eBay refills for prepays ?

vlee

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
I realize this isn't strictly Nexus related, but since I have one on the $30 prepaid T-mobile plan, I figured I asked here. I'd never considered doing this, but I saw it being discussed in another thread and it got me curious.

I'm assuming that T-Mobile isn't gonna tack an additional 6% tax on when I go to apply this, correct? (probably soon to be a moot point given the hoopla about making eBay charge tax).

More importantly, how "safe" is doing this? For whatever reason, I'd always assumed that selling gift and payment cards and such on eBay was potentially a scam, so I haven't really considered buying any. But seeing people here mention it is making me wonder if it's something I should look into. When I looked the cards up, several of the sellers online want the cell phone#. Is that normal/safe?

Anything else that someone considering using this route should know?

(Edited to add question mark so it doesn't look like I'm selling them!)

Last edited:

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I realize this isn't strictly Nexus related, but since I have one on the $30 prepaid T-mobile plan, I figured I asked here. I'd never considered doing this, but I saw it being discussed in another thread and it got me curious.

I'm assuming that T-Mobile isn't gonna tack an additional 6% tax on when I go to apply this, correct? (probably soon to be a moot point given the hoopla about making eBay charge tax).

More importantly, how "safe" is doing this? For whatever reason, I'd always assumed that selling gift and payment cards and such on eBay was potentially a scam, so I haven't really considered buying any. But seeing people here mention it is making me wonder if it's something I should look into. When I looked the cards up, several of the sellers online want the cell phone#. Is that normal/safe?

Don't know any of the answers but have the same questions myself. I have yet to see somebody post that they got burned or ripped off buying a refill on ebay. I never thought about Gift Card scam and whether or not one is exposing themselves to the same danger. I am not sure how the gift card scams work but I think the scam has something to do with using a credit card to fund the gift card and then being exposed to fraudulent charges. If you use PayPal you might be protected from the scam.

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site

I do this all the time, and I have been for quite awhile. I have yet to be burned. The only place I've seen it recorded was on an eBay vendor's feedback, where a buyer said he never received anything. Use vendors who have lots of and a high percentage of positive feedback.

If the vendor asks for your phone #, it's so they can directly add the credit to your account. As far as I know there's nothing dangerous they can do with your phone #, other than maybe using it for telemarketing purposes or something. Other vendors will email you the PIN or even send you the card via snail mail.

And no, T-Mobile isn't going to tack any tax on. That's one of the beauties of refilling your account with prepaid cards. The other advantage is that you can buy them for a considerable discount from face value.

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
I do this all the time, and I have been for quite awhile. I have yet to be burned. The only place I've seen it recorded was on an eBay vendor's feedback, where a buyer said he never received anything. Use vendors who have lots of and a high percentage of positive feedback.

If the vendor asks for your phone #, it's so they can directly add the credit to your account. As far as I know there's nothing dangerous they can do with your phone #, other than maybe using it for telemarketing purposes or something. Other vendors will email you the PIN or even send you the card via snail mail.

And no, T-Mobile isn't going to tack any tax on. That's one of the beauties of refilling your account with prepaid cards. The other advantage is that you can buy them for a considerable discount from face value.

I have been doing this the last three months with tmobile and att refill cards. Haven't had any problems whatsoever. Just make sure you are dealing with reputable sellers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae