Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Cleaning the Screen

What do you use to clean the screen on your phone? After a day, my screen is a greasy mess. I found that taking a paper towel and spraying it with a very light spray of windex and then using that to wipe the screen works very well and doesn't streak.

Wondering of there is a better way? I don't use a screen protector.

Default Re: Cleaning the Screen

I use monster clean. It reduce finger print and smudges.
    This is the same screen cleaner apple uses in their store for cleaning their devices.

I find sandpaper and bleach are awesome at removing fingerprints, dirt, and smudges.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by still1 View Post
    I use monster clean. It reduce finger print and smudges.
    This is the same screen cleaner apple uses in their store for cleaning their devices.

Wow, that looks great, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Tall Mike 2145 View Post
    I find sandpaper and bleach are awesome at removing fingerprints, dirt, and smudges.
    Never tried it yet. I'll have to buy some bleach. I always keep sandpaper on hand for wiping my hands after eating.
    kiroid likes this.

Honestly, I'm about as low tech as it gets...I just use a (dry) tea/dish towel...seems to work fine for all my touchscreen devices...

Global Posts
    6 Global Posts

For years I've been using microfiber towels that you can get just about anywhere. I think I got mine in the detailing section of an auto parts store. They have a certain feel to them that is hard to describe but they're dry and leave no residue.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    sonicresidue likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by NexusGirlX View Post
    I found that taking a paper towel and spraying it with a very light spray of windex and then using that to wipe the screen works very well and doesn't streak.
    I've done the same thing for years with multiple phones and tablets, with and without screen protectors. Works just fine.

I use an old microfiber towel from my collection of auto detailing supplies. The ones designed for glass usually work the best since they have shorter, tighter fibers and don't leave streaks. All the ones I've seen are green in color. That, along with a small amount of glass cleaner applied directly to the towel works well for me.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by CoMoNexus View Post
    I've done the same thing for years with multiple phones and tablets, with and without screen protectors. Works just fine.
    Yes, it has always worked great and doesn't scratch like some people think it would.

I also use a microfiber cloth. I dip a corner in a little white vinegar and water solution (and squeeze any excess out) instead of windex.

Sent from my Nexus 4 on Solavei
    Ask me about Solavei.

10% alcohol and water blend works well enough for really cheap.

For on the go, I got an allotment of this: Amazon.com: Zeiss Pre-Moistened Lens Cloths Wipes 200c: Health & Personal Care

Quote Originally Posted by minnemike View Post
    That looks like a great idea - I hate dirty screens. Do you like how they work?

Sent from my Nexus 4 on Solavei
    Ask me about Solavei.

They work great. But you need to be sure to make fast work of it since they seem to evaporate quickly.

For a phone you should be fine - only a worry with tablets.
    Thanked by:

What do you use to clean the screen on your phone? After a day, my screen is a greasy mess. I found that taking a paper towel and spraying it with a very light spray of windex and then using that to wipe the screen works very well and doesn't streak.

Nooooooo!! No Windex. :thumbdown:

I use gentle eyeglass lens or lcd monitor cleaner, lightly sprayed on a lint-free cloth. Cleaners for led and plasma tvs should be gentle enough. (Got a Costco near you? They sell a great eyeglass care kit with free refills of fluid.)

If you have a clean, damp microfiber cloth, that'll do the trick but dry gently after.

3M makes a superb microfiber "electronics cleaning cloth" that comes and goes on Amazon.

Windex contains ammonia and other cleansers that are too harsh for a touchscreen. Bad. Bad.

// Tapatalk HD for Android - Nexus 7 //
    Sent by accident, not using the Android Central app
    Nexus 4 (Mako), Amaze 4G on T-Mobile. Nexus 7 16GB. Google Chromebook (2012 Samsung 16gb). Next stop, a Google flush toilet.
    Did I solve your problem? Hit the Thanks button. Was I just a nuisance? Sorry, can't bat .400 every day.
    Thanked by:

I wouldn't use any kind of liquid on my phone/tablet. I use a microfiber cloth to clean the screen of my phone/tablet. The great thing about it is that you don't have to spray any liquid on your screen to clean it with. All you need is a microfiber cloth and it'll get rid of all the fingerprints/grease. After using it, it'll look like it's brand new .

Never tried it yet. I'll have to buy some bleach. I always keep sandpaper on hand for wiping my hands after eating.
    LOL, best comment ever !!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cleaning the Screen-img_20130425_233059.jpg  
    Last edited by kiroid; 04-26-2013 at 12:28 AM.

Last edited by kiroid; 04-26-2013 at 12:32 AM.
    Thanked by 2:
    ChromeJob likes this.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Thanks for the ideas everyone. I never liked the micro fiber cloths that came with other phone because after a while, all they did was smear oil around the screen.

A good microfiber cloth (e. g. 3M kind) can and should be hand washed in warm water and gentle soap (Dr. Bronner's FTW) once in a while, drip dry. No more smear. :beer:

Btw I like a good screen protector because in addition to protecting against scratches, you can clean it quickly, if it gets hazy, ... just replace it.

// Tapatalk HD for Android - Nexus 7 //
    Sent by accident, not using the Android Central app
    Nexus 4 (Mako), Amaze 4G on T-Mobile. Nexus 7 16GB. Google Chromebook (2012 Samsung 16gb). Next stop, a Google flush toilet.
    Did I solve your problem? Hit the Thanks button. Was I just a nuisance? Sorry, can't bat .400 every day.

Quote Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
    Windex contains ammonia and other cleansers that are too harsh for a touchscreen. Bad. Bad.
    I've been using Windex and similar glass cleaners for years. Zero problems even before Gorilla Glass became the norm.

Stoner's Invisible Glass is a great glass cleaner with no ammonia.
    ChromeJob likes this.

ROM
    stock N4

This works great, comes with the microfiber cloth and you can buy it @ Wal-Mart
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cleaning the Screen-great-touch-screens.jpg  
    Nexus 4 & 5
    ChromeJob likes this.

Global Posts
    3,246 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.2

Hoodie sleeves, jeans, shirt, etc. all work equally well. Wipe in a single direction instead of circles to actually remove the grease and grim.
    dgwphotography likes this.

I use my hats.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

Quote Originally Posted by CoMoNexus View Post
    I've been using Windex and similar glass cleaners for years. Zero problems even before Gorilla Glass became the norm.
    Same, been using it and a paper towel on my MacBooks for as long as I;ve had them. Never hurt a thing.

Lint free cloth which is usually for sunnies - doesn't do the best job or windex.
    Tom Fairclough
    Credo faber est quisque fortunae suae
    I believe every man is the artisan of his own fortune
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast