Application to make free calls? (not wifi)

misterno123

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I heard people paying 2.99/month to Skype for free calling only to N America
Is there a free app to do the same?
I am not talking about wifi calling, I am talking about VOIP anywhere using TMobile prepaid plan with Nexus 4.

Any ideas?

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
I heard people paying 2.99/month to Skype for free calling only to N America
Is there a free app to do the same?
I am not talking about wifi calling, I am talking about VOIP anywhere using TMobile prepaid plan with Nexus 4.

Any ideas?

I'm confused... How is paying $2.99 being labeled as "free calling?"

Though I've only heard of apps that use WiFi for calling. Seeing as how you have to pay to have access to a data connection, I don't see a way one could have access to free VoIP calling.

misterno123

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Sorry for the confusion

What I meant was I need an app which will give me free calling not only wifi but anywhere thru internet.

I thought skype is doing that but there is a fee but I need it free.

Vibe is getting popular but it is only vibe to vibe. I want to call anywhere.

dbareis

Jan 15, 2010
Visit site
You realise that most if not all of the wifi apps will work on 3G (to some degree, probably fine on good fast connection anyway)? You will of course be paying for the 3G data.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Sorry for the confusion

What I meant was I need an app which will give me free calling not only wifi but anywhere thru internet.

I thought skype is doing that but there is a fee but I need it free.

Vibe is getting popular but it is only vibe to vibe. I want to call anywhere.

you cant call all country free via voip but you can make free calls to US/Canada using Google voice and the app called grooveip.

the reason why its not free is because carriers in most countries charge for incoming voip calls

misterno123

May 8, 2013
Visit site
you cant call all country free via voip but you can make free calls to US/Canada using Google voice and the app called grooveip.

the reason why its not free is because carriers in most countries charge for incoming voip calls

What do you mean it is not free?

I have been using google voice - groove ip for sometime and as long as you have wifi you can call US and Canada for free and unlimited.

My question is I need an app who can enable this feature when wifi is not available. Does this exist?

Skype is one example but they charge you 2.99 per month. I am looking for a free app.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site

I have been using google voice - groove ip for sometime and as long as you have wifi you can call US and Canada for free and unlimited.

My question is I need an app who can enable this feature when wifi is not available. Does this exist?

Skype is one example but they charge you 2.99 per month. I am looking for a free app.

I use groovip when not on wifi (on my regular cell connection), but mine is the paid version of the app, so you may have to spend some money. Speaking from someone who has used it, your signal strength is critical, and the call quality is still a bit hit or miss.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

i mean its free to make calls using GV/grooveip in US but outside US it costs money

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Nooooooo

I don't even know if there is a way to hack tower access. Those towers are paid for by the various networks. They are built and maintained by people, who then charge for access. Unless they give you access to them, you cannot use them.

misterno123

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I use groovip when not on wifi (on my regular cell connection), but mine is the paid version of the app, so you may have to spend some money. Speaking from someone who has used it, your signal strength is critical, and the call quality is still a bit hit or miss.

This is the answer I was looking for

So that means I pay 4.99 only once and then all my calls to mobile and landline will be free afterwards.

Now the question is, is there a better app than grooveip, I mean an app that will let me call all mobile and landline in US and Canada at a non wifi location?
How about Skype? I think Skype is 2.99 but you have to pay every month.

Tall Mike 2145

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm sorry, but this thread has just dragged on and droned on and on and on, and now it's gotten on my very last nerve.

To the O.P., you have repeatedly been given advice (including once already by me) that you can act on to accomplish what you very poorly phrased in your opening post. We keep telling you that you can use a VOIP app to accomplish what you're talking about, and we've even told you to go use GrooveIP. Repeatedly. What part of this don't you get?

Being able to call domestically or internationally has nothing... I repeat, NOTHING to do with what app you're using. It has everything to do with what is permitted on whatever telco networks you are making use of. Domestic telco networks let you use VOIP. If ones in other countries don't -- or they only let you use them for a fee -- then that is their problem and yours. It isn't ours. Go do some research on that; who knows, maybe you will be able to VOIP internationally.

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
This is the answer I was looking for

So that means I pay 4.99 only once and then all my calls to mobile and landline will be free afterwards.

Now the question is, is there a better app than grooveip, I mean an app that will let me call all mobile and landline in US and Canada at a non wifi location?
How about Skype? I think Skype is 2.99 but you have to pay every month.

I'm confused what you're looking for.

You have to pay a carrier to access their service towers. You don't need an app to make calls; people use apps for WiFi calling.

All it sounds like to me is you're looking for a free way to use a cell phone?

misterno123

May 8, 2013
Visit site
The subject says "no wifi"

How can I be more clear? And I never mentioned international did I? I am only interested in US and Canada

I am looking for an app that I can make calls for free or one time payment in a non wifi environment. I got unlimited data plan. So no problem with data usage.

Currently I am using bobsled but I am new so I don't have all the details.

Grooveip has been working fine but choppy quality, so trying t find better.

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
The subject says "no wifi"

How can I be more clear? And I never mentioned international did I? I am only interested in US and Canada

I am looking for an app that I can make calls for free or one time payment in a non wifi environment. I got unlimited data plan. So no problem with data usage.

Currently I am using bobsled but I am new so I don't have all the details.

Grooveip has been working fine but choppy quality, so trying t find better.

If you're looking for free it's not always going to be top notch quality. GrooVe IP or Talkatone with Google Voice are what you need. Quality may or may not be acceptable. I've found call quality to be quite good with GrooVe IP if I have a good 4G signal.

Google Voice calls are free at the moment, but that may not last forever. IIRC, Google was going to drop the free calls awhile ago, but decided to extend it for now. It could end anytime, then you'd pay like with Skype.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I have Groove IP+Google Voice. I have used it in the past, and it does work, but I would only use it as a "last resort" phone...it will not work like normal cell service. It is a bandaid, not a cure.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21