Desperate for Gmail/Email help

alginn0

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
My Google Nexus 4 email is driving me mad, need help please from some of you technical guys that I can't seem to find elsewhere. I need to get my mails on the phone as soon as they are sent really, like when I'm out for instance. This happens on my tablet always but not my phone. Some I get straight away, but other times not at all and others often late. I went to the shop where I bought the phone cash and not on a contract. They said I had too many mails on the phone which was stopping others getting through, so I deleted them and have 386 mails in the bin. I just can't find a way to delete mails from the bin.

I am using gmail at the moment as I thought with a google phone it would be quicker, but not sure. So these are my questions, with any other help welcome please. I am not talking about 3g coverage the problems occur at home on wifi

1 How do I get my messages straight away, as on my tablet?
2 How do I empty the trash bin?

Thank you guys for any help, Alan.

Last edited:

Rizy7

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like you are having the notification delay with Wifi. Unfortunately some routers cause the nexus 4 to not receive notifications straight away and often receive them only when the screen is turned on (Not the routers fault but Google's). You may notice that when you turn your screen on, the wifi and network signals turn grey for a second before turning blue again. Google are aware of this problem but have not fixed it yet. You can either switch your router to see if it makes a difference or set a static arp on your router on your existing router. If these solutions do not work and you are really desperate, you will have to edit some system files.

alginn0

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Yes thank you very much for that, something tells me you are right, for instance when I am out on data as far as I can remember emails are on time. I cannot change my router because it comes in a package, TV broadband and telephone. Will see what comes out of it now anyway.

alginn0

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site

Well thank you so much, how simple, easy and quick!! Why the hell didn't I think of that!! On the phone it still lists 191 items but the bin is empty so that's all that matters. Once again thank you so much, sorted.

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Well thank you so much, how simple, easy and quick!! Why the hell didn't I think of that!! On the phone it still lists 191 items but the bin is empty so that's all that matters. Once again thank you so much, sorted.

If you resync on the phone, I would hope it would update that...

dbareis

Jan 15, 2010
Visit site
They said I had too many mails on the phone which was stopping others getting through

That sounds like absolute garbage to me. You had no issues on 3G and only on WIFI so something is wrong on WIFI... Rather than deleting emails, you can set the number of days of emails you want to sync, I get a lot of emails and I've got mine 30 days synced. I have been selective about what labels I sync and my inbox is kept near empty, I would not sync all emails. In any case you have a WIFI issue.

Is the WIFI status bar symbol blue or grey? Grey apparently means Google sync not connected I believe. Its possible that the data for the gmail app is corrupted, might be worth resetting it by Android settings->Apps->All->Gmail and rebooting the phone.

ring o fire

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
Are you using the gmail app or the email app? I think the email app is Pull where as the gmail app is Push as it pushes all emails through.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

alginn0

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for all these thoughts guys, been a bit busy and will go through all your points, but I am new to smart phones and have a lot to learn. So will get back when I have had time to check everything out. The wifi signal is always blue, but I have tv, phone and broadband package on Sky. The email for this is run by Yahoo so may be slow in dealing with google etc. Anyway I expect I have got things wrong on my phone and as I say will check out your points. Thank you again.

Also yes too many mails on phone stopping others getting through is garbage I think.