Getting voice recognition to recognize different language other than the original English

Double Tap

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
I use Swiftkey and standard Android keyboard, no matter what I do I can't get the voice recognition to switch to Spanish.
I have downloaded the language packs and played with the menus but when I press the microphone the Google voice to text always come up as English.
I want to be able to switch back and forth depending upon who I am texting or emailing.

Is this a problem that has a solution or am I stuck with the English?

Double Tap

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
I use Swiftkey and standard Android keyboard, no matter what I do I can't get the voice recognition to switch to Spanish.
I have downloaded the language packs and played with the menus but when I press the microphone the Google voice to text always come up as English.
I want to be able to switch back and forth depending upon who I am texting or emailing.

Yikes 144 views and no one has an answer> Guess I gust might have to call Google CS and hope for the best :)

Tabs85

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site

When the voice option is open and where it says "English", cant you just click on english and change it?

Rizy7

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
No, It only shows English

If you go to settings, language and input, voice typing settings. You should see that it is set to automatic. In theory this should work well when you are voice typing but it does not really. So uncheck automatic and then check the languages you want to use. When you voice type you will be able to select which language you want to use.

Double Tap

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
If you go to settings, language and input, voice typing settings. You should see that it is set to automatic. In theory this should work well when you are voice typing but it does not really. So uncheck automatic and then check the languages you want to use. When you voice type you will be able to select which language you want to use.

That did the trick !

koenahn

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm dealing with a similar issue. Whenever I switch to 'google voice typing' as keyboard input, the language is set to English. I can change it to Dutch (which I use most frequently), but the default is English. On top of that, whenever I switch back to the 'normal' keyboard, that keyboard's spell checker language is also set back to the default English.

Is there a way to make it remember what language was last used, of maybe make it conversation-dependent? Switching back to my native language constantly is quite a fuss...

Juraj Bednar

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
I also want to use two languages and change the default to different language than english. Voice typing is useful when I can't easily type and clicking on language and changing it usually means I may as well type it instead of doing the voice input.

Grite

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site
Hi, I had the same problem and here is how I fixed it on my Android phone (Sony Xperia z3+):
- Settings > Language & Input > Google Voice Typing
then click on Language and you can input several languages. My phone now recognizes dictations in English and in French.
Hope that works for you!

RustyStein

Mar 21, 2016
Visit site
Yes, I can select as many languages as I want to. But it doesn't recognize well like when I only choose one language. Is there a way to quickly switch between the two languages I have chosen.

ze tov

Apr 27, 2016
Visit site
Yikes 144 views and no one has an answer> Guess I gust might have to call Google CS and hope for the best :)
Its used to be quiet well on my galaxy s4 but now on the note 4 it has some problems with multiply language voice recognition, one galaxy s4 its used to speech instantly even in the body of a oen message from language to language even few of them, but now even am check by voice typing few languages its basically type only default language. So you have to check manually everytime default language to be able to type on it.

Minoy

Dec 11, 2016
Visit site
It is terrible and frustrating and I just feel like throwing the phone against the wall. I tried everything but it switch from Spanish to English in the middle of the conversation. Automatic recognizion does not recognize anything and I can't change to manual. Ah, and the voice command does not work in the car with bluetooth. I miss my IPhone.

Yan Sanchez

Jan 12, 2019
Visit site
Google voice typing is set to automatic so it should change depending on what language you are speaking.

In theory, but it does not work, every now and never it actually pick the right language, but it just doesn't work, and I comfortably speak the langues I'm trying to use for voice typing as I grew up speaking them all, so it's not just a bad accent thing, which is really annoying. Would be great if you could just select the langue out a simple list like I used to be able to on iPhone, but with this I can only select "voice typing", and have to go into settings, scroll through all the damn langues to find the one I want to set it to...what the damn hell, just this is enough to make me want to fix my old ****ty iPhone n get back to the good old days of this working sensibly.
I hope I'm just being retarded and just haven't learner the ways yet, but from the looks of this thread it seems not...

Yan Sanchez

Jan 12, 2019
Visit site
It is terrible and frustrating and I just feel like throwing the phone against the wall. I tried everything but it switch from Spanish to English in the middle of the conversation. Automatic recognizion does not recognize anything and I can't change to manual. Ah, and the voice command does not work in the car with bluetooth. I miss my IPhone.

I swear I'm gonna have my old phone fixed over this shiz alone...even Google assistant is basically full Rtard. Which is weird, cause I thought siri and the iPhone voice typing were based on Google. Why is this platform so broken???
I'm supposed to have a better phone now, much much better according to specs...I was never a cheesy fanboy until now...and I don't like it

make-it-work

Feb 13, 2019
Visit site
(i) They CAN provide that feature, and (ii) there ARE temporary fixes

YES! Same problem here. Extremely frustrating. But there are short-term solutions.

The first thing to understand is that for the developper, it is possible to provide manual language selection in Google Voice Typing. For instance, the Reverso translation app correctly sets Google Voice Typing to the correct language, and some other keyboards let you select the language.

My temporary fix is to use the keyboard icon at the bottom right of Swiftkeys to switch between my usual keyboard (Gboard or Swiftkeys) and Speechkeys, which is not great but *does* let you select the input language for Google Voice Typing. It's not an ideal keyboard as when you switch it shows you a long list of languages instead of your favorites — so I'm hoping that Swiftkeys adds a setting, and lets you select just from your installed languages instead of a huge list.

My second recommendation to everyone here is to go leave Swiftkey app feedback on the Google Play store, requesting that feature. With enough of the same requests, they will pay attention. We need to request a setting in the application, a setting that lets us turn off automatic language detection, and a button to select the voice typing language.

If anyone knows other voice keyboards that let you select the input language, please share here.

Alexandre Oberlin

Apr 1, 2020
Visit site
Hacker's keyboard definitely does the trick on Android 9 at least.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200401-164929.png
    Screenshot_20200401-164929.png
    32.9 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20200401-165017.png
    Screenshot_20200401-165017.png
    42.4 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20200401-165131.png
    Screenshot_20200401-165131.png
    51.5 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20200401-165212.png
    Screenshot_20200401-165212.png