Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree151Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    Perma-rooted and unlocked

Default The Phone wars are over...Samsung just won

Galaxy S4 running stock Android was just announced. This is not a rooted S4, it is being sold that way apparently.

Default Re: The Phone wars are over...Samsung just won

The general public could care less.

HTC ONE ~ Android Central App

Not quite over! Not everyone likes vanilla android.
    Thanked by 2:
    Ry, BigDinCA, Topgonzo and 4 others like this.

Ya just saw this. Really excited to see this, finally a stock experience on another phone. I might buy one later this year.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

ROM

Quote Originally Posted by XavierMatt View Post
    The general public could care less.
    I suspect sales figures by this time next year will disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMercedes View Post
    Not quite over! Not everyone likes vanilla android.
    Until now they've had to reason to...the best phones never ran Vanilla Android. Now that we have a true flagship phone without being neutered by google, i think we will see a significant change.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    3,248 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.2

Quote Originally Posted by JeffDenver View Post
    Galaxy S4 running stock Android was just announced. This is not a rooted S4, it is being sold that way apparently.

Very few are going to spend $650 on a phone.
    Thanked by 4:
    raremage, yfan, mdlissner and 10 others like this.
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,203 Global Posts

At the end of 2013, I'd guess 1 out of every 1000 S4s sold will be "Google Edition" models.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
    Thanked by 4:

Quote Originally Posted by sting7k View Post
    Very few are going to spend $650 on a phone.
    That's probably true though this is a new development that enhances the vanilla Android world. Has to be a good thing.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:
    Air Force One and GKWANNABE like this.

This phone does good for the developer community but the general public doesn't care much nor are they following Google I/O. Geeks and devs will mostly but and they represent a very small population of Android users. You can put both Apple and Samsung's name on it and normal consumers will wait until they have an upgrade and buy a phone from their carrier LOL.
    Mobile Devices: Nexus 5 32GB Black
    Carrier: AT&T
    Computer: MacBook Pro (2012) 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD
    Other devices: iPad Mini

The Basics: Unlocking and Rooting - http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc...hing-roms.html
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

ROM

Quote Originally Posted by scorpiodsu View Post
    This phone does good for the developer community but the general public doesn't care much nor are they following Google I/O. Geeks and devs will mostly but and they represent a very small population of Android users. You can put both Apple and Samsung's name on it and normal consumers will wait until they have an upgrade and buy a phone from their carrier LOL.
    The Nexus 4 was already selling out, and it was worse than the S4 in most ways. This has everything the N4 had plus more options plus (most importantly) the Galaxy branding.

Now we will no longer have to compromise on features/options or having vanilla Android. We can have both.
    GKWANNABE likes this.

The N4 is $350, the S4 is $650.
    Advantage Nexus.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by 2:
    yfan, KwietStorm, Seggzy and 10 others like this.

The Nexus 4 was already selling out, and it was worse than the S4 in most ways. This has everything the N4 had plus more options plus (most importantly) the Galaxy branding.

Now we will no longer have to compromise on features/options or having vanilla Android. We can have both.
    Dude it was selling out because of shortages and dirt cheap not because it was selling millions on top of millions to the average joe. You sell a phone 1 way via online and only 1 carrier has it in their store. Please. People do not rush out to buy Nexus phones.... geeks do. But I agree with your last statement... we can have it both. But again, only geeks and smartphone enthusiasts care about that.
    Mobile Devices: Nexus 5 32GB Black
    Carrier: AT&T
    Computer: MacBook Pro (2012) 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD
    Other devices: iPad Mini

The Basics: Unlocking and Rooting - http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc...hing-roms.html
    gone down south likes this.

ROM
    4.1.2 stock JB

Lets not fight about which is better.. It's Android! We've clashed with iOS community for ages and won/// Now we're fighting within community! LOL!
    Thanked by:
    kleeno 
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

ROM

Quote Originally Posted by gone down south View Post
    The N4 is $350, the S4 is $650.
    Advantage Nexus.
    You get what you pay for.

The S4 is exactly the same price range as any flagship phone. My HTC Rezound was $700 retail when it came out.

I would be very interested as I have paid that for many phones. I do not wait for a contract renewal.

Edit: never mind. 16gb...ain't nobody got time for that! I will stick with my 32GB S4 with SD card.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337
    Lumia 925 w/Black, Nexus 5 (32GB), Moto X (32GB), Lumia 1020, Google Edition S4, Galaxy S4 (32GB), S4 Active, Nexus 4, Note 2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note (ATT), Galaxy Note Intl., Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, Nexus S, Atrix 2, Atrix, Galaxy S1 Captivate, Nexus 7 (32GB), iPad 4, Dell Venue Pro 8
    and yes...an iPhone 5 too...
    scorpiodsu and skiner5246 like this.

The nexus 4 came out six months before this s4 will. The S4 SHOULD be a better handset. The question is if its better enough to warrant $300 more dollars.

I would wager most consumers won't even give it a second look.
    KitN and xfinisherx123 like this.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

ROM

Quote Originally Posted by JHBThree View Post
    The nexus 4 came out six months before this s4 will. The S4 SHOULD be a better handset. The question is if its better enough to warrant $300 more dollars.
    It is now. All the reasons the S4 was barely ahead of the N4 were because of the Touchwiz pollution. Now there is nothing holding Samsung's awesome hardware back.

It's camera will be significantly better. It will have SD (as well as 8 gigs more internal memory) and an upgradable battery. It will be a full 1080p display with a significantly higher pixel density. It will have a much faster CPU. Yes, that is well worth that IMO. The retail price is comparable to any other flagship phone except the N4.
    GKWANNABE likes this.

It is now. All the reasons the S4 was barely ahead of the N4 were because of the Touchwiz pollution. Now there is nothing holding Samsung's awesome hardware back.

It's camera will be significantly better. It will have SD (as well as 8 gigs more internal memory) and an upgradable battery. It will be a full 1080p display with a significantly higher pixel density. It will have a much faster CPU. Yes, that is well worth that IMO. The retail price is comparable to any other flagship phone except the N4.
    Yeah I'm not convinced. I don't think the market will respond the way you think it will.
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

ROM

Quote Originally Posted by planoman View Post
    I would be very interested as I have paid that for many phones. I do not wait for a contract renewal.
    I don't either...now. Fortunately I have access to 0% financing through other sources.

I suspect T-Mobile will eventually finance this like they do their other phones...they are financing my N4 right now.

Sign me up!

Yes its vanilla Android on a high spec phone which is extremely awesome. I wouldn't downplay the Nexus 4 experience though, yes the camera sucks in comparison, but the phone is still a very good device and I'm enjoying it over my previous GS3 I still have. Again, a Galaxy phone with stock Android is awesome but I don't see myself jumping to the play store on June 26th to buy a GS4 for 649.99 just because of a 1080p screen or a better camera. $700 is a lot for a phone and I'm sure most would agree, thats why $199 for a GS4 on contract is the way to go for a lot of people.

How fast does Samsung update the OS (if ever)? One advantage, to me, would be to easily keep up w/ latest Android updates buy getting the Google version. I'm trying a Galaxy S4 now, and I've already disabled all the extra crap like air view, air gesture, etc. Since I'm new to Android, I don't know where the Samsung extras end though and the normal Android starts.

Ah, but what about OS updates? I will choose Nexus every time just for the updates alone.

ROM
    Super Beans n Kernels

Jeff, I know you're new to Android, but you're way off the mark on this one. 99% of the S4s you will ever see in the wild will not be running vanilla Android. The "few' that are will be running AOSP based roms. Secondly, if this was a Google edition HTC One you may be on to something, but I still wouldn't trade my N4 for the S4 based on build quality alone. The screen and procesor are very minor upgrades, and I'm quite happy with my camera. Oh, and please educate yourself a bit before the "get what you pay for comments"....the N4 is worth WAY more than Google sells it for. You get WAY more, and pay WAY less. Samsung isn't down with that sort of thing. Lastly, unless you've been undr a rock your entire life, you'd realize technology keeps plugging forward. The next crop of devices, imo especially the next Nexus, will trump this special edition S4 in every way. Then it'll be the S5/HTC One 2's turn for a few months...then the Nexus 6...so on and so forth.

Lastly, it's a waste of money on Tmobile/Att. If this was available on Verizon or Sprint then it would be a very big deal.
    Last edited by ConTejas; 05-15-2013 at 02:54 PM.

ROM
    KK 4.4.2

Quote Originally Posted by sw001 View Post
    How fast does Samsung update the OS (if ever)? One advantage, to me, would be to easily keep up w/ latest Android updates buy getting the Google version. I'm trying a Galaxy S4 now, and I've already disabled all the extra crap like air view, air gesture, etc. Since I'm new to Android, I don't know where the Samsung extras end though and the normal Android starts.
    Samsung is actually pretty good about updating their phones, but it will still be a few months after the initial announcement of a new version of the OS.

Personally I think this is good news for Android not because hey, stock on a GS4, but rather because it means we may see other phones with stock Android. Dimes to dollars you'll see a stock Motorola phone pop up on Google Play by the end of the year, too.

As for the vanilla SG4, it's neat but not an extra $300 neat. I'm willing to bet the next Nexus phone will best its specs for a superior price. For people who don't want to wait another six months and don't care about the $650 price tag, however, it's a perfectly good and viable alternative to the N4.
    raremage and ConTejas like this.
Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast