Why is google maps being super active?

justlaxin13

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
So I've had this problem a few times actually. I keep fairly close track of battery life and usage. For the past like 3 days google maps has been at the top of the drains at like 30+ % each day. I have not used google maps actively at all over the past 3 days, gps is turned off. While I do use google now occasionally, my usage has not changed recently to cause this. Even when I force stop google maps from the battery stats area, it comes right back a few minutes later.

This has happened to me before at least once, since then I have unlocked, rooted and flashed CM10.1, if that matters, it obviously didn't stop this from happening again. I'm wondering if anyone else is having this? Any way to stop it? Thanks

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Check the Location settings options in the Maps app. If Report from this device, Enable location sharing, or either of the Check-ins options are checked they'll use a lot of battery. Enable location history isn't as bad, but seems to keep the phone awake a lot more.

If that's not it, check to see if gsiff_daemon is running out of control. See post 3 in this thread (but then go back and read post 1, too): http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...android-system-eating-your-battery-check.html

justlaxin13

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the answers. My short term solution was, whenever I noticed days where maps was going nuts, id uninstall it and reinstall it. The weird thing is that I always have all the reporting and tracking things checked (except for GPS) and yet, it doesn't always show up as a huge battery drain like this. Also...apparently now you can't uninstall google maps? just tried and there was no option to do so either from the Play Store or from the apps menu option...

wunderbar

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
if your device has come with google maps (as the vast majority of devices do), you can't uninstall it. you can remove the updates, or disable it if you're on 4.x +, but you can't remove it unless you're rooted.

justlaxin13

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
Here's the weird thing about that: I have a nexus 4, i don't recall whether or not it came with maps installed or not but i was able to use the unistall-reinstall move as recently as like 4 days ago. The only thing that's changed is that I updated the CM 10.1 nightly i was running, and did a factory reset (and reinstalled all my apps from the play store). So maybe google changed the uninstall options on their end.

wunderbar

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
well yea, you're not on the stock rom. When I said you can't uninstall it unless you're rooted I thought ROM'ed was also implied.

justlaxin13

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
Ok, so here's some screen shots that depict kinda what's happening. I just want to figure out why and how to stop it. Of note: it has not always been this way. I've been on android for 3+ years now over a span of phones, always had maps installed and always had location access on and gps off on a daily basis. Never really encountered this kinda runaway battery usage, especially given, as you can see, all the location access is turned off.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-05-05-20-10-12.png
    Screenshot_2013-05-05-20-10-12.png
    168.7 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_2013-05-05-20-10-20.png
    Screenshot_2013-05-05-20-10-20.png
    125.8 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_2013-05-05-20-10-30.png
    Screenshot_2013-05-05-20-10-30.png
    117.5 KB · Views: 15

Ice Phrozen

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
You can try taking a look at your location settings in Maps. Mine are on, but don't seem to have the issues you're having.

Screenshot_2013-05-05-19-38-52.png

justlaxin13

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, yeah, i went into the maps settings and made sure everything was unchecked. Almost the most concerning thing for me in those screen shots is that it says the GPS is on the entire time the phone was...despite the location settings saying quite the opposite.