Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    384 Global Posts

Default Google + hangouts Cant sign in.. [Updated with solution]

anyone else getting "couldn't sign in because we couldn't reach Google. try again?" I have updated from the web and I keep getting this message.

Posted via Android Central App

[UPDATE}

Thanks Mathew Paret

Yesterday, 11:44 PM #10
    Mathew Paret

Posts1 Posts
    Found a solution that works.

Use some app to take backup of Google Play Services (ES File Explorer can do it for you) and save the apk locally. This is recommended because after the next step you may not be able to connect and re-download the update over Mobile Data. It would work on WiFi however.
    Go to Manage Apps > Google Play Services
    Do "Uninstall" / "Uninstall Updates" for Google Play Services
    Google Hangout will automatically ask you to Install or Update Google Play Services.
    If you "Uninstalled Updates", then the app would update over Mobile Data when you click on update in Google Play. After this go to Step #8
    If you "Uninstalled" the app completely, you wouldn't find it in Google Play. So install it from the backup created in Step #1.
    Now go to Google Play and install any updates for Google Play Services.
    Now open Google Hangout. It may still show you a connection issue for a couple for times.
    Don't lose your heart. It should work after you try for a maximum of 1-2 times.
    Thank me and go ahead to chat with your girlfriend
    Last edited by Seven2k; 05-17-2013 at 10:36 AM.
    Thanked by 3:

Default Re: Google + hangouts

Yup.

Rooted VZW GS3 with CM 10.1
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    384 Global Posts

anyone get a fix or work around to make this work?

Yup. Just started for me this morning. Still no fix?

I really miss the Talk app.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

I still have the talk app no hangouts app. play.google.com gives me the option to open but it opens talk instead. Oh well, I only know a few people that actually use google+ sadly.

Same here

Cm10.1 RC2 - Nexus 4

Got it working. Here's what I did.

01. Boot to recovery.
    02. Clear data
    03. Clear cache
    04. Clear dalvik cache
    05. Re-flash ROM
    06. Flash gapps. (If a 4.2.2 ROM make sure you use correct Gapps)
    07. Fix permissions (just to be safe)
    08. boot system
    09. do your log in crap
    10. Go to computer (not phone), play store site, tell it to install to your phone, if your play store is not 4.1.6, it will ask you to update
    11. Hangouts will install, then say you need to up date play services, it will prompt you, say yes
    12. enjoy

Sorry it's such a hassle, at least it was for me.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Global Posts
    384 Global Posts

I'm not rooted... Running stock.

Thumbs up Re: Google + hangouts

1. Use some app to take backup of Google Play Services (ES File Explorer can do it for you) and save the apk locally. This is recommended because after the next step you may not be able to connect and re-download the update over Mobile Data. It would work on WiFi however.
    2. Go to Manage Apps > Google Play Services
    3. Do "Uninstall" / "Uninstall Updates" for Google Play Services
    4. Google Hangout will automatically ask you to Install or Update Google Play Services.
    5. If you "Uninstalled Updates", then the app would update over Mobile Data when you click on update in Google Play. After this go to Step #8
    6. If you "Uninstalled" the app completely, you wouldn't find it in Google Play. So install it from the backup created in Step #1.
    7. Now go to Google Play and install any updates for Google Play Services.
    8. Now open Google Hangout. It may still show you a connection issue for a couple for times.
    9. Don't lose your heart. It should work after you try for a maximum of 1-2 times.
    10. Thank me and go ahead to chat with your girlfriend
    Thanked by 4:
    Seven2k likes this.

Worked, thanks!

Beautiful. Uninstalling Updates for Google Play Services did the trick.

Hangouts then told me I had to update Google Play Services. This occurred, then hangouts logged in.

Thank you very much. This was driving me crazy.

Reboot.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Global Posts
    384 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mathew Paret View Post

1. Use some app to take backup of Google Play Services (ES File Explorer can do it for you) and save the apk locally. This is recommended because after the next step you may not be able to connect and re-download the update over Mobile Data. It would work on WiFi however.
    4. Google Hangout will automatically ask you to Install or Update Google Play Services.
    5. If you "Uninstalled Updates", then the app would update over Mobile Data when you click on update in Google Play. After this go to Step #8
    6. If you "Uninstalled" the app completely, you wouldn't find it in Google Play. So install it from the backup created in Step #1.
    8. Now open Google Hangout. It may still show you a connection issue for a couple for times.
    9. Don't lose your heart. It should work after you try for a maximum of 1-2 times.

Dude...I love you man!!!!
    Mathew Paret likes this.

Hasn't fixed the issue for me. I've tried opening Hangouts 5 times already. Is "1-2 times" a generalization? should I just keep retrying? anyone else having this issue after this seemingly fool-proof solution?
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Global Posts
    384 Global Posts

sorry...have you tried a reboot.

Quote Originally Posted by Seven2k View Post
    sorry...have you tried a reboot.
    Still no bueno... Might try a data wipe :-/

Default Re: Google + hangouts Cant sign in.. [Updated with solution]

Just go on Google Play services and clear data. That solved the problem for me.
    Thanked by:
    Loochmiester likes this.

Have you solved yours? I still keep getting the error..went as far as uninstalling all google apps and reupdating to no avail.
    Installed it on my old SGS with slimroms and it worked flawlessly..just cant figure out why it wont work on my note 2 with rooted stock rom.
    Last edited by Ralph Cortes; 05-20-2013 at 12:01 PM.

Tried that...cleared data..uninstalled update...still nada

Yeah, I'm still having problems too. If it makes any difference, the problem appeared after I switched to a new email address.

Edit: Well, this morning I tried it and it worked without doing anything...weird.
    Last edited by Dominik Martinez; 05-21-2013 at 08:03 PM.

it doesn't work for me
    still cannot sign in hangout and hangout does not ask about update playstore
    the error is "Couldn't sign in because we couldn't reach Google. Try again"
    *i have uninstalled update playstore and i have rebooted my phone. My internet connection run well.
    btw i cannot uninstall google play service, it just option disable and force stop.

While the 10 steps from Seven2k and Mathew Paret are good (thanks to them too), Carlo3u simplified it for me by just clearing data on Google Play Services and rebooting. That's what solved my problem! Thanks Carlo3u!

Thank you so much, I flashed Slim Bean rom onto my Samsung Galaxy S3 (Sprint) and I couldn't get Hangouts to sign in, this worked first try. Thank you again, I made this account just to do so.

My galaxy player is factory, no rom or root has been installed, and I'm still getting the "Can't sign in" message. It's the second time it's done this. The first time, I had to factory reset the unit. I'm trying to avoid doing this again. Any thoughts on how to work around this? I've booted into recovery and cleared the cache, but that's all I can do on stock recovery. I've thought of installing a rom which would maybe fix this, but then I lose the usage of my camera and/or video camera, and we do use this a lot.

Thanks for your input.

Tried this with no luck
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast