iPhone 5 / Nexus 4 Sim Card Question

kilcher

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
I've always been an iPhone user but I'm curious to try Android. Looks like a Nexus 4 can be had for about $250. From what I understand the iPhone uses a nanosim and the Nexus uses a microsim. And I believe there's an adaptor to make the nanosim fit in the Nexus. What I would like to do is use both phones, just swapping the sim into whichever phone I want to use. Is that possible? Or does my carrier have to do something on their end. I have AT&T if that matters.

If it's too much trouble I won't bother but if it's as easy as swapping the sim (with an adaptor) then I'd do that no problem.

Bl00dRunzC0ld

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
You could do that. The only thing I see as being a possible problem is that AT&T considers the iPhone data plan to be different then the 4g data plan. You might want to ask them about the data plans. You wouldn't want to have to change plans every time you swap your sim.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I would say that almost every thread I've seen in the N4 forum about someone getting there SIM card stuck in their N4 is an iphone user that has the card in an adapter. I guess that adapter is a really tight fit in this phone.

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I use both an iPhone 5 and a Nexus 4 and purchased this adapter kit from amazon:

Amazon.com: Nano SIM Adapter Kit for iPhone 5/4/4S Black: Cell Phones & Accessories

I was initially hesitant after the reports of SIM cards getting stuck and what not, but this kit has given me zero problems when switching between the two phones. I am also on AT&T and haven't had any problems service wise. Obviously coming from LTE to hspa+ is a bit cumbersome, but for me the service on the Nexus 4 is adequate. Just make sure you search the forums and find the appropriate APN settings and you should be good to go.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Problems with SIM adapters are most often from the SIM not seating tightly in the adapter frame, or the frame lacking rigidity. Flex of the frame or loose fit are what cause the SIM to "grab" the pins.

This problem becomes harder to adjust for when you have a SIM drawer (like on the N4) as opposed to an exposed slot where you can easily slide the SIM back into the seat, adjust the fit within the adapter and make another ejection attempt.

Enclosed SIM Drawer (Nexus 4):
nexus-4-micro-sim.jpg

Exposed SIM Slot (Galaxy Nexus):
440x330-samsung-galaxy-nexus-battery-cover2.jpg

A top quality SIM adapter would be a must. I'd research that part very hard.