New Nexus4 Shutsdown itself

Khorenp

May 19, 2013
Visit site
Hi,
I purchased my new Nexus 4 5 days ago,i am having shutdown by itself problem.this is the 3rd time in 5 days.
i called their service department they told me its normal its for security reasons :) security of what?no answer.

i am very disappointed what to do?do i return back or its a known bug?i do not want mt phone to go off specially if i am waiting an important call.

any help advise appreciated,

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
It's likely that an app is causing this. If it were my phone, I'd uninstall all of the apps I downloaded myself and do a factory reset, then see how it runs for a few days. You can always re-add the apps slowly and see if the problem reoccurs with any one new app in particular.

frenziedfemale

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I agree with grey, a factory reset should be your first course of action. There is no legitimate reason for the phone to turn its self off, security or otherwise. If it persists I would send it in for RMA. I never turn my phone off and it never turns off on its own.

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Even if it was a known bug, it would still not be acceptable. You fail to mention if you bought it from T-Mobile or the Playstore. For now, I would try what the other poster suggested.

Khorenp

May 19, 2013
Visit site
i removed all installed apps I had just a few.i did disabled daydream to off.

how do i update to the latest version?
android version says 4.2.2 on my phone

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
how do i do factory reset?will i lose all my email setting?

You will have to restart almost from scratch...

Do you have Google backing up your data?
Settings > Backup & reset > Check Backup my data and select Google account to back up to. Check Automatic restore.

Wait for a notification that the backup is done.

Settings > Backup & reset > Factory data reset > Reset Phone

After a reboot you will then sign in to your Google Account as you did when you first set up the phone. Google will then restore some of your data, but not all.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Who did you call for customer service? To say that a phone would shut itself down constantly for security reasons is a blatant lie. This activity is not normal and I would suggest the above suggested factory reset.

Khorenp

May 19, 2013
Visit site
nexus 4 tech support person said its normal this behavior :) do you think it's better if i return and ask for new one or do factory reset?i just got the phone on Tuesday.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
nexus 4 tech support person said its normal this behavior :) do you think it's better if i return and ask for new one or do factory reset?i just got the phone on Tuesday.

Try a factory reset first. If you get a new phone you'll lose your data anyways.

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

yubeie

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
If you are noticing reboot issues with pure stock ROM with NO new apps installed from the market...I think you should probably RMA it.
Alternatively, you can run another test by flashing the stock ROM by downloading it from the Google dev website..assuming you are comfortable with the process??

Hope this helps!

yubeie

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
it did happen again yesterday :( what else can i do?is this a defect or all nexus 4 owners are having this issue?

Nope..I've not experienced a single reboot in 4months of my ownership..I cannot state it is a "defect". Reboots could happen due to software (or) hardware.
Since stock ROM is pretty stable with no external apps installed from the market..if the reboots are happening on your phone with PURE stock ROM..it "could" be hardware...hence the suggestion to RMA..rather than going through the hassle of trying to isolate the problem.

Good Luck and hope you resolve the issue!

Khorenp

May 19, 2013
Visit site
i called tech support they told me to run on safemode to see if it will happen again.
i guess i need to run a week to see if it will do again.

Khorenp

May 19, 2013
Visit site
one thing i have noticed.
when i turn off the phone and restart it takes 3sec to press the power button to restart.
when it shuts off itself takes 7sec to restart.
i do not know what that means.

thank you