Experts review LG Nexus 4. See what they have to say

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
So 6% of nerds, who represent approximately 1-2% of people in general .... around .09% of people think that's the most important feature is storage. Almost 2/3rd between OS and battery life. Not scientific and doesn't teach us what normal people think, but very interesting.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
You two are hoping to find a poll of the general smart-device consumer base asking specifically what importance they place on having external storage capabilities. We get it. As far as I'm aware, those polls don't exist, for the same reason that communities like Android Central are made up largely of the enthusiast crowd: the general consumer base does not have much interest in finding and participating in such polls, and most consumers who end up at sites like this (not to mention Rootz/XDA) are seeking help. We're more interested in such data than they are. The polls people have posted in this thread are obviously not representative of the true consumer relevance, but unless you find a focus group or case study done by a leading Android manufacturer, you won't find data that is properly representative of said relevance.

You can either accept that the existing data doesn't cover all the bases, so to speak, or you can try to extrapolate relevant conclusions based on the enthusiast crowd's opinions. The general consumer market and the enthusiast market are different, but they are not mutually exclusive.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
So since the leading single factor is apparently battery life, why is the N4 more coveted than the Razer Maxx HD?

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
So since the leading single factor is apparently battery life, why is the N4 more coveted than the Razer Maxx HD?

Because a significant portion of the people answering that poll are likely those who prefer stock Android and unlocked, unaltered devices. The Nexus 4 offers good battery life. It's not as great as the RAZR MAXX devices, sure, but it's a great upgrade from its AOSP predecessor, the Galaxy Nexus.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Because a significant portion of the people answering that poll are likely those who prefer stock Android and unlocked, unaltered devices. The Nexus 4 offers good battery life. It's not as great as the RAZR MAXX devices, sure, but it's a great upgrade from its AOSP predecessor, the Galaxy Nexus.

So that poll would be interesting to see with people picking and ranking their top 3 considerations. See how many of the battery people would have picked OS as 2nd, etc. We need massive data! lol

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
So that poll would be interesting to see with people picking and ranking their top 3 considerations. See how many of the battery people would have picked OS as 2nd, etc. We need massive data! lol

Back in December I considered launching a site/service dedicated specifically to collecting and analyzing data about the mobile industry. Never did follow up on the concept though. Way too many projects and much too little time.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Back in December I considered launching a site/service dedicated specifically to collecting and analyzing data about the mobile industry. Never did follow up on the concept though. Way too many projects and much too little time.

The data collection would be pretty monster, especially trying to keep it honest and trying to get a wide enough sample size... hard to get people to take surveys about stuff they don't care about.

CoMoNexus

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
You two are hoping to find a poll of the general smart-device consumer base asking specifically what importance they place on having external storage capabilities. We get it. As far as I'm aware, those polls don't exist

They exist. You're just going to have to pay an analyst firm $5,000 to $30,000 to get that research. That cost is why you rarely see more than a few data points from those studies in the public domain.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
They exist. You're just going to have to pay an analyst firm $5,000 to $30,000 to get that research. That cost is why you rarely see more than a few data points from those studies in the public domain.

The studies are also able to be very specific; what kinds of icons people like, how screen animations should look, menu designs, widget functionality, etc. etc.

My preferences are simple: stock, lean, fast and I don't want to have to think about battery life or micromanage anything on it unless I want to. I'm not going to swap batteries. I want my data to sync seamlessly between all of my devices (love Google for making that happen) and I want everything to be customizable, especially what buttons/gestures exist and what they do, etc. I like durability and a sleek design; I want it to be something I enjoy holding and interacting with.

For me Nexus does it, but some reviewers disagree. *shrug* guess that's why I'm not a reviewer.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site

Exactly. I've done deep market analysis in my work for T-Mobile in the past, but we just don't have access to those resources for comparisons at the online community level.

If only. :p

CoMoNexus

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
I want my data to sync seamlessly between all of my devices (love Google for making that happen)

Same here. I have an iMac, a MacBook Air and an iPad, and yet I use Google rather than iCloud to sync calendars, contacts, bookmarks and browsing history across all of my devices. My only wish is that Google Calendar and Outlook 2011 could sync in both directions so I could just accept meeting invitations rather than having to go another step and create a duplicate for Calendar.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shao61