Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Yahoo email not working with Email app

This past week, I went from my Yahoo email syncing with my Email app, to not being able to connect at all. I keep getting notifications stating it can't log in. It would work sporadically but I would usually get an error. When I checked the settings, I kept getting a "username and/or password incorrect". However they are NOT incorrect. I can log in via Chrome, or from my computer at home. Power cycling the phone doesn't help. I tried deleting the account and re-adding it, but I get the same username/password error.

Default Re: Yahoo email not working with Email app

I had the same problem too!! It kept asking me for my password and I kept typing it correctly. I finally gave up and deleted the accts and redownloaded the Yahoo mail app...problem solved.

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk

I think this has to do with that recent update. My email app has become useless too.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Update to what?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    77 Global Posts

use the official Yahoo Mail App. Its awesome.
    gnr_2 likes this.

By chance, did you have it setup as a smpt account? Yahoo only gives smpt accounts to it's premium users. You have to set it up as a pop3 account. My wife uses Yahoo email and I had it setup as smpt. Despite not having a premium account, Yahoo let it slide for the longest before not too long ago blocking it out. I set it up as a pop3 account but it didn't seem to function as well, so I downloaded the app for her and that has worked out better.

The only reason I wanted to use the native email app is because Im able to assign the notification sound using something from zedge. With the Yahoo app Im limited to what they offer amd its not much.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Global Posts
    798 Global Posts

Same thing happened to me when connected to my T-Mo network. When i got home though, everything worked fine with my home wifi. I just had to delete and put it again.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by fernandezhjr View Post
    By chance, did you have it setup as a smpt account? Yahoo only gives smpt accounts to it's premium users. You have to set it up as a pop3 account. My wife uses Yahoo email and I had it setup as smpt. Despite not having a premium account, Yahoo let it slide for the longest before not too long ago blocking it out. I set it up as a pop3 account but it didn't seem to function as well, so I downloaded the app for her and that has worked out better.
    Judging from the outgoing settings, it shows an address with "SMTP" in it so I am assuming its set up as such. Is there a way to set it up as a pop3 account?

wildmangk likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sonicresidue View Post
    Judging from the outgoing settings, it shows an address with "SMTP" in it so I am assuming its set up as such. Is there a way to set it up as a pop3 account?

I second that

Sent from my Nexus 4

http://help.yahoo.com/kb/index?page=..._GB&id=SLN4724
    Apparently smtp is ok for outgoing, just can't be incoming.
    Thanked by 2:

Quote Originally Posted by fernandezhjr View Post
    I thought we where trying to stay away from SMTP?

Just tried setting up with those settings and its stays thinking on verifying incoming server settings. I think the email app is doneso.

14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

My phone doesn't like those settings. No luck Maybe I should just switch everything to gmail. I'm getting pretty fed up with yahoo anyway.

My phone doesn't like those settings. No luck Maybe I should just switch everything to gmail. I'm getting pretty fed up with yahoo anyway.

True that...its been really unreliable lately

Like I said, I was able to get it working again, but it was hit and miss. I ended up downloading the Yahoo app and no problems since. Apparently Yahoo wants you to use the app. When I get a chance I may dig around and see if I can find what settings the app uses because that info is not available with in the settings menu of the app.

That's one thing I really missed about my BlackBerry. The email is so so reliable.

Posted via Android Central App

I believe this is a recent Yahoo issue as the same thing starting happening to me the last few days trying to access my Yahoo account using my desktop Thunderbird email program. Deleting and resetting my Yahoo passwords fixed the problem, so try a similar thing or reinstall the app on your phone.

Default Re: Yahoo email not working with Email app: FIXED

Ok, so this was seriously pissing me off. After the release of the Yahoo android email app, the standard email went tits-up and refused to work with Yahoo mail. And I pay Ms. Meyers and crew $20 per year for "premium" service.

The reality is that Yahoo apparently futzed with the settings just enough to make everyones android-native-yahoo-imap-mail break just as they released their new app. I noticed a steady increase of failed login attempts as the release date of the Yahoo native mail app approached. When it finally was released, their mail on Android stock client just completely stopped working. My guess is they migrated the actual DNS from imap.yahoo.com -> imap.mail.yahoo.com (or similar), and completed the change "coincidently" when the new app was released. This is a really dirty trick on the part of Yahoo, and I am seriously pissed about the service and how they have treated me. They are going to have to work hard to gain my confidence and good will again.

I did download the Yahoo app and I like it, but it apparently sucks my battery like a wino sucks night train - that's my theory anyway, and I would like to test it out! Also, I really like to use the Email widget on a home screen to quickly glance at my email. Yahoo does not provide such a widget to my knowledge. So here is the answer for all Premium users who want IMAP without the overhead of the Yahoo dedicated app:

1. Delete your account from the Android email app
    2. Add the account again, but this time, click on "Manual Installation"
    3. Use these settings:

What Are the Yahoo! Mail SMTP Settings? - About Email
    What Are the Yahoo! Mail IMAP Settings? - About Email

4. Delete the Yahoo dedicated app if you would like to see how it affects your battery life.

Peace out (drops the mic) - Mike
    Marie King likes this.

Default Re: Yahoo email not working with Email app: FIXED

Use Gmail, it works great.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

Which is exactly what I did this week. Just switched everything to gmail and will use yahoo for a throw away account if I need it.

No it's not. It's less reliable than the stock email folder.

Android seems to suck when it comes to Yahoo email. I think Google does it on purpose. They want us all to go gmail.

Posted from my Nexus 4 via Android Central App
    paisley99 likes this.

Yup, mine (Nexus 4) also stopped right after the Yahoo app was released (and I do not have the Yahoo premium service...big surprise there, right?). Anyway, same error messages as other folks noted, saying "logon and id incorrect" or "connection to server failed" (it still works on my Nexus 7 over wi-fi though.....). Anyway, I tried manually changing the port numbers to settings I found online (also as noted above) and moving between SMTP and IMAP. I got it working, but a few days later it stopped again. Now some days it works and some days it doesn't. I downloaded the Yahoo app (which always works), but I do have diminished battery life and I get duped messages when the yahoo email through the Nexus 4 begins working again.

Here are the settings on my Nexus 4 manual mail setup for Yahoo that work as of today :

incoming:
    imap.mail.yahoo.com
    port: 993
    security: SSL/TLS (accept all certifications)

outgoing:
    smtp.mail.yahoo.com
    port: 465
    security: SSL/TLS

Hope this helps.

Global Posts
    798 Global Posts

OK, I just found the answer to this problem.

All you have to do is remove the "android." from the IMAP server in incoming settings and also from SMTP server in outgoing settings. Make sure you do it one by one and make sure it is saved.

Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast