Youtube Vieo streaming over WIFI slower compared to HSPA+

yubeie

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
I've noticed on my Nexus 4 that Youtube buffering is slower on WIFI compared to HSPA+ (I am on ATT postpaid 3GB plan). Strangely, I do not see this issue with any other app like dailymotion, TED conference app etc.

Would anyone please confirm if this is expected perhaps due to bad app optimization???

P.S: I have the option to optimize connection, under WIFI settings unchecked.

Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

oops! noticed a typo in the thread title..admins please fix it :-(

thx!

andr0idralphie

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm on T-Mobile Unlimited Data, I've noticed this as well. There doesn't seem to be any option to optimize the buffering, I can only imagine that the YouTube app would be buffering more via WiFi but it doesn't do it well. There aren't many settings available for the YouTube app, unfortunately, besides whether to display in HQ/HD or not.

Videos play fairly quickly via Chrome and Chrome Beta on HSPA+ and WiFi but they appear to default to a lower quality, which is still good quality.

swipper_74

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Not alone..same thing for me. Youtube app buffers constantly on Wifi, but no other video apps (Dailymotion, Revision3, etc) buffer the way that the youtube app does. If you look at the reviews on the Play store, you will see that a LOT of other people are having the same issue. I have not tried it, but I have read where if you go to the mobile site, it works fine.. My thoughts are that the app is still a "work in progress" and that there is an obvious bug with it.

swipper_74

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
While there is not specifically an option for buffering within the YouTube app, there is a "Wi-Fi Optimization" option which "Minimize battery usage when Wi-Fi is on" (directly from the Nexus 4 description). I tried to turn this option off once, but didn't seem to do any good. I tried again today turning it off, but this time I rebooted the Nexus (don't think I did that on the previous attempt) and YouTube seems to be working just fine now! Time will tell and I'll keep testing it to make sure. If anyone else wants to give it a try, the option is located at:

Main Menu - Settings - WiFi - Menu Options (lower right corner 3 dots) - Advanced - Wifi Optimization

Don't forget to reboot....curious as to what others find out or think.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante