1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default S4 sidebar on the nexus 4

One of the best features on the S4 that I really like is the sidebar that gives you a menu to easily access your favorite applications on your S4, I was curious if there was a way to get this same awesome feature on the nexus 4.

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: S4 sidebar on the nexus 4

Is what you're looking for?

ROM
    LiquidSmooth

Check out the thread in my sig, there are a few apps that will allow you this feature.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Yes it is.. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by swartzz View Post
    Yes it is.. Thanks

I think glovebox and unity launcher is better

These edge of the screen swipe sidebar apps were a huge fad for me a few months ago but after the novelty wore off I kept finding that they weren't actually speeding up my time navigating the phone. It was no faster to use these apps than it was for me to keep an efficient homescreen and use Jellybean's existing and already excellent multitasking screen. That's not accounting for the number of times that the edge of screen swipe detection didn't pick up my input the first time. There was also the factor that in most of these apps, it's a 3-step process: Swipe the edge, and then scroll down the list for the desired app, then launch it. I can do that in 2 faster steps using Android itself: Either Press Home -> launch app or Press Multitasking -> launch app. It all depends how you set your homescreens up though. All of my regularly used apps are on my main screen along with calender/agenda widget and clock. I only use one screen. For those of you who have a ton of widgets spanning across multiple homescreens, I could see apps like these being somewhat more useful to use

For the record, I have used Glovebox, Swapps, Sidebar, Swipepad, and Wave Launcher over the course of half a year, which is a good and long period of time to come to this conclusion.

Quote Originally Posted by omniusovermind View Post
    These edge of the screen swipe sidebar apps were a huge fad for me a few months ago but after the novelty wore off I kept finding that they weren't actually speeding up my time navigating the phone. It was no faster to use these apps than it was for me to keep an efficient homescreen and use Jellybean's existing and already excellent multitasking screen. That's not accounting for the number of times that the edge of screen swipe detection didn't pick up my input the first time. There was also the factor that in most of these apps, it's a 3-step process: Swipe the edge, and then scroll down the list for the desired app, then launch it. I can do that in 2 faster steps using Android itself: Either Press Home -> launch app or Press Multitasking -> launch app. It all depends how you set your homescreens up though. All of my regularly used apps are on my main screen along with calender/agenda widget and clock. I only use one screen. For those of you who have a ton of widgets spanning across multiple homescreens, I could see apps like these being somewhat more useful to use

For the record, I have used Glovebox, Swapps, Sidebar, Swipepad, and Wave Launcher over the course of half a year, which is a good and long period of time to come to this conclusion.
    "novelty wore off" - yes it does after a while but that's true with any apps. I use this app to showcase Android power to my iPhone friends(it always excites me)

I agree with all of your comments except 1 points.

" I can do that in 2 faster steps using Android itself" - have you had this situation where you couldn't find the app in app drawer, where you have to search for it alphabetically to even find the app? I keep regularly used app on the side bar so that i dont have to search through the app drawer.
    download a file using chrome and instantly open ES file explorer to view the file. these are some of my use cases

Quote Originally Posted by still1 View Post
    "novelty wore off" - yes it does after a while but that's true with any apps. I use this app to showcase Android power to my iPhone friends(it always excites me)
    Some apps, not any apps. The novelty never wears off for my useful apps like my workout tracker, maps, music, pics, tapatalk, flipboard, etc etc

" I can do that in 2 faster steps using Android itself" - have you had this situation where you couldn't find the app in app drawer, where you have to search for it alphabetically to even find the app? I keep regularly used app on the side bar so that i dont have to search through the app drawer.
    download a file using chrome and instantly open ES file explorer to view the file. these are some of my use cases
    As I said, it depends on the user and the user's setup. I have about 20 apps that I use almost daily, and all 20 of them are on my one single homescreen, between icons, the homescreen dock, and a couple of widgets. I very rarely use my app drawer.