Notice some general lag on my N4

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Maybe it's just me being Paranoid With all this malware scare going around, but I'm kinda noticing these hitches when doing things like Web browsing and sometimes panning on the home screen. Maybe it's my 3G, but I really want to make sure there's nothing wrong with my phone I installed lookout just in case it was mal ware, but it says my phone is clean and my apps are fine

Anyone have any ideas? Am I expecting too much maybe?

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Maybe it's just me being Paranoid With all this malware scare going around, but I'm kinda noticing these hitches when doing things like Web browsing and sometimes panning on the home screen. Maybe it's my 3G, but I really want to make sure there's nothing wrong with my phone I installed lookout just in case it was mal ware, but it says my phone is clean and my apps are fine

Yup there is lag for me when installing apps or having like 20 apps open in the multitasking, IMHO iOS is smoother(barely)

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm curious why my app menu keeps saying I have Facebook and game fly app running, even though I closed out of them in multitasking menu

jd914

Banned
Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
95 apps installed an no lag. There is no malware for Android, that's just a myth.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
How am I giving bad advice?

I wouldn't say bad advice, because your point about how Android multitasks verse how iOS "multitasks" is accurate. However, I rarely swipe away apps and have 100+ installed (obviously not all running); Android is fantastic at multitasking, especially given the specifications of the Nexus 4. I've had three lags or hiccups... Maybe. It's really been that fluid. I'm stock across the board currently.

That said, all I'm pointing out is it's more likely the OP has installed and app or two that aren't functioning properly and messing with some areas of the OS.

Secondly, OP, you mentioned issues using the browser, and to that all I need say is blame Chrome. Google is still developing Chrome and ironing out the kinks; Chrome will have hiccups on any Android device in it's current form.

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Does having the apps run in the multitasking bar drain battery?

I would except so, though by how much, I don't know.

Only pointing out that in majority of circumstances, Android on our devices will rarely, if ever, lag. Of course, it happens, but I was merely saying the N4 is more likely to encounter hiccups due to a poorly coded app rather than just leaving too many apps in the multitasking window.

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't say bad advice, because your point about how Android multitasks verse how iOS "multitasks" is accurate. However, I rarely swipe away apps and have 100+ installed (obviously not all running); Android is fantastic at multitasking, especially given the specifications of the Nexus 4. I've had three lags or hiccups... Maybe. It's really been that fluid. I'm stock across the board currently.

That said, all I'm pointing out is it's more likely the OP has installed and app or two that aren't functioning properly and messing with some areas of the OS.

Secondly, OP, you mentioned issues using the browser, and to that all I need say is blame Chrome. Google is still developing Chrome and ironing out the kinks; Chrome will have hiccups on any Android device in it's current form.

How would I tell which apps are messing with my OS?

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
I would except so, though by how much, I don't know.

Only pointing out that in majority of circumstances, Android on our devices will rarely, if ever, lag. Of course, it happens, but I was merely saying the N4 is more likely to encounter hiccups due to a poorly coded app rather than just leaving too many apps in the multitasking window.
No decrease in battery life by running 5 apps all day.

Rizy7

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Android is very good at handling apps and ram. If worse comes to worst android will kill tasks automatically in order to free up space and keep the device running smoothly. Most lag is noticed within apps but that is not really the phones fault, more to do with how the apps are coded and often to do with poorly behaving apps. This can be seen in some apps continuing to run after you have backed out of it and even cleared the recent apps, when you have no use for the app running. It is not essential to clear out recent apps, if the apps have been exited properly, they will no longer be running but cached (Faster loading times if you need the app again). It is however good practice to clear out the recents if you want your device to be running at full potential all the time.

TL;DR This phone is blazing fast running on vanilla android. Android is very efficient with multitasking. This is probably one of the best lag free phones youll find on the market.

Also check this video out, this guy puts out great videos regularly.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Android is very good at handling apps and ram. If worse comes to worst android will kill tasks automatically in order to free up space and keep the device running smoothly. Most lag is noticed within apps but that is not really the phones fault, more to do with how the apps are coded and often to do with poorly behaving apps. This can be seen in some apps continuing to run after you have backed out of it and even cleared the recent apps, when you have no use for the app running. It is not essential to clear out recent apps, if the apps have been exited properly, they will no longer be running but cached (Faster loading times if you need the app again). It is however good practice to clear out the recents if you want your device to be running at full potential all the time.

TL;DR This phone is blazing fast running on vanilla android. Android is very efficient with multitasking. This is probably one of the best lag free phones youll find on the market.

Also check this video out, this guy puts out great videos regularly.

Android Multi-Tasking - EXPLAINED - HD - YouTube

mKHD right? He is an awesome video maker.

omniusovermind

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site

Are you by any chance running a 3rd party launcher? Homescreen/app drawer scrolling and redraw is quite smooth on this phone so since you specifically mentioned that's one of the places where you're noticing lag, a not-so-fast home launcher replacement is usually a culprit for homescreen scrolling lag. As for Chrome, there could be reasons out of the control of your phone, like a poor connection. Try the sites that are lagging on a fast wifi connection and see it it happens then as well.