iOS experiement over - back to Nexus

bucketheadmn

Feb 23, 2010
Visit site
So I had to try iOS for a year - spent the last year with a 4S. Had to see what everyone was raving out and see if the grass is greener over there. While there are some nice things about iOS and the 4S I am looking forward to getting back into the Nexus fold. Left a NS4G and my new Nexus 4 is shipping out today!

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Yes welcome back:) I did basically the same thing. After starting my smartphone journey with Blackberry back in the day, I spent two years on Android and just had to see what the fuss was all about with the iphone. It took me about six months to really burn out with how limited ios was. I try not to knock ios because for what it is it's near perfect. If people want a simple, controlled environment that works for just what they needs it's great, but for people who like to tinker and push their device with new options Android is the way to go. Again, welcome back!

CoMoNexus

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
I got an iPad 1 shortly after it came out but had an Android smartphone. The iPad is a great device, but iOS didn't impress me enough to switch to the iPhone when my contract expired. In fact, the N4 experience has been so positive that I'll probably get an N10 or whatever its successor is.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I got an iPad 1 shortly after it came out but had an Android smartphone. The iPad is a great device, but iOS didn't impress me enough to switch to the iPhone when my contract expired. In fact, the N4 experience has been so positive that I'll probably get an N10 or whatever its successor is.
The Nexus 7 is the best tablet I have ever used. It is what made me want a Nexus 4 in the first place. The entire experience is so smooth and fluid and intuitive. It feels like what Android would be like on an Apple device.

bucketheadmn

Feb 23, 2010
Visit site
One of the reasons I tried the iPhone is I have a MBP and a ipad. I will be looking at picking a N7 up in the near future as the 7 inch form factor is something I would like. The customizing and the lack of sharing between apps/sand boxing finally drove me mad.

The one thing that I think I will miss is the camera, it looks like it is quite a bit better than the N4.

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
What were some of your observations about iOS versus android?

Personally I've had both a iPhone 4 and I own a iPad mini. I then upgraded to a iPhone 5, but sold it a month or two later because I was hearing so many positive things about current android.

While I do t believe android is perfect, I think I'm going to stick with it. I think android is more future looking than iOS and apple are it now, and that gets me excited. I'm really looking forward to the next nexus 7 being released (hopefully soon) to give that a go.

Honestly, some of it has to do with budget as well. I like that android tablets are usually cheaper.

Although, I'll still take a MacBook over a windows laptop any damn day. Heck, if Macs actually had a compelling gaming ecosystem I'd probably go that as well. For everything other than games I think macs are better.

bucketheadmn

Feb 23, 2010
Visit site
What were some of your observations about iOS versus android?

Limited is the biggest thing. There is really only one way to do things and that is the Apple way - unless you jailbreak. I never did Jailbreak as I did not want to have to deal with not being able to update without fear of breaking it. The one positive though is directly related to how controlling Apple is with apps - they are all polished looking and for the most part provide a consistent user experience. I would not hesitate to recommend iOS to someone who does not want to tinker around and is looking for something easy to use.

nelschroeder

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Can't say I've had a full iOS experience as I've only owned an iPod Touch. It's basically an iPhone without the phone. However, I've used Android for over 2 years starting with a Nexus S then the Galaxy Nexus and now with a Nexus 7. Aside from having all my music purchased through iTunes I have absolutely no reason to go with iOS. To switch over to Google Play would cost too much to have to repurchase all I have so I'll stay with the iPod for music but that's it. I'm not impressed enough to think I would get anything with an iPhone that I don't already have or more. I don't think I'll stray from Nexus at all. I love both my phone and tablet. IMHO iPhones and iPads are way over priced and over rated.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

bucketheadmn

Feb 23, 2010
Visit site
Can't say I've had a full iOS experience as I've only owned an iPod Touch. It's basically an iPhone without the phone. However, I've used Android for over 2 years starting with a Nexus S then the Galaxy Nexus and now with a Nexus 7. Aside from having all my music purchased through iTunes I have absolutely no reason to go with iOS. To switch over to Google Play would cost too much to have to repurchase all I have so I'll stay with the iPod for music but that's it. I'm not impressed enough to think I would get anything with an iPhone that I don't already have or more. I don't think I'll stray from Nexus at all. I love both my phone and tablet. IMHO iPhones and iPads are way over priced and over rated.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

You can use the Google Music app to upload your iTunes music. Then you can use it - the one caveat is that it will not play DRM protected songs.

CoMoNexus

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
You can use the Google Music app to upload your iTunes music.

I did that about a month ago. So far, the experience has been dismal. It took the better part of two days to upload ~1,200 songs. (My upstream connection averages about 2 Mbps, so I don't think that was the bottleneck.) I don't know why it took so long because I thought that GM uploads songs only when it can't find a match. It looks as if GM has to upload the entire song before it can look for a match. Either way, this process put a huge performance drag on my iMac.

On the playback side, GM often stops streaming for no apparent reason, even when my N4 or MacBook Air is connected to Wi-Fi.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Using iOS to me has always felt like trying to kung fu fight in a closet. Getting to settings screens and trying to wrestle the OS into doing what you want it to do just annoyed the hell out of me. Doing something on iOS generally takes more actions than doing the same thing on Android.

Jailbreaking is in no way like and Android experience...it is more like a continuous Apple beta test. It is certainly better than regular iOS, but it is not as good as real Android IMO. And all that stability that iOS is famous for will go out the window with Jailbreaking.

The only Apple product I still use is (ironically) iTunes. While I still don't let it manage my music, it is just hugely convenient...it is easy to find stuff on there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol