Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 30
Like Tree18Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Verizon Nexus 4?

    Seeing some rumors of a Nexus 4 for Verizon being announced in two weeks at Google I/O.

    Surprised I did not see anything on this in the rumored devices forum. Looking for confirmation. Have an upgrade coming on Verizon and have been looking at Galaxy S4 and potentially the HTC One, but if this rumor comes true I will most likely go Nexus - save the upgrade and buy it directly from Google.
    Thanks,

    Mark
    Kyo7135 - Treo600 - Treo650 - Treo 700 - BlackBerry 8800 - Blackberry 9000 - Droid - Storm 2 (failed Experiment) - Droid - Droid X - iPhone4S (waiting to come back to Android with HTC One or Samsung Galaxy S4)
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Verizon Nexus 4?

    I'm not sure what "confirmation" of a rumor would mean, but I think you're going to have to wait until I/O to find out. Personally, I doubt it, but that's only a guess. Verizon absolutely HATES Nexus devices. This was made very apparent during the Galaxy Nexus. They don't want a phone in there line up that they are not in control of (updates and bloatware).
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/
    Thanked by 2:
  3. #3  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    13,638 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,913 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

    Default Re: Verizon Nexus 4?

    Quote Originally Posted by mdlissner View Post
    Seeing some rumors of a Nexus 4 for Verizon being announced in two weeks at Google I/O.

    Surprised I did not see anything on this in the rumored devices forum. Looking for confirmation. Have an upgrade coming on Verizon and have been looking at Galaxy S4 and potentially the HTC One, but if this rumor comes true I will most likely go Nexus - save the upgrade and buy it directly from Google.
    I highly doubt it will come to Verizon. The Nexus 4 would have to be rebuilt to allow the radio for the cell network that Verizon is on. I don't see any good reason for rebuilding a device nearly from the ground up after a year in production. I heard that Verizon will never go with a Nexus device again, but I think that is because Google told them to fly a kite in regards to bloatware and Verizon didn't like that. Verizon claimed poor sales. (Yeah...right)

    I agree that the Nexus devices shouldn't have removed that cell radio. Sprint is on the same type, and I would love to try a Nexus device.

    I would look into specifics about your upgrade terms. I think Verizon just changed the terms and conditions.

    Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu 'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Verizon Nexus 4?

    The rumor was that there would be an LTE version. No other details, but the assumption is T-Mobile and 'maybe' AT&T bands would be supported.

    People hear LTE and automatically think Verizon, but that would mean both a significant change is Verizon's approach to the Nexus program AND the release of a CDMA version of the phone.

    In other words, don't count on it.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Verizon Nexus 4?

    Geez, I bought the Nexus 4 so I could finally get rid of Verizon and pay a reasonable monthly rate with an MVNO carrier.
    Thanked by:
    Nonymous666 and BuffOrange like this.
  6. #6  
    Citizen Coyote's Avatar

    Posts
    880 Posts
    ROM
    KK 4.4.2

    Default Re: Verizon Nexus 4?

    I would believe a Sprint version of the Nexus 4 before a Verizon version. Sprint has been very friendly to Google in the past, compared to Verizon. However, at this point I doubt we'll see a Sprint Nexus 4, either, else we would have heard some rumbling of that by now.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default Re: Verizon Nexus 4?

    Look at these links:



    Thanks,

    Mark
    Kyo7135 - Treo600 - Treo650 - Treo 700 - BlackBerry 8800 - Blackberry 9000 - Droid - Storm 2 (failed Experiment) - Droid - Droid X - iPhone4S (waiting to come back to Android with HTC One or Samsung Galaxy S4)
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Verizon Nexus 4?

    Apple has never allowed bloatware or even Verizon labeling on iPhones and updates come straight from Apple. Google could force their hand if they wanted to but they just don't care. Anyway I would snap up a Nexus on Verizon but I don't see it happening.

    Quote Originally Posted by greydarrah View Post
    I'm not sure what "confirmation" of a rumor would mean, but I think you're going to have to wait until I/O to find out. Personally, I doubt it, but that's only a guess. Verizon absolutely HATES Nexus devices. This was made very apparent during the Galaxy Nexus. They don't want a phone in there line up that they are not in control of (updates and bloatware).
    iPhone 5s-Verizon
    Moto X Verizon
    Nexus 7 2013
    Nexus 10
    iPad Air-Verizon
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Verizon Nexus 4?

    Quote Originally Posted by mdlissner View Post
    Look at these links:



    Well, April has ended. Though I would be all over a 32gb GSM Nexus 4 if that ever came out.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Verizon Nexus 4?

    I could see the Nexus 5 on Verizon because it's planning to launch voice over LTE (VoLTE) next year. When that happens, there's no longer any need for CDMA fallback for voice -- or for data because by then VZW's LTE coverage will be on par with its CDMA coverage.

    Of course, that's the technical aspect. As others have posted, VZW and Google don't agree on some non-technical things (e.g., crapware), and those could prevent the N5 on VZW.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Verizon Nexus 4?

    Quote Originally Posted by snookasnoo View Post
    Apple has never allowed bloatware or even Verizon labeling on iPhones and updates come straight from Apple. Google could force their hand if they wanted to but they just don't care. Anyway I would snap up a Nexus on Verizon but I don't see it happening.
    I don't understand why people do not get the major difference in this common Apple analogy...Apple makes 1 phone, and any carrier that wants to have it is forced to comply with Apples desires. Android makes, what 20...50...150??? different phones. It's easy for any carrier to decide they have no desire to comply with the Google over a single device (the Nexus). Not having 1 Android phone will effect their overall business by very negligible amount. Not carrying the iphone would effect their business in major way. It's an invalid comparison.
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/
    Thanked by:
    Nonymous666 likes this.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Verizon Nexus 4?

    Quote Originally Posted by pjc123 View Post
    Geez, I bought the Nexus 4 so I could finally get rid of Verizon and pay a reasonable monthly rate with an MVNO carrier.
    Yah. I don't really see it as a good fit. Seems like it would appeal to a very narrow demographic.
    I mean it seems all their potential customers would either be really loyal to the Nexus/Google brand (in which case they're not on VZ anyway) or like you & me, just wanted a good phone without paying thru the nose every month for 2yrs and left VZ because of that. I can't imagine many Verizon customers picking it up over the GS4 or whatever HTC has at that point.
    ConTejas likes this.
  13. #13  
    yfan's Avatar

    Posts
    803 Posts
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts

    Default Re: Verizon Nexus 4?

    Quote Originally Posted by greydarrah View Post
    I'm not sure what "confirmation" of a rumor would mean, but I think you're going to have to wait until I/O to find out. Personally, I doubt it, but that's only a guess. Verizon absolutely HATES Nexus devices. This was made very apparent during the Galaxy Nexus. They don't want a phone in there line up that they are not in control of (updates and bloatware).
    Except for iPhones, of course. I don't think Verizon will have a Nexus 4 either, and it also doesn't need the N4. Verizon's draw is their unparalleled network, but we'll see what happens when the others catch up.

    Quote Originally Posted by gone down south View Post
    The rumor was that there would be an LTE version. No other details, but the assumption is T-Mobile and 'maybe' AT&T bands would be supported.
    I could see hope for a Nexus 5 though that supports VoLTE, IF Verizon's LTE network is being built on an open LTE standard. If it is, people may be able to bring their own Nexus 5 and get a Verizon SIM card.

    Quote Originally Posted by greydarrah View Post
    I don't understand why people do not get the major difference in this common Apple analogy...Apple makes 1 phone, and any carrier that wants to have it is forced to comply with Apples desires. Android makes, what 20...50...150??? different phones. It's easy for any carrier to decide they have no desire to comply with the Google over a single device (the Nexus). Not having 1 Android phone will effect their overall business by very negligible amount. Not carrying the iphone would effect their business in major way. It's an invalid comparison.
    All this is true, but there is also another reason Google doesn't want to enter negotiations to force carriers. With the Nexus 4, Google's strategy has become pretty clear: offer an inexpensive but top of the line (at the time of release) device that consumers can take to any carrier they want (at this moment, that means GSM carriers). Apple works with each carrier to get their agreement to Apple's terms. Google wants to cut the carriers out of having to do anything with the phone at all (except perhaps sell it). That's why there is only one version of the N4 (storage notwithstanding) as opposed to carrier specific iPhone versions. Ultimately I see Google's vision becoming the successful one here, as most of the world already operates on that model. When American consumers catch up to this, Verizon and any other carrier that wants to remain relevant will be forced to change their business model, not by Google but by consumers.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

    Default Re: Verizon Nexus 4?

    I'm going to hold out hope until Google I/O that this does happen. Since Verizon made the Android market feasible with the original Droid, they probably have a very high number of Android fans that would like a bloat free version of Android. Lots of great features on this device, NFC, Wireless Charging, .... I would love a 64G version and avoid the SD card purchase and high probability of failure.
    Thanks,

    Mark
    Kyo7135 - Treo600 - Treo650 - Treo 700 - BlackBerry 8800 - Blackberry 9000 - Droid - Storm 2 (failed Experiment) - Droid - Droid X - iPhone4S (waiting to come back to Android with HTC One or Samsung Galaxy S4)
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Verizon Nexus 4?

    Quote Originally Posted by mdlissner View Post
    I'm going to hold out hope until Google I/O that this does happen. Since Verizon made the Android market feasible with the original Droid, they probably have a very high number of Android fans that would like a bloat free version of Android. Lots of great features on this device, NFC, Wireless Charging, .... I would love a 64G version and avoid the SD card purchase and high probability of failure.
    I think (but certainly don't know) that you're going to be disappointed. What many of us here in this forum cannot seem to grasp is that 99.9% (just a guess) of the population couldn't care less about the Nexus line or bloatware. They just want the coolest/latest device that has all the bells and whistles that they see advertised. Most see "vanilla" android as boring android, and lacking cooler, newer features that the phones on TV have.
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

    Default Re: Verizon Nexus 4?

    Quote Originally Posted by greydarrah View Post
    I think (but certainly don't know) that you're going to be disappointed. What many of us here in this forum cannot seem to grasp is that 99.9% (just a guess) of the population couldn't care less about the Nexus line or bloatware. They just want the coolest/latest device that has all the bells and whistles that they see advertised. Most see "vanilla" android as boring android, and lacking cooler, newer features that the phones on TV have.
    Well if this disappoints me I will be left getting a Galaxy S4, or HTC One variant (if it comes to VZW) late in May or early in June when I have an upgrade available. I am very intrigued by the Nexus 4 - I liked when I loaded CM7 and Liberty on my Droid and Droid X - they were very good phones at the time. I got an iPad for Xmas in 2011 and that is great device, but the iPhone is not as good at what it does as the iPad is. Looking to jump ship back to Android when I can.
    Thanks,

    Mark
    Kyo7135 - Treo600 - Treo650 - Treo 700 - BlackBerry 8800 - Blackberry 9000 - Droid - Storm 2 (failed Experiment) - Droid - Droid X - iPhone4S (waiting to come back to Android with HTC One or Samsung Galaxy S4)
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Verizon Nexus 4?

    @mslissner I think I'll be doing the same. If a Nexus 4 for Verizon is released I'll be the happiest person alive and stay with Verizon. (Although I doubt it will happen.) If we don't get a big red N4 then I'll be selling my Note 2 and using the money to pay the ETF to Verizon and just get a Nexus 4 and use a month to month service. May 15th is decision day for me.

    Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Verizon Nexus 4?

    Part of the appeal, at least for me is the fact that the phone is carrier unlock and there is no way that is happening with a N4 that is on Verizon. It takes away some of the luster if you ask me.
    greydarrah likes this.
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Verizon Nexus 4?

    Quote Originally Posted by ring o fire View Post
    Part of the appeal, at least for me is the fact that the phone is carrier unlock and there is no way that is happening with a N4 that is on Verizon. It takes away some of the luster if you ask me.
    The Verizon iPhone 5 and several 4G LTE androids are GSM carrier unlocked.
    I voided my warranty.
  20. #20  
    ConTejas's Avatar

    Posts
    830 Posts
    ROM
    Super Beans n Kernels

    Default Re: Verizon Nexus 4?

    A Nexus on Verizon just doesn't make sense to me from a financial perspective alone (and I owned and loved the LTE Gnex). Why would you pay $350 for a N4 and pay Verizon $100 a month or more to use it? Does ANYONE that's a Verizon customer buy unsubsidized devices? Doubtful (talking smartphones here) and that's the way Verizon likes it. Google's vision and Verizon's greed simply don't work well together.
    greydarrah likes this.
  21. #21  
    ConTejas's Avatar

    Posts
    830 Posts
    ROM
    Super Beans n Kernels

    Default Re: Verizon Nexus 4?

    Quote Originally Posted by androidluvr2 View Post
    The Verizon iPhone 5 and several 4G LTE androids are GSM carrier unlocked.
    Not sure if you're saying there's only one iphone 5, but there's three versions.

  22. #22  

    Default Re: Verizon Nexus 4?

    Quote Originally Posted by ConTejas View Post
    Why would you pay $350 for a N4 and pay Verizon $100 a month or more to use it?
    Another question: Why would anyone pay Verizon or any other carrier $100/month to use any phone? There are so many cheaper alternatives.
    nickacs and ConTejas like this.
  23. #23  

    Default Re: Verizon Nexus 4?

    Quote Originally Posted by CoMoNexus View Post
    Another question: Why would anyone pay Verizon or any other carrier $100/month to use any phone? There are so many cheaper alternatives.
    Because I am tethering my laptop using a solid signal and (grandfathered) unlimited data in places my in-laws phones on AT&T and T-Mobile are not even getting signal. My current contract is up in December, and we will see if that still matters to me. I feel pretty ready to jump, and after buying mom a Nexus 4, I am also feeling jealousy
    ConTejas likes this.
  24. #24  

    Default Re: Verizon Nexus 4?

    Quote Originally Posted by ConTejas View Post
    Not sure if you're saying there's only one iphone 5, but there's three versions.
    No, I was only addressing the Verizon iPhone5 (that is why I said the Verizon iPhone 5). The Verizon iPhone 5 is carrier unlocked for GSM carriers. You can use it on any GSM carrier, including ATT and TMobile. You just can't use it on other CDMA carriers, like Sprint.

    The poster I was addressing said there is no way Verizon is going to carrier unlock phones. Well, they already have. At least for GSM carriers.
    I voided my warranty.
    Thanked by:
  25. #25  
    Jdane07's Avatar

    Posts
    256 Posts
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts

    Default Re: Verizon Nexus 4?

    I'm happy with my Z10 for now, but I do have a tendency to jump around with phones a lot... lol
    I'd certainly look to pick up a N4 through VZW if and only if they didn't interfere with OTA updates.
    VZW allows Apple to update iPhone without strenuous testing... should be the same way with Google.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 27
    Last Post: 03-27-2010, 12:11 PM
  2. Verizon Nexus One has no GSM!
    By Yahma in forum Google / HTC Nexus One
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-15-2010, 12:14 PM
  3. Will Verizon Nexus One be usable on Sprint?
    By 6tr6tr in forum Google / HTC Nexus One
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-05-2010, 01:50 AM
  4. Verizon Nexus One hardware improvements
    By Jeremy in forum Google / HTC Nexus One
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 02-28-2010, 01:25 PM
  5. Verizon Nexus or 2.1 For Eris?
    By pmdied in forum HTC Droid Eris
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 02-27-2010, 08:56 PM

Posting Permissions

B