Verizon Nexus 4?

mdlissner

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Seeing some rumors of a Nexus 4 for Verizon being announced in two weeks at Google I/O.

Surprised I did not see anything on this in the rumored devices forum. Looking for confirmation. Have an upgrade coming on Verizon and have been looking at Galaxy S4 and potentially the HTC One, but if this rumor comes true I will most likely go Nexus - save the upgrade and buy it directly from Google.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure what "confirmation" of a rumor would mean, but I think you're going to have to wait until I/O to find out. Personally, I doubt it, but that's only a guess. Verizon absolutely HATES Nexus devices. This was made very apparent during the Galaxy Nexus. They don't want a phone in there line up that they are not in control of (updates and bloatware).

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Seeing some rumors of a Nexus 4 for Verizon being announced in two weeks at Google I/O.

Surprised I did not see anything on this in the rumored devices forum. Looking for confirmation. Have an upgrade coming on Verizon and have been looking at Galaxy S4 and potentially the HTC One, but if this rumor comes true I will most likely go Nexus - save the upgrade and buy it directly from Google.

I highly doubt it will come to Verizon. The Nexus 4 would have to be rebuilt to allow the radio for the cell network that Verizon is on. I don't see any good reason for rebuilding a device nearly from the ground up after a year in production. I heard that Verizon will never go with a Nexus device again, but I think that is because Google told them to fly a kite in regards to bloatware and Verizon didn't like that. Verizon claimed poor sales. (Yeah...right)

I agree that the Nexus devices shouldn't have removed that cell radio. Sprint is on the same type, and I would love to try a Nexus device.

I would look into specifics about your upgrade terms. I think Verizon just changed the terms and conditions.

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
The rumor was that there would be an LTE version. No other details, but the assumption is T-Mobile and 'maybe' AT&T bands would be supported.

People hear LTE and automatically think Verizon, but that would mean both a significant change is Verizon's approach to the Nexus program AND the release of a CDMA version of the phone.

In other words, don't count on it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

pjc123

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Geez, I bought the Nexus 4 so I could finally get rid of Verizon and pay a reasonable monthly rate with an MVNO carrier.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I would believe a Sprint version of the Nexus 4 before a Verizon version. Sprint has been very friendly to Google in the past, compared to Verizon. However, at this point I doubt we'll see a Sprint Nexus 4, either, else we would have heard some rumbling of that by now.

snookasnoo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Apple has never allowed bloatware or even Verizon labeling on iPhones and updates come straight from Apple. Google could force their hand if they wanted to but they just don't care. Anyway I would snap up a Nexus on Verizon but I don't see it happening.

I'm not sure what "confirmation" of a rumor would mean, but I think you're going to have to wait until I/O to find out. Personally, I doubt it, but that's only a guess. Verizon absolutely HATES Nexus devices. This was made very apparent during the Galaxy Nexus. They don't want a phone in there line up that they are not in control of (updates and bloatware).

CoMoNexus

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
I could see the Nexus 5 on Verizon because it's planning to launch voice over LTE (VoLTE) next year. When that happens, there's no longer any need for CDMA fallback for voice -- or for data because by then VZW's LTE coverage will be on par with its CDMA coverage.

Of course, that's the technical aspect. As others have posted, VZW and Google don't agree on some non-technical things (e.g., crapware), and those could prevent the N5 on VZW.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Apple has never allowed bloatware or even Verizon labeling on iPhones and updates come straight from Apple. Google could force their hand if they wanted to but they just don't care. Anyway I would snap up a Nexus on Verizon but I don't see it happening.

I don't understand why people do not get the major difference in this common Apple analogy...Apple makes 1 phone, and any carrier that wants to have it is forced to comply with Apples desires. Android makes, what 20...50...150??? different phones. It's easy for any carrier to decide they have no desire to comply with the Google over a single device (the Nexus). Not having 1 Android phone will effect their overall business by very negligible amount. Not carrying the iphone would effect their business in major way. It's an invalid comparison.

BuffOrange

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
Geez, I bought the Nexus 4 so I could finally get rid of Verizon and pay a reasonable monthly rate with an MVNO carrier.

Yah. I don't really see it as a good fit. Seems like it would appeal to a very narrow demographic.
I mean it seems all their potential customers would either be really loyal to the Nexus/Google brand (in which case they're not on VZ anyway) or like you & me, just wanted a good phone without paying thru the nose every month for 2yrs and left VZ because of that. I can't imagine many Verizon customers picking it up over the GS4 or whatever HTC has at that point.

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
Except for iPhones, of course. I don't think Verizon will have a Nexus 4 either, and it also doesn't need the N4. Verizon's draw is their unparalleled network, but we'll see what happens when the others catch up.

The rumor was that there would be an LTE version. No other details, but the assumption is T-Mobile and 'maybe' AT&T bands would be supported.
I could see hope for a Nexus 5 though that supports VoLTE, IF Verizon's LTE network is being built on an open LTE standard. If it is, people may be able to bring their own Nexus 5 and get a Verizon SIM card.

I don't understand why people do not get the major difference in this common Apple analogy...Apple makes 1 phone, and any carrier that wants to have it is forced to comply with Apples desires. Android makes, what 20...50...150??? different phones. It's easy for any carrier to decide they have no desire to comply with the Google over a single device (the Nexus). Not having 1 Android phone will effect their overall business by very negligible amount. Not carrying the iphone would effect their business in major way. It's an invalid comparison.
All this is true, but there is also another reason Google doesn't want to enter negotiations to force carriers. With the Nexus 4, Google's strategy has become pretty clear: offer an inexpensive but top of the line (at the time of release) device that consumers can take to any carrier they want (at this moment, that means GSM carriers). Apple works with each carrier to get their agreement to Apple's terms. Google wants to cut the carriers out of having to do anything with the phone at all (except perhaps sell it). That's why there is only one version of the N4 (storage notwithstanding) as opposed to carrier specific iPhone versions. Ultimately I see Google's vision becoming the successful one here, as most of the world already operates on that model. When American consumers catch up to this, Verizon and any other carrier that wants to remain relevant will be forced to change their business model, not by Google but by consumers.

mdlissner

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
I'm going to hold out hope until Google I/O that this does happen. Since Verizon made the Android market feasible with the original Droid, they probably have a very high number of Android fans that would like a bloat free version of Android. Lots of great features on this device, NFC, Wireless Charging, .... I would love a 64G version and avoid the SD card purchase and high probability of failure.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to hold out hope until Google I/O that this does happen. Since Verizon made the Android market feasible with the original Droid, they probably have a very high number of Android fans that would like a bloat free version of Android. Lots of great features on this device, NFC, Wireless Charging, .... I would love a 64G version and avoid the SD card purchase and high probability of failure.

I think (but certainly don't know) that you're going to be disappointed. What many of us here in this forum cannot seem to grasp is that 99.9% (just a guess) of the population couldn't care less about the Nexus line or bloatware. They just want the coolest/latest device that has all the bells and whistles that they see advertised. Most see "vanilla" android as boring android, and lacking cooler, newer features that the phones on TV have.

mdlissner

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
I think (but certainly don't know) that you're going to be disappointed. What many of us here in this forum cannot seem to grasp is that 99.9% (just a guess) of the population couldn't care less about the Nexus line or bloatware. They just want the coolest/latest device that has all the bells and whistles that they see advertised. Most see "vanilla" android as boring android, and lacking cooler, newer features that the phones on TV have.

Well if this disappoints me I will be left getting a Galaxy S4, or HTC One variant (if it comes to VZW) late in May or early in June when I have an upgrade available. I am very intrigued by the Nexus 4 - I liked when I loaded CM7 and Liberty on my Droid and Droid X - they were very good phones at the time. I got an iPad for Xmas in 2011 and that is great device, but the iPhone is not as good at what it does as the iPad is. Looking to jump ship back to Android when I can.

fierro951

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
@mslissner I think I'll be doing the same. If a Nexus 4 for Verizon is released I'll be the happiest person alive and stay with Verizon. (Although I doubt it will happen.) If we don't get a big red N4 then I'll be selling my Note 2 and using the money to pay the ETF to Verizon and just get a Nexus 4 and use a month to month service. May 15th is decision day for me. :D

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

ring o fire

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
Part of the appeal, at least for me is the fact that the phone is carrier unlock and there is no way that is happening with a N4 that is on Verizon. It takes away some of the luster if you ask me.

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Part of the appeal, at least for me is the fact that the phone is carrier unlock and there is no way that is happening with a N4 that is on Verizon. It takes away some of the luster if you ask me.
The Verizon iPhone 5 and several 4G LTE androids are GSM carrier unlocked.

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
A Nexus on Verizon just doesn't make sense to me from a financial perspective alone (and I owned and loved the LTE Gnex). Why would you pay $350 for a N4 and pay Verizon $100 a month or more to use it? Does ANYONE that's a Verizon customer buy unsubsidized devices? Doubtful (talking smartphones here) and that's the way Verizon likes it. Google's vision and Verizon's greed simply don't work well together.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34