Google talk update (to hangouts)

ttwiitch

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
From what I can see, there is no way to tell if someone is active or available on the phone. All my icons look same no matter what. I don't use Google+, nor any of my contacts, so that may be a factor. I just did a video call with my wife and it worked great. At first she wasn't sure how to answer it, since that isn't clear on the screen. My only problem is we have to do it wifi since freaking AT&T has video calls blocked on their network.

You don't need to know if someone is online or not...if they have Hangouts (which most likely they do if they have Android) u just message them like if u were to via SMS.

Sent from my Galaxy S3?

sos710m

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
If they integrate SMS there would be no way to tell if that person was online.

The two most requested things, ability to see when someone is available and SMS integration can't work together.

I don't understand this. When I had the galaxy s, the contacts folder allowed me to see if the person was logged into Google so I could see whether or not they were available for video chat. I need to know, so that I don't wake up my husband while he's away on a trip and working strange hours, or my friends in Cali, when I forgot it is only 6am there and 9 here. Just because Facebook can't make it work, doesn't mean Google can't figure it out. Google has far too many messaging apps as it stands right now anyway. That's what they need to integrate. Quit wasting space with gtalk and g+ chat apps and unify that.

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
You don't need to know if someone is online or not...if they have Hangouts (which most likely they do if they have Android) u just message them like if u were to via SMS.

Sent from my Galaxy S3?

That blows. With Talk, it was nice to know if someone was online or not. This way, you know if you are going to get an immediate reply or not.

ttwiitch

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
That blows. With Talk, it was nice to know if someone was online or not. This way, you know if you are going to get an immediate reply or not.

I don't understand this. When I had the galaxy s, the contacts folder allowed me to see if the person was logged into Google so I could see whether or not they were available for video chat. I need to know, so that I don't wake up my husband while he's away on a trip and working strange hours, or my friends in Cali, when I forgot it is only 6am there and 9 here. Just because Facebook can't make it work, doesn't mean Google can't figure it out. Google has far too many messaging apps as it stands right now anyway. That's what they need to integrate. Quit wasting space with gtalk and g+ chat apps and unify that.

If he/she is online it doesn't mean they would answer either lol.

As far as video calling, message the person then after a reply u video call if ur worry is to interrupt someone on X thing that they might be doing.

Man ppl complain too much......and make excuses lol. Tooooo bad Cus I'm really enjoying Hangouts as is. Can't wait for SMS.

Sent from my Galaxy S3?

ysbg

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
For me it's not as much as knowing that someone will answer immediately, but making sure that I don't bother that person - for example if it's early in the morning, idle status might indicate that the person is still sleeping. But well, I'll adapt to the new information given.

ttwiitch

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Hangouts stopped working about 30 minutes ago....I thought I messed a setting up because i wasnt receiving any messages....and in fact is that it's getting updates rolled out tonight. I uninstalled it and went back to install it and it showed that both SMS and MMS integration is now (will be part of it, see attached pic). Guess it's here! Now just to pass this hiccup It's having 'cus its not working at all till that gets done! :thumbup:

Sent from my Galaxy S3?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1369191649989.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1369191649989.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 13

razzyjones

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
is there a way to hide phonebook/facebook contacts that aren't already using Hangouts ?? i'm really not into that long list of people to "invite" lol

also the second screen with contact photos and stuff.... i wish it looked more simple like one page and i can just add as i type and then just a second screen showing active conversations

feels a little cluttered right now

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX