requiring a 10 second push of the power button, and found the phone to have 8% battery remaining. WTF.

What have you done to solve this issue? I've spent hours on forums and Google searches and haven't found anyone with a fix. I hate to give my phone up but if I can't rely on it then it needs to go. :'(

Thanks!

acejmk

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Well the last two nights same thing has happened to me phone was on 20 % ish so I charged it woke up in the morning and my phone was off!
It took a press of around 10 seconds of the power button to come back on both times.
Now this phone is just over a week old and is a replacement for a nexus I got in December which had a broken ear piece I only hope this phone doesn't need to go back a faulty.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like you have something eating your battery. Go to Settings -> Battery and see if anything jumps out at you.

andr0idralphie

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I could be wrong but for the time needed holding the power button to get the phone on?that forces a restart?something you have installed may be eating battery and crashing your phone. The ONLY thing that ever froze up my N4 has been PikPok's Into The Dead?damn thing hard froze my phone.

eronfaure

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your posts, guys. I'm going to RMA my device and see if it happens again. I hope my phone now was just part of a ****ty bunch of phones made and that the new one will be okay.

caperailfan

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
I just followed through with the RMA process for my device. It seems to shut itself off at random times, not when charging that I know of. Then when I try to turn it back on, holding the power button down does nothing. Then if I wait a few moments and hold the power button down once again it usually turns on. I'm not sure why it happens because it doesn't get hot and usually shuts off while idle and data is off. Some far each time that this has happened to me, the battery has been over 50% charged. Although a week or so ago when I plugged it into the charger the LED began flashing red for a few minutes, which usually indicates that the battery is dead or there is a problem with the device. I have reset it to the factory default settings a few times without any luck. Replacement appears to be working fine, I've only had it for 24 hours though.

Last edited:

Tall Mike 2145

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Why would you RMA your phone before you nuke-n-pave it first? After all, you really don't know if it's hardware or software until you've restored the phone to an OOB state and observed its behavior.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Unknown