Experts review LG Nexus 4. See what they have to say

gorwani12

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
What do the experts say about the handset?

Nathan Olivarez-Giles over at Wired: ?Thoughtfully designed hardware displays a quality of finish that can compete with the best rival smartphones. Big 4.7-inch screen is crisp, detailed and beautiful. Quad-core processor and 2GB of RAM give it power to spare. NFC and wireless charging show Google pushing new platforms forward. Bargain pricing for an unlocked beast of a phone, with the latest Android, directly from Google, with no delays from carriers or hardware makers. No LTE connectivity means the Nexus 4 is confined to slower, older mobile networks. No micro SD card slot or expandable storage of any sort.The rear speaker isn?t very loud and doesn?t sound very good.?

CNET?s Lynn La: ?While the LG Nexus 4 wins on internal performance and user experience, anyone shopping for an unlocked phone should consider a comparable LTE handset first.?

Walt Mossberg from the Wall St Journal: ?Overall, the Nexus 4 is a good phone, with especially good prices for unlocked versions. But I?d advise Android buyers to consider other models with LTE, better speakers, and the ability to add more memory and work on all carriers.?

Brad Molen at Engadget said: ?Sure, the Nexus 4 is not without its hiccups, but none of its predecessors have been perfect, either. And given the boost in real-world performance, the better camera and various other new features, it?s even more tempting than all those previous devices whose shoes it?s trying to fill. In a case like this?you have our permission not to resist.?

Source: Sidhtech

frenziedfemale

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I only read this because I was really curious as to what makes one a cellphone "expert". I am pretty sure my teenage son has solid credentials in this subject.....career option maybe.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Reports in media are only one source of research... Side by side comparison of specs, consumer reviews, knowledge about your phone use... There are a lot of factors that should go into a phone purchase, especially if it is off contract.

Personally, I place media reports pretty far down the list. Tongues always wag, though not always correctly.

CoMoNexus

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
I reviewed phones for a few years. Part of the challenge is that many pros and cons don't become noticeable until you've spent at least a week living with a phone, but there's rarely that much time available for reasons such as publishing deadlines and availability of review units.

As a result, reviewers often rely too much on specs, which don't always tell the full story. For example, some phones have a smaller (mAh-wise) battery but last longer than ones with a bigger battery because the processor and/or firmware are more efficient. But the reviewer doesn't know that unless he/she has used the phone for a week or more, enough to go through several discharge cycles.

snookasnoo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Experts? Hardly. Plus they have their biases and commercial (ads) interests in mind. If you want expert reviews try this one;

AnandTech | Print Google Nexus 4 Review - Google's new Flagship

Nathan Olivarez-Giles over at Wired: ?Thoughtfully designed hardware displays a quality of finish that can compete with the best rival smartphones. Big 4.7-inch screen is crisp, detailed and beautiful. Quad-core processor and 2GB of RAM give it power to spare. NFC and wireless charging show Google pushing new platforms forward. Bargain pricing for an unlocked beast of a phone, with the latest Android, directly from Google, with no delays from carriers or hardware makers. No LTE connectivity means the Nexus 4 is confined to slower, older mobile networks. No micro SD card slot or expandable storage of any sort.The rear speaker isn?t very loud and doesn?t sound very good.?

CNET?s Lynn La: ?While the LG Nexus 4 wins on internal performance and user experience, anyone shopping for an unlocked phone should consider a comparable LTE handset first.?

Walt Mossberg from the Wall St Journal: ?Overall, the Nexus 4 is a good phone, with especially good prices for unlocked versions. But I?d advise Android buyers to consider other models with LTE, better speakers, and the ability to add more memory and work on all carriers.?

Brad Molen at Engadget said: ?Sure, the Nexus 4 is not without its hiccups, but none of its predecessors have been perfect, either. And given the boost in real-world performance, the better camera and various other new features, it?s even more tempting than all those previous devices whose shoes it?s trying to fill. In a case like this?you have our permission not to resist.?

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site

Those dumb reviewers...havn't they read all the fanboy posts on Android Central? No one wants SD expansion or removable batteries. Less options is better.

BuffOrange

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
Those dumb reviewers...havn't they read all the fanboy posts on Android Central? No one wants SD expansion or removable batteries. Less options is better.

The main reason I want it is so you stop trolling every single thread about it.
Seriously. The theory that it was the best phone for you in spite of those things gets harder to believe by the day/hour.
I want a 5'11" brunette so let me complain for the next 8 years as I marry a 5'4" blonde.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
If they give it to me I will promise to stop trolling about it. Not a second sooner.

Mostly I just want fanboys to stop with the denial...this is obviously a feature people want. And it is not ok to take it away.

raremage

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
If they give it to me I will promise to stop trolling about it. Not a second sooner.

Mostly I just want fanboys to stop with the denial...this is obviously a feature people want. And it is not ok to take it away.

Just because it's not perfect doesn't make it a bad phone. And seriously, no one is twisting your arm, forcing you to buy one. The N4 is a Great phone for what it is, at a bargain price.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Just because it's not perfect doesn't make it a bad phone. And seriously, no one is twisting your arm, forcing you to buy one.
Just like no one is twisting your arm forcing you to reply to my posts or even read them. It does go both ways. This is a Nexus 4 forum, and I am talking about the Nexus 4.

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site

Gee, when u gonna quit being a whimsy crybaby about this already. Trade the phone or go beg mommy and daddy to buy you different one.

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
As soon as you quit crying about people posting stuff you don't like. Place me on ignore already. LOL

You made your point long ago. You want a sd card slot and changeable battery. Well, guess what, you ain't got it and you ain't gonna get it now unless you change phones. Any smart person would have done their research before hand and known that.

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Based on the reviewers, the consensus is that if a phone doesn't have LTE it is basically worthless. Those reviewers should realize that only a small percentage of the landscape has LTE and that is mainly in major metro areas. How about a non biased review for those don't have and/or care about LTE. Call me stupid, but HSPA+ seems plenty fast for me. The only gripe they are spot on with is the speaker volume and quality. Hello custom kernel.

omniusovermind

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Just like no one is twisting your arm forcing you to reply to my posts or even read them. It does go both ways. This is a Nexus 4 forum, and I am talking about the Nexus 4.

True but you spend an almost obsessive amount of time evangelizing the S4 which I have to admit confuses me in light of another post of yours which I agree with:

The newest phones out now are only incrementally better than the Nexus. The One has a slightly better CPU and display and a lot of people consider it's build quality the best. The S4 has a better CPU and has SD and removable battery. Both have slightly better cameras.

Unless those things matter to you, go with the Nexus. The differences are not night and day IMO. The Nexus is far more likely to see support 2 years from now. The Nexus has a great display by any standard, and a fast Quad core CPU. Best of all, it also has vanilla android.

I get the feeling that you're trying to convince yourself via feedback here to buy the S4. It's tech addiction, I get it, I have it too. If I were in your shoes, and I kind of am, I'd curb your urge to upgrade to an incrementally better phone and wait for the Fall 2013 releases. If you're hesitant and fence-sitting about the S4 or any phone for that matter, that's a pretty good indication you won't really be happy doing it. I'm personally waiting for something significantly better than my N4 before I bite because I don't want 2 phones so similar. Even then I'm not selling my N4 because it's always smart to own a backup rather than rely on a temporary "replacement" phone for possible repairs

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I get the feeling that you're trying to convince yourself via feedback here to buy the S4.
If so it's a little late. I already bought it over a week ago. It was the best option available. It is very possible I will be trading up for the Google S4 in August. It would be nice not to have to sacrifice SD and upgradable battery just to get Vanilla Android.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
  • Wired review: November 2, 2012. Score: 9/10, "nearly flawless, buy it now."
  • CNET review: November 2, 2012. Score: 3.5/5, "very good"
  • WSJ (Mossberg) review: November 6, 2012. Video review, no score (didn't bother watching it myself)
  • Engadget review: November 2, 2012. No score, positive review.
So why did you post excerpts from reviews almost seven months old?

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
  • Wired review: November 2, 2012. Score: 9/10, "nearly flawless, buy it now."
  • CNET review: November 2, 2012. Score: 3.5/5, "very good"
  • WSJ (Mossberg) review: November 6, 2012. Video review, no score (didn't bother watching it myself)
  • Engadget review: November 2, 2012. No score, positive review.
So why did you post excerpts from reviews almost seven months old?

This was in Wired's review:

TIRED No LTE connectivity means the Nexus 4 is confined to slower, older mobile networks. No micro SD card slot or expandable storage of any sort. The rear speaker isn?t very loud and doesn?t sound very good.

Review: Google Nexus 4 Android Smartphone by LG

Wired apparently agrees that the lack of SD is not an asset.