16 gigs is just way too small, I don't want to put stuff on the cloud.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
If the laptop maker had the option of adding a hard drive for little or no money, and chose not to purely for ideological reasons, you might be more annoyed.

How much would it cost Google and LG to install a higher storage capacity component in the Nexus 4?

You consistently reference how inexpensive it would be, so I take it you have an exact figure from LG, yes?

And what did Google tell you their reasoning was for not utilizing a higher storage capacity component? You must know, given your harsh judgement of said reasoning.

I don't think you'll get over this topic until a one terabyte Nexus 17 debuts.

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Lets ask all the low end handset makers that have been doing it since 2009.

I asked you, specifically, what it would cost Google to commission LG to build a higher capacity Nexus 4. If you don't know, don't incessantly lecture how inexpensive it would be because you don't actually know, you're speculating.

Captainbob767

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
How much would it cost Google and LG to install a higher storage capacity component in the Nexus 4?

You consistently reference how inexpensive it would be, so I take it you have an exact figure from LG, yes?

And what did Google tell you their reasoning was for not utilizing a higher storage capacity component? You must know, given your harsh judgement of said reasoning.

I don't think you'll get over this topic until a one terabyte Nexus 17 debuts.

I'm betting he doesn't have a clue....:p

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Lets ask all the low end handset makers that have been doing it since 2009.

If you want low end, you should buy low end. In 2009, cloud storage was still in it's infancy. Technology moves us forward. The carriers may be behind, but eventually they will catch up and sd cards will be a thing of the past, even with the low end handset manufacturers.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
If you want low end, you should buy low end.
So you believe it is unreasonable to expect that high end devices will have the same features as low end ones. OK.

In 2009, cloud storage was still in it's infancy.
It still is. Anyone who thinks the cloud is reliable enough to replace local storage is living in a dream world.

Every single SD device out there also has access to the cloud as well. You do not have to surrender cloud access to have local storage.

Technology moves us forward.
And sometimes backward apparently.

The carriers may be behind, but eventually they will catch up
When they do, that will be the time to dump SD. We are clearly not there yet.

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site

What do those devices have to do with the LG Nexus 4? Were they manufactured together?

Maybe you didn't understand my first post, or the second, but I asked you, specifically, what it would cost for Google to commission LG to build a Nexus 4 with higher capacity storage components.

Do you know that answer, or do you not?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I asked you, specifically, what it would cost Google to commission LG to build a higher capacity Nexus 4. If you don't know, don't incessantly lecture how inexpensive it would be because you don't actually know, you're speculating.

This question is not answered by this:

I totally agree with you that it is prohibitively expensive. I admit I was wrong all along. I am clearly imagining all these cheap Android devices that have SD.

What it suggests is that because cheap phones have these features, that it is inexpensive to include them. That is a very different statement than, "Once the design and engineering is complete, okay now change the whole thing to have more space, here, here and here and do so without any additional weight, thickness or other changes to dimensions. Then, create an unknown quantify of these in case people want them, even though it's a wildly successful device that's already 8 months old."

Of course it's more expensive to re-engineer the device. If you notice, the $130 Precedent also comes with 2.2, a 3.2" screen with terrible resolution of 320x480, a 2MP camera (on the back, no front camera), and restricted access to the Play Store. That's the no compromise device you want to compare to the Nexus? Perhaps notice that it supports microSD but has less than .5GB internal storage. It does come with a 2GB SD card. In addition to it's single core 800MHz processor and half a gig of RAM, I'm not sure the low cost is only because of the storage options. It only works on one network and one specific plan on that network.

It'd be a sad day indeed if someone chose to spend $130 (it's on sale for $80 now) for that device when they could spend less than double that for a modern device that only has 14GB less possible storage and is vastly superior on every single other feature.

How many millions of dollars, specifically, does it cost to re-engineer the existing N4, refit assembly lines and create how many phones? How many would they sell now that it's 8 months old? What is their margin and does it justify the expense? Who knows? Who cares?

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Adding SD is clearly a very expensive process. That is why all the cheapest Android phones have SD...because it is a very expensive technology to add to a phone.

minnemike

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure if implemented early in the design process adding a SD slot would have been possible. BUt the fact of the matter is they designed this device to be cloud centric and purposely left it out. And that works out perfectly for me. So it seems they have designed this phone for me and not for you. In that regard, I am glad they did not design it with an SD card which might have made even more demand for this phone and clogged this forum with SD card centric thread topics which I do not care to read at all. :D

If I were you, I would sell this phone and buy a phone that seems to have been more designed for SD cards. Unless of course you prefer to be masochistic to yourself and take everyone else for the ride. :eek:

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Adding SD is clearly a very expensive process. That is why all the cheapest Android phones have SD...because it is a very expensive technology to add to a phone.

Expense is meaningless in that regard. Sure they can add SD inexpensively. The thing is, they don't want to. The operating system will run smoother reading from memory that is internal, rather than reading external memory from a separate drive. They don't have to worry about building the drive into the internals of the phone and then provide access to it. Same goes for removable batteries. They don't want a removable cover on the phone that has to slide or snap on and be color matched. The phone will look sleeker without it. Runs super smooth, looks super smooth. It is marketing. Good sales means they continue the trend. Bad sales means they abandon it. I'm thinking the customer base wants the sleeky smooth phone and the trend continues, at least for the higher end phones.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The question was disingenuous.

His implication is that if I do not know the exact dollar amount, that must mean that an SD slot is expensive to add. Do you agree with his reasoning?

On that point you're right, but you guys are talking about two different things. One is adding it like a module on existing design, the other is including it in the initial design. The latter is very cheap, your point I think, while the former is extremely expensive.

IIRC the price difference between a 32GB chip and a 16 is around $12. I have no idea what the size difference is or how much spare room there is inside the N4 for it.

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site

I'm sorry, but, for the third time, do you know the cost of adding a higher storage component to the Nexus 4?

If you do not, stop talking. Thanks.

Because you claimed how inexpensive it would have been for Google to commission LG to create a Nexus 4 with a higher capacity, when that is purely speculation and unfounded.

Buddy, you bought the wrong device and it's time you get past that haha.

You have 16GB of storage, time to face reality that it isn't changing. You're clueless, bud.

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
If Google wants the Nexus 4 to be cloud centric, do we even need a 16 GB model? An 8 GB model would be sufficient to utilize the cloud.

The Nexus 4 is based on the LG Optimus G, which has a micro SD card slot. It came out before the Nexus 4, so if Google wanted a micro SD card slot on the Nexus 4, they could have added one.

I'm sure if implemented early in the design process adding a SD slot would have been possible. BUt the fact of the matter is they designed this device to be cloud centric and purposely left it out. And that works out perfectly for me. So it seems they have designed this phone for me and not for you. In that regard, I am glad they did not design it with an SD card which might have made even more demand for this phone and clogged this forum with SD card centric thread topics which I do not care to read at all. :D

If I were you, I would sell this phone and buy a phone that seems to have been more designed for SD cards. Unless of course you prefer to be masochistic to yourself and take everyone else for the ride. :eek:

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
We can certainly estimate the cost of a Nexus 4 with greater storage by looking at the LG Optimus G, the phone the Nexus 4 is based on.

The E970 is the LG Optimus G model for AT&T. It costs $100 more than the Nexus 4 (16 GB model). That extra money gets you a micro SD cards slot for up to 64 GB of additional storage. Does that mean that a micro SD slot costs $100? No, because the E970 also has LTE on AT&T bands and LG's UI skin (which includes QSlide and QuickMemo) on top of Android. Those certainly are not free. Furthermore, AT&T loves to mark up prices to entice people to buy phones on a contract subsidy.

So, while we don't know the exact cost, we can estimate that a hypothetical Nexus 4 with a micro SD card slot would cost less than $100 extra.

I'm sorry, but, for the third time, do you know the cost of adding a higher storage component to the Nexus 4?

If you do not, stop talking. Thanks.

Because you claimed how inexpensive it would have been for Google to commission LG to create a Nexus 4 with a higher capacity, when that is purely speculation and unfounded.

Buddy, you bought the wrong device and it's time you get past that haha.

You have 16GB of storage, time to face reality that it isn't changing. You're clueless, bud.

Captainbob767

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Well, the Nexus 4 comes in two models. The 8 GB and 16 GB models cost $299 and $349, respectively. That's $50 for the extra 8 GB. We could estimate an extra 16 GB to cost $100. So maybe a 32 GB Nexus 4 would cost $449.

I guess the next question to ask would be, " How many Nexus 4 users have filled up their 16 GB phones and need more memory?". I am betting it would be a pretty small percentage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463