Nexus 4 screen cracks - defective - Google and LG do not take responsibility

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I can concur that the back of the Nexus 4 is a bit slippery, I have a video of it sliding on a table like an air hockey puck. I suspect it's because the side rubber of the N4 doesn't extend over the back glass, just as the bezel on the front is pulled back from the curved glass edges at each side. Matias D. designed this thing to have a certain look and feel. Sliding around on the back probably wasn't a use case they took into account. Derp.

For that reason, and others, I bought a Poetic Palette back cover, which enhances the "grippy" surface of the side and back, makes the phone completely logo-free (no Hanna Montana sparkles, no Nexus logo, no LG logo ... spy phone!). I also use a folio case when I'm throwing the phone in a bag.

I'm a little perplexed that so many people think that as phones become thinner, lighter, more sophisticated, more expensive, that they can still just toss them on a table, leave them in a back pocket, etc. My HTC Amaze is rather chunky, and has some metal in the case, but I still put a D30 bumper case on it. These things are sliver-thin, and fragile, so I treat them as such. Those who don't take some precautions to protect such a device, um, probably shouldn't bawl loudly about how the drop to the floor or being under one's **** as s/he got in the car smashed it and ruined it. Is it the manufacturer's fault this thing isn't ruggedized like a Toughbook? No. They made a jewel-like, attractive device to compete with the iPhones (also fragile and subject to damage if abused IIRC). A buyer who can't ensure they protect the device should get something tougher, or cheaper.

Just my two cents. FYI, I've had my N4 for 3-4 months, it's been in pockets all the time, it's been in and out of the pockets at stores, set down on counters, set on my desk, set on my kitchen table, and aside from the intentional video in which I scored a goal with it across the table, it shows no outward damage. I don't think I'm special. I don't think I'm unusual. I think I just take reasonable care of my possessions. (shrug)

[Heed the moderator's warnings, folks! The mother of a two year old is not going to have the patience to put up with childish adults on the interwebs! :D ]

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
My Nexus 4 goes in and out of my front pocket every day and I often sit it on my bed. There have been probably 50 times when it slid off onto the carpeted floor and has been OK every time. It's just about four months now of using this phone caseless and will remain caseless.

CoMoNexus

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
I'm a little perplexed that so many people think that as phones become thinner, lighter, more sophisticated, more expensive, that they can still just toss them on a table, leave them in a back pocket, etc.

Right, but they do, and that's a market opportunity for a handset OEM that can offer a ruggedized smartphone that doesn't look like a Nextel castoff. If Steve Jobs were still alive, I could imagine him showing off the latest iPhone and at the end of his presentation, throwing it to the floor to show that an unexpected feature is its durability.

Captainbob767

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Right, but they do, and that's a market opportunity for a handset OEM that can offer a ruggedized smartphone that doesn't look like a Nextel castoff. If Steve Jobs were still alive, I could imagine him showing off the latest iPhone and at the end of his presentation, throwing it to the floor to show that an unexpected feature is its durability.

It would have to be made out of some really tough plastic, and I can hear the screams now from people saying that it looks cheap and ugly and they would much rather have a phone made of glass.

Captainbob767

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Or some next-gen glass that no one outside of the industry has heard of. The formula for Gorilla Glass sat in Corning's vaults for decades until someone found a market for it. Who knows what else it has?

They could make it out of the glass they use in aircraft for the windshields. Of course, the phone would probably weigh about 1 1/2 pounds and be an inch thick, but it wouldn't break. ;)

CoMoNexus

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
They could make it out of the glass they use in aircraft for the windshields. Of course, the phone would probably weigh about 1 1/2 pounds and be an inch thick, but it wouldn't break. ;)

That sounds like a great solution for the enterprise market, where it's like it or lump it for those that don't have a BYOD policy. Kinda like those army-issue "birth control" glasses.

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
It would have to be made out of some really tough plastic, and I can hear the screams now from people saying that it looks cheap and ugly and they would much rather have a phone made of glass.

Of all the phones I have seen that are cracked/shattered, it is the screen that is such. Making the screen out of plastic would be a really bad idea. Over time plastic looses it's clarity, especially the more it is exposed to sunlight, and also scratches much easier.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

RenoD2010

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I think the only claims Corning makes about Gorilla Glass is that it is LESS prone to SCRATCHES than traditional glass. I'm pretty sure it does not claim it is shatter proof and immune to impact.

For over two years, I took my HTC Inspire everywhere and only dropped it (out of the case) once. Luckily, it had an aluminum uni-body and landed on its corner. Point being: I took care of my phone. That one time I did drop it, it was on pavement. Had it landed on its screen, I'm sure it would have cracked and I would have blamed no one but myself.

From my LG Optimus G E970

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
I think the only claims Corning makes about Gorilla Glass is that it is LESS prone to SCRATCHES than traditional glass. I'm pretty sure it does not claim it is shatter proof and immune to impact.

For over two years, I took my HTC Inspire everywhere and only dropped it (out of the case) once. Luckily, it had an aluminum uni-body and landed on its corner. Point being: I took care of my phone. That one time I did drop it, it was on pavement. Had it landed on its screen, I'm sure it would have cracked and I would have blamed no one but myself.

From my LG Optimus G E970

I used my Inspire for exactly three years. I just gave it to my son yesterday. It doesn't have a single scratch on the screen. It had it's own dedicated front pocket and I was always very careful with it. My wife used hers for over two years. One of the daughters has it now. No scratches on it.

Laura Dorothie

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Same thing happened to me, and it was in a case! It fell out of my pocket. Thankfully I just bought it 18 days ago, which means I am headed into the store to get a new one now and I am going to otterbox the **** out of it. I have had a number of smart phones, this is the only one that has ever cracked, and i have 2.5 yr old that loves to throw phones! so a simple fall from a pocket while in a case should have not lead to a complete screen crack! I hope you can get it fixed (costs about 150bucks)

RenoD2010

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I used my Inspire for exactly three years. I just gave it to my son yesterday. It doesn't have a single scratch on the screen. It had it's own dedicated front pocket and I was always very careful with it. My wife used hers for over two years. One of the daughters has it now. No scratches on it.

Huge smile on my face. MY phone had its own dedicated front pocket (no keys or loose change allowed). I was short on cash, so, sadly, I traded my Inspire in for this phone. I should buy a used one one mint condition for nostalgia's sake and then root the thing.

Sent from my LG-E970 using AC Forums mobile app

RenoD2010

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
For the record:

I am writing this on my new LG Optimus G which is basically the non-stock version of the N4. Same glass front and back; same kind of glass

This past weekend I was pulling my three year old out of an inflatable bouncy house and slipped. I fell backwards with him in my arms. This phone was in my pocket. It should have gone CRUNCH. It did not. Just now I pulled it out of its case. Both front and back are pristine without the slightest indication that the integrity of the GG2 had been compromised.

You should still feel bad for me: I got a nasty rug burn on my elbow :(

Sent from my LG-E970 using AC Forums mobile app

kathryn thompson237

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
my 3 year old dropped my nexus from about 1 foot and shattered the screen after only one week of owning it. I was able to claim it on my insurance for the 150$ deductible. Then after I got my second nexus it fell from my hoodie pocket and I tried to stop the fall and hit the ground so softly and the back of the screen broke so thats when I decided to get a cover :(

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
So it's been since early February and mine still remains uncracked. I use no case and haven't since day one. It goes in my pocket and has even been bumped while in there by my car door getting out.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma