Nexus 4 screen cracks - defective - Google and LG do not take responsibility

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
It's not unbreakable, it's scratch resistant.

Yes, I would agree that it's not unbreakable. I would further qualify its scratch resistance by saying that it prevents scratches from things like keys rubbing against the screen when the phone is in your pocket. However, it probably won't do anything for sand particles. Those can still scratch the screen.

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I would think this would depend on the screen size and the build of the phone.

You can use the Nexus 4 as an example. Its screen is 4.7 inches. Both the front and back are glass, but only the front has Gorilla Glass 2.

We both agree that accidental drops can happen. Let's look at a scenario where a person is speaking to someone on the phone while out in the city. When holding the phone next to the person's ear, the Nexus 4 is 6 feet above pavement. Someone bumps into the caller by accident, the caller drops the phone, and the phone hits the pavement. Will the Nexus 4 break?

I would say yes, the Nexus 4 will break. I don't know the extent of the damage, but I think the combination of a 6-foot fall onto pavement spells disaster. I wouldn't be surprised if either the front or back gets a huge spider-web of cracks. Would you agree?

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
You can use the Nexus 4 as an example. Its screen is 4.7 inches. Both the front and back are glass, but only the front has Gorilla Glass 2.

We both agree that accidental drops can happen. Let's look at a scenario where a person is speaking to someone on the phone while out in the city. When holding the phone next to the person's ear, the Nexus 4 is 6 feet above pavement. Someone bumps into the caller by accident, the caller drops the phone, and the phone hits the pavement. Will the Nexus 4 break?

I would say yes, the Nexus 4 will break. I don't know the extent of the damage, but I think the combination of a 6-foot fall onto pavement spells disaster. I wouldn't be surprised if either the front or back gets a huge spider-web of cracks. Would you agree?

Without any protection on it? From six foot to the pavement, that would be almost guaranteed. With protection it is still a possibility, but how it lands would be a factor. I have dropped mine three times from 3-4 feet to concrete. Without my bumper, I feel that I wouldn't have been so fortunate every time.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Without any protection on it? From six foot to the pavement, that would be almost guaranteed. With protection it is still a possibility, but how it lands would be a factor. I have dropped mine three times from 3-4 feet to concrete. Without my bumper, I feel that I wouldn't have been so fortunate every time.

Yes, I meant a Nexus 4 without any protection. (Thanks for pointing that out!) So we agree that a 6-foot drop onto pavement will break a Nexus 4, probably with severe damage as a result.

Let's look at another scenario. The Nexus 4 in question does not have any protection.

A person is using their Nexus 4 as an alarm clock. The Nexus 4 is located on a nightstand that is 2 feet high. When the alarm rings, the person tries to hit the snooze button, but accidentally knocks the Nexus 4 off the nightstand. The Nexus 4 falls 2 feet onto a carpet. Do you expect the Nexus 4 to break?

In my opinion, the Nexus 4 could still break, but the damage would not be as severe as the scenario involving pavement. This is because carpet has a cushioning effect. The thicker the carpet, the more cushioning. Also, the fall is much shorter (2 feet versus 6 feet). So I would expect maybe a crack, most likely on the back. However, I would not expect a spider-web of cracks on the back. For the front, you may get a small crack, too. If you're lucky, the carpet will absorb most of the shock, and you may even have an undamaged Nexus 4.

To summarize, for a 2-foot fall onto carpet, I would expect:
- Possible damage to the back, but not as bad as a fall onto pavement
- Slight damage to the front if the carpet is thin, and maybe no damage to the front if the carpet it thick

Do these expectations seems reasonable?

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I meant a Nexus 4 without any protection. (Thanks for pointing that out!) So we agree that a 6-foot drop onto pavement will break a Nexus 4, probably with severe damage as a result.

Let's look at another scenario. The Nexus 4 in question does not have any protection.

A person is using their Nexus 4 as an alarm clock. The Nexus 4 is located on a nightstand that is 2 feet high. When the alarm rings, the person tries to hit the snooze button, but accidentally knocks the Nexus 4 off the nightstand. The Nexus 4 falls 2 feet onto a carpet. Do you expect the Nexus 4 to break?

In my opinion, the Nexus 4 could still break, but the damage would not be as severe as the scenario involving pavement. This is because carpet has a cushioning effect. The thicker the carpet, the more cushioning. Also, the fall is much shorter (2 feet versus 6 feet). So I would expect maybe a crack, most likely on the back. However, I would not expect a spider-web of cracks on the back. For the front, you may get a small crack, too. If you're lucky, the carpet will absorb most of the shock, and you may even have an undamaged Nexus 4.

To summarize, for a 2-foot fall onto carpet, I would expect:
- Possible damage to the back, but not as bad as a fall onto pavement
- Slight damage to the front if the carpet is thin, and maybe no damage to the front if the carpet it thick

Do these expectations seems reasonable?

I would say that is reasonable, although I would consider the chances of damage reduced due to the shorter drop and the carpet on the floor. I'm not sure where you are going with all this but, it just seems common sense. If you are making a point of putting some protection on the N4, I would agree. Some prefer not to, but that is the risk they take.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

snowman2765

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I have owned my N4 since April. After purchasing it and after it sliding (yes, sliding) off my desk and falling about 30 inches to a hard laminate floor twice (no damage either time), I bought a Nillkin hard plastic snap on case for it as I was afraid of the lack of durability in the phone. I chose this case as it doesn't add much bulk to the phone and looks reasonably decent. Yesterday I was walking outside and wanted to make a call so I was removing the phone from my dedicated phone pocket when I lost my grip on the phone and dropped it to the concrete sidewalk. The case popped off on impact and my worst fears were realized. The screen cracked in the upper left corner rendering the phone useless. Should I contact Google and fight that their product is defective? Personally, I think not. It was obviously due to an accidental drop. Even though I had a case on it, accidents still do happen and I must take my lumps. I called around and I was quoted $225 CAD and 75 minutes for the repair with a 6 month warranty. For an extra $200 I could buy a brand new one, but I will still have it repaired. I guess my point is, "if you break it you've bought it", meaning- not their problem. And as an earlier poster had said, we all should just man up.

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
ekk unfortunately, my Nexus4 cracked last night after a 1ft fall.
Though it has been a week full of badluck ( dropping it consistantly ) and i'm not blaming anyone, but the only thing now is;
is it worth the repair or should i just get another phone :\
Half my screen doesnt work, and typing is just rediculously annoying, i have to keep rotating my phone back and forth.

I'm eyeing the new phones ( LGG2 ), but my life revolves around my phone (work, texting, calls,etc) daily.

Note - a repair would cost almost 200, which is pretty expensive.

Jared Fremlin

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Same thing happened to me, after having the phone for a WEEK!!!

And to be honest, the comments on here REALLY pissed me off!

Do you guys not understand that these "mobile" devices are made to break on purpose? Why else would you make it out of glass?? Then require the purchase of a 50$ case..

Sorry, but am I crazy to think that a "mobile" device should be able to go mobile without a case and not shatter? I am so pissed off with this LG phone and it's shattered back/front, when there is no need for glass to be used!!!

Captainbob767

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site

Do you guys not understand that these "mobile" devices are made to break on purpose? Why else would you make it out of glass?? Then require the purchase of a 50$ case..

Sorry, but am I crazy to think that a "mobile" device should be able to go mobile without a case and not shatter? I am so pissed off with this LG phone and it's shattered back/front, when there is no need for glass to be used!!!

What you need is a phone with a stainless steel front , back and sides. It could be called the "clumsy" model.....

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

So from what height did you drop you phone? You as the owner bear responsibility if you drop it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

5L Mustang

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
I was so paranoid about dropping mine from reading this thread when it first started that every time it fell I thought for sure it would be broken or cracked. I am a very busy always in a rush kind of guy with to many things in my hands and have dropped my phone about 15-20 times from holding it between my shoulder and my ear so my hands are free. Low and behold my phone has no cracks and I'm 5'11.5" tall. I have a case on mine though so maybe that's why? There is no way mine would crack or break from 2 ft. Onto carpet cause I've done it but probably from more like 3 ft. I feel really lucky mine is well built.

sent from Nexus 4 Posted via Android Central App

Beeboptreetop

Aug 31, 2013
Visit site
OK so the back of my phone just cracked whilst I was holding it in my hand. Didn't drop it or anything!?

Anything I can do to get a free replacement? Clearly the product is faulty.

Essenar

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
How will you prove that it didn't crack because of something you did? See the problem here?

Why are you so defensive of this phone's screen? I checked another topic about this because of this circumstance and low and behold, you were one of the most recent posters just to let everyone know that their phone isn't defective because yours isn't cracked. Do you work for Google? If not, what does it benefit you to run around and call people liars and accuse them of not furnishing proof?

You say that people can't prove that their screen didn't crack from personal action. What grounds do you have to make this accusation? I could easily say that you also have no proof that you've owned an N4 for six months without it cracking even when it spilled while you were getting your dog out of your car. Did you video tape it? Do you have pictures from before and after you got your dog out of your car? If not, how do we know you're telling the truth?

The worst thing to deal with, owning any Nexus device, is dealing with the unnecessary fanaticism that, if anything, prevents Google from being more accountable and making devices more sturdy in the future. You don't want an N5 that has maybe only 1-2% of users complaining about broken glass? You'd rather have the same one because you defended it so loyally?

Mine broke from less than a 3 feet spill onto carpet. I had it in my pocket while I was cleaning up the floor and it slipped out. It hit the carpet and I heard a weird thracking type of sound when it hit the ground. Now the bottom half is cracked and unresponsive. Now I have a $350 paper weight because it would cost me $140 to get the screen replaced.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Why are you so defensive of this phone's screen? I checked another topic about this because of this circumstance and low and behold, you were one of the most recent posters just to let everyone know that their phone isn't defective because yours isn't cracked. Do you work for Google? If not, what does it benefit you to run around and call people liars and accuse them of not furnishing proof?

You say that people can't prove that their screen didn't crack from personal action. What grounds do you have to make this accusation? I could easily say that you also have no proof that you've owned an N4 for six months without it cracking even when it spilled while you were getting your dog out of your car. Did you video tape it? Do you have pictures from before and after you got your dog out of your car? If not, how do we know you're telling the truth?

The worst thing to deal with, owning any Nexus device, is dealing with the unnecessary fanaticism that, if anything, prevents Google from being more accountable and making devices more sturdy in the future. You don't want an N5 that has maybe only 1-2% of users complaining about broken glass? You'd rather have the same one because you defended it so loyally?

Mine broke from less than a 3 feet spill onto carpet. I had it in my pocket while I was cleaning up the floor and it slipped out. It hit the carpet and I heard a weird thracking type of sound when it hit the ground. Now the bottom half is cracked and unresponsive. Now I have a $350 paper weight because it would cost me $140 to get the screen replaced.

I am not defensive over anything and in fact, I am more of an Apple fan these days since buying an iPad Mini.

I just simply posted that my Nexus 4 to this day after using it for six months with no case is still perfect. Does that make me a fanatic? Really? I have also never cracked the screen on an iPhone since owning every single one since 2007. I have dropped two of those and nether one cracked. One was dropped on a hard tiled floor at my job.

Again, how in the world does anyone think Google of LG would be insane enough to believe that a phone just cracked for no reason at all? I'm sure it can happen and I'm sure they know it can happen, but proving it is impossible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeneral2