configuring google voice and text messaging

marathondroid

May 13, 2013
Visit site
I received my RMA replacement Google Nexus 4 phone today.
I am on T-Mobile prepaid 100 , 5 GB and unlimited text message for $30 plan.

My primary phone will be Skype and I have set my ported number from my now ported to GV AT&T number (area code 706) to ring my Skype number (area code 484). Configuring Skype so it would only ring for the 706 number and not every scam auto caller took some work with Skype technical support as GV is VoIP and not a real number.

My remaining challenge is configuring text messaging. I'd like to have texts go out and in to my 706 number on Google Voice versus my T-Mobile number (720). I downloaded GV integrator and was able to get this setup successfully on the old phone but not the new one. At present, I can send my text messages and it will show up for recipients as coming from the 706 number.

However, I am unable to get incoming messages sent to the 706 number to be forwarded to my T-Mobile phone (720). The calls to 706 are correctly routing to and from my Skype number (484), which is designated as "mobile number" in Google Voice settings.

The received text messages are not being passed along to the 720 cell phone, rather they are just remaining as messages within the Google voice web interface. What settings do I need to tweak/boxes checked to get the messages onto the 720 phone via forwarding?

Thanks!

skyrockett

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
so complected! Why don't you drop this whole Skype,Gvoice and use Viber. I found it to be much easier to save minutes... yes you limited to viber network but most of my friends have it,, if don't i force them!

marathondroid

May 13, 2013
Visit site
Okay, that was a mouthful yesterday - let me try to streamline the description of the problem.

A friend sends me a text message at my 706 area code number (which is subsequently linked to my cell phone successfully via Google Voice).

However, when they send me a text message, THEIR number shows up as a number completely foreign to us. For instance, I send a text message to a friend with a Georgia number, it goes through Google voice successfully. When they reply however, it comes in as showing their name but a Louisiana phone number (which is certainly not theirs, but something Google creates). I can't directly reply to them as the return number is a "junk" number.

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Okay, that was a mouthful yesterday - let me try to streamline the description of the problem.

A friend sends me a text message at my 706 area code number (which is subsequently linked to my cell phone successfully via Google Voice).

However, when they send me a text message, THEIR number shows up as a number completely foreign to us. For instance, I send a text message to a friend with a Georgia number, it goes through Google voice successfully. When they reply however, it comes in as showing their name but a Louisiana phone number (which is certainly not theirs, but something Google creates). I can't directly reply to them as the return number is a "junk" number.

That is not the way google voice works for me. If I send a text thru google voice, the recipient sees my google voice number. When they reply I see there regular number, which is the one I sent to.

marathondroid

May 13, 2013
Visit site
That is what I was seeing on my original nexus phone setup. They would see my google voice number when I texted them and I would see theirs when they replied. That was on my original nexus phone setup. Since returning that phone due to technical problems and receiving a new one, my Google Voice is still sending out my number to the recipient but when they write me it shows their name (as a contact), but a junk number assigned by Google Voice. There is some trick I have to do, perhaps adding MY number as a contact in my phone to get around this. Any ideas?

This describes the problem - what I am seeing on my end is not my sender's phone number, but rather the "middle number" Google Voice utilizes to bridge the connection.
http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...t-showing-recipients-caller-id-nexus-4-a.html

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38