Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Problem with display and rebooting

    After charging overnight, my Nexus 4's display won't display properly - when I single press to turn on it shows up as a very dark shade of gray, barely detectable that it is even on. If I long press to reboot, I can see the "X" come up but very dimly...it then goes to my lockscreen and then my homescreen but everthing is extremely dim. I can barely see, but when I try to manually set the brightness, it has no effect. Then it goes into sleep mode and I have to reboot again to get anything to show up. I've never had this issue before in the 5 months since purchase.

    I've been messing with it all morning and a couple times when I rebooted the screen displayed in proper brightness but as soon I stop using it goes back to sleep and I have to reboot. I tried changing the daydream to off and to change the sleep time but no real change.

    Any ideas? - I'm not rooted.
  2. #2  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    13,536 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,810 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

    Default Re: Problem with display and rebooting

    Quote Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
    After charging overnight, my Nexus 4's display won't display properly - when I single press to turn on it shows up as a very dark shade of gray, barely detectable that it is even on. If I long press to reboot, I can see the "X" come up but very dimly...it then goes to my lockscreen and then my homescreen but everthing is extremely dim. I can barely see, but when I try to manually set the brightness, it has no effect. Then it goes into sleep mode and I have to reboot again to get anything to show up. I've never had this issue before in the 5 months since purchase.

    I've been messing with it all morning and a couple times when I rebooted the screen displayed in proper brightness but as soon I stop using it goes back to sleep and I have to reboot. I tried changing the daydream to off and to change the sleep time but no real change.

    Any ideas? - I'm not rooted.
    Not sure how on a Nexus 4, but if you tried clearing the cache in recovery. That might help.

    Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: Problem with display and rebooting

    Golfdriver - don't I have to be rooted to do that?
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Problem with display and rebooting

    Try a factory reset before you do anything crazy. They can work wonders

    Posted via Android Central App
  5. #5  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    13,536 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,810 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

    Default Re: Problem with display and rebooting

    Quote Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
    Golfdriver - don't I have to be rooted to do that?
    Shouldn't need to be. Try powering off, the to reboot into recovery try power and volume up till you see the opening logo. Should come to a menu..use vokume to navigate highlighted bar and select wipe cache partition.

    Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

    Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

    Default Re: Problem with display and rebooting

    Well, I tried clearing the cache and then finally convinced myself to do a factory reset...and it didn't change a thing - including rebooting to a grayed out screen and everything else. Is there any option other than returning it? It's not like I just got it, it's been three months so I'm kinda attached...!
    Last edited by reneeh63; 05-27-2013 at 03:52 PM.
  7. #7  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    13,536 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,810 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

    Default Re: Problem with display and rebooting

    Quote Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
    Well, I tried clearing the cache and then finally convinced myself to do a factory reset...and it didn't change a thing - including rebooting to a grayed out screen and everything else. Is there any option other than returning it? It's not like I just got it, it's been three months so I'm kinda attached...!
    Sorry about delayed response. Try contacting Google. This sounds like a software/ROM issue.

    Sent from my GT-P3113 using Android Central Forums

    Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here

Similar Threads

  1. problems with camera and battery
    By piper09 in forum HTC Hero
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-26-2013, 10:02 AM
  2. Problem with launcherpro and animated weather
    By stolzyboy in forum Android Applications
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-19-2010, 12:03 PM
  3. Problem with 3G and beautiful widgets
    By chetman7 in forum Verizon Droid Incredible
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-26-2010, 12:26 PM
  4. Problem with Market and paid apps after 2.2 upgrade
    By MarqBland in forum HTC EVO 4G
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-10-2010, 08:29 AM
  5. problem with apps and display?...help
    By Kamran1981 in forum Motorola Droid
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-17-2010, 05:17 PM

Posting Permissions

B