Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By DirkBelig
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    1,455 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

Default Need Pre-Paid Service Recommendation For Canada (i.e. Toronto)

With my previous smartphones (Palm Pre; OG EVO; GS2) on Trudge (i.e. Sprint), when I went to Toronto I was able to get cheaper roaming at 20 cents/min. and free texting which was sufficient for getting hold of people I needed to there. I had to shut off network data and look for wifi, which is remarkably scarce in downtown TO, so it was basically a dumbphone. Oh well.

Since switching to a N4 on Straight Talk AT&T, I've got no roaming options at any price, so I'm in the market for a pre-paid SIM and service. I've been looking off and on since November and it seems like there's nothing really appropriate for my needs. A friend who went to London (England, not Ontario) told me she was able to get a SIM for her iPhone that gave talk and data for a week for about $10, but everything I've seen for Canada seems crazy expensive (e.g. $50+) or offers a lot of what I don't need (talk) and little of what I want (data).

Can anyone suggest a reasonably-priced SIM/service plan for a five-day stay in Toronto. If I can get 10 minutes of talk, 50 texts and 100 MB data, I should be able to get by. I checked the Canadian Carriers forum here, but it's a ghost town. Thanks in advance!
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Global Posts
    1,455 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

Default Re: Need Pre-Paid Service Recommendation For Canada (i.e. Toronto)

Bumping in hopes of an answer.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    1,455 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

Unreal. Not a single Canadian in these forums? It's been a month without a single reply. Yeesh. I'm leaving in the morning and while I've been doing some research, it would've been nice to get some personal recommendations.

Global Posts
    2,266 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Clean ROM

Would help you out but I have no experience at all with Canadian carriers and have very little knowledge about them.. Hope someone can help you

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by DirkBelig View Post
    Unreal. Not a single Canadian in these forums? It's been a month without a single reply. Yeesh. I'm leaving in the morning and while I've been doing some research, it would've been nice to get some personal recommendations.
    Maybe it was your subject, could have mentioned your area. I passed it by several times, because it didn't grab my attention.
    Okay that said, I don't even know why you're asking - lots of choices in Toronto. Try one out & see if you like it. Really don't see your problem!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

With my previous smartphones (Palm Pre; OG EVO; GS2) on Trudge (i.e. Sprint), when I went to Toronto I was able to get cheaper roaming at 20 cents/min. and free texting which was sufficient for getting hold of people I needed to there. I had to shut off network data and look for wifi, which is remarkably scarce in downtown TO, so it was basically a dumbphone. Oh well.

Since switching to a N4 on Straight Talk AT&T, I've got no roaming options at any price, so I'm in the market for a pre-paid SIM and service. I've been looking off and on since November and it seems like there's nothing really appropriate for my needs. A friend who went to London (England, not Ontario) told me she was able to get a SIM for her iPhone that gave talk and data for a week for about $10, but everything I've seen for Canada seems crazy expensive (e.g. $50+) or offers a lot of what I don't need (talk) and little of what I want (data).

Can anyone suggest a reasonably-priced SIM/service plan for a five-day stay in Toronto. If I can get 10 minutes of talk, 50 texts and 100 MB data, I should be able to get by. I checked the Canadian Carriers forum here, but it's a ghost town. Thanks in advance!
    Maybe it was your subject, could have mentioned your area. I passed it by several times, because it didn't grab my attention.
    Okay that said, I don't even know why you're asking - lots of choices in Toronto. Try one out & see if you like it. Really don't see your problem!

Every supermarket in the city has wireless cash cards at POS. The lowest I've seen is $15. As far as recommendation goes, they're all the same.

I stopped reading your epic novel about 4 lines in. You could have lost the first 90% of your post and just asked for a sim service recommendation on about 20 words.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    1,455 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by gone down south View Post
    I stopped reading your epic novel about 4 lines in. You could have lost the first 90% of your post and just asked for a sim service recommendation on about 20 words.

Well excuse me for doing the opposite of so many posts asking for help that end up being a bunch of replies asking the OP for clarification by providing the complete details of my situation. Sorry that your attention span is shorter than most comic strips, as if you're still reading at this point.
    mcshaggin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by marathone View Post
    That may be a good solution for somebody who is relocating to Toronto but not really helpful for someone going for a week.

If someone asked for Toronto restaurant recommendations, would you also say, "I don't even know why you're asking - lots of choices in Toronto. Try one out & see if you like it."
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Global Posts
    1,455 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

I'm going to try a Fido prepaid deal. I'll report back on how it worked. Stopping at a Walmart in Sarnia to pick it up.

Well excuse me for doing the opposite of so many posts asking for help that end up being a bunch of replies asking the OP for clarification by providing the complete details of my situation. Sorry that your attention span is shorter than most comic strips, as if you're still reading at this point.
    Just explaining why you may not have got any responses....

As a Canadian, I can tell you that the reason that I can't offer any advice is that I never just need 5 days of data. I use a prepaid service through Telus, but it is for 30 days. You may just want to walk into the first cell shop you find and ask them what they can do for you. Maybe try the smaller ones like Wind mobile or something, not sure what is available in Toronto.

Quote Originally Posted by Unicorn Rancher View Post
    That may be a good solution for somebody who is relocating to Toronto but not really helpful for someone going for a week.

If someone asked for Toronto restaurant recommendations, would you also say, "I don't even know why you're asking - lots of choices in Toronto. Try one out & see if you like it."
    No one sells data access for a week! The only option is to buy a prepaid card. Oh and that is a silly analogy.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Global Posts
    1,455 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by marathone View Post
    No one sells data access for a week! The only option is to buy a prepaid card. Oh and that is a silly analogy.
    Fido does, but they couldn't set it up for me in the time I had allotted. I'm back now and once I check into a few things, I'll be detailing my experience.

Global Posts
    96 Global Posts

Thanks for following up. I'm headed to Niagra Falls next months and was curious if I needed anything. On straight talk Tmo here.