1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Why is google maps being super active?

So I've had this problem a few times actually. I keep fairly close track of battery life and usage. For the past like 3 days google maps has been at the top of the drains at like 30+ % each day. I have not used google maps actively at all over the past 3 days, gps is turned off. While I do use google now occasionally, my usage has not changed recently to cause this. Even when I force stop google maps from the battery stats area, it comes right back a few minutes later.

This has happened to me before at least once, since then I have unlocked, rooted and flashed CM10.1, if that matters, it obviously didn't stop this from happening again. I'm wondering if anyone else is having this? Any way to stop it? Thanks

Default Re: Why is google maps being super active?

Check the Location settings options in the Maps app. If Report from this device, Enable location sharing, or either of the Check-ins options are checked they'll use a lot of battery. Enable location history isn't as bad, but seems to keep the phone awake a lot more.

If that's not it, check to see if gsiff_daemon is running out of control. See post 3 in this thread (but then go back and read post 1, too): Android System eating your battery? Check this.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3

in the maps location settings uncheck "Report from this device"
    that would reduce the battery use from 30 to about 7%
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Thanks for the answers. My short term solution was, whenever I noticed days where maps was going nuts, id uninstall it and reinstall it. The weird thing is that I always have all the reporting and tracking things checked (except for GPS) and yet, it doesn't always show up as a huge battery drain like this. Also...apparently now you can't uninstall google maps? just tried and there was no option to do so either from the Play Store or from the apps menu option...

if your device has come with google maps (as the vast majority of devices do), you can't uninstall it. you can remove the updates, or disable it if you're on 4.x +, but you can't remove it unless you're rooted.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Here's the weird thing about that: I have a nexus 4, i don't recall whether or not it came with maps installed or not but i was able to use the unistall-reinstall move as recently as like 4 days ago. The only thing that's changed is that I updated the CM 10.1 nightly i was running, and did a factory reset (and reinstalled all my apps from the play store). So maybe google changed the uninstall options on their end.

well yea, you're not on the stock rom. When I said you can't uninstall it unless you're rooted I thought ROM'ed was also implied.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Ok, so here's some screen shots that depict kinda what's happening. I just want to figure out why and how to stop it. Of note: it has not always been this way. I've been on android for 3+ years now over a span of phones, always had maps installed and always had location access on and gps off on a daily basis. Never really encountered this kinda runaway battery usage, especially given, as you can see, all the location access is turned off.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Why is google maps being super active?-screenshot_2013-05-05-20-10-12.png   Why is google maps being super active?-screenshot_2013-05-05-20-10-20.png   Why is google maps being super active?-screenshot_2013-05-05-20-10-30.png  

You can try taking a look at your location settings in Maps. Mine are on, but don't seem to have the issues you're having.

10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Thanks, yeah, i went into the maps settings and made sure everything was unchecked. Almost the most concerning thing for me in those screen shots is that it says the GPS is on the entire time the phone was...despite the location settings saying quite the opposite.